Pharmacist Job outlook for Morris County, NJ and/or other areas in NJ

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

DesiRX

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey guys,

Been a licensed pharmacist for a little over three years with both retail and hospital experience. Considering different/newer opportunities in the NJ area....specifically Morris county...anyone that knows of the job outlook/housing market, please comment on whether hospital pharmacy jobs are ridiculously impossible to get, what the salary is like and also what the housing market is like...

I know it's a lot to ask for but any input will be greatly appreciated :)

Members don't see this ad.

While I am not from the immediate area, some of my former colleagues and classmates live in the tri-state region. Their locations very from the Jersey shore through Toms River, all the way up to Morristown (North Jersey) and Fort Lee (close to New York City). The retail opportunity is absolutely abysmal there, as many employees are forced to float and drive 1-2 hours for odd and non-substantial shifts. CVS and Walgreen's are absolutely flooded with applications, both from the newer graduates and the experienced Rph's that were recently laid off. I cannot imagine the hospital situation is faring that much better. I have been to Morristown, NJ to visit a close friend that practices emergency medicine and she absolutely loves the area there. As far as I remember, it is your prototypical and quiet suburban neighborhood.

Tri-State is bad. Very difficult to get hours and the salary is lowest in the country.

Members don't see this ad :)
are you talking about hospital or retail or both? what about jobs in the pharmaceutical industry? Quite a few pharmaceutical companies in NJ.

If you don't have a friend working in industry who can work wonders through HR...forget about it. I'm in South Jersey and the job market is very bleak and opportunities are extremely limited. I'd say the chance of you getting into industry are almost zero without some prior work experience. You'd be competing against fellowship trained graduates. A good way to start is to do temp agency work involving med info or pharmacovigilance.

It's very hard to get a job in New Jersey, regardless of experience. Morris County is especially hard. I used to float in that area and it's completely saturated. Even many parts of eastern Pennsylvania are saturated. And forget New York City if you can't speak Spanish, Mandarin, Cantonese, Hindi, Arabic, Polish, or Russian fluently unless you want to work in a really dangerous neighborhood.

Industry jobs are scarce. There has been a lot of consolidation and plenty of lay-offs across all pharmaceutical companies. You're also competing with far more competition from far more qualified people from all over the world (e.g., multilingual internationals who have worked at Janssen, Sanofi-Aventis, Bayer, Novartis, etc.).

I live, work, and went to pharmacy school in New Jersey. It's tough. Unless you're really, truly open to working in stores in very dangerous towns and cities like East Orange, Irvington, and Trenton.

It's very hard to get a job in New Jersey, regardless of experience. Morris County is especially hard. I used to float in that area and it's completely saturated. Even many parts of eastern Pennsylvania are saturated. And forget New York City if you can't speak Spanish, Mandarin, Cantonese, Hindi, Arabic, Polish, or Russian fluently unless you want to work in a really dangerous neighborhood.

Industry jobs are scarce. There has been a lot of consolidation and plenty of lay-offs across all pharmaceutical companies. You're also competing with far more competition from far more qualified people from all over the world (e.g., multilingual internationals who have worked at Janssen, Sanofi-Aventis, Bayer, Novartis, etc.).

I live, work, and went to pharmacy school in New Jersey. It's tough. Unless you're really, truly open to working in stores in very dangerous towns and cities like East Orange, Irvington, and Trenton.
Thanks for the input! What about jobs in hospitals? Atlantic Health?