Pharmacist job posting for $38/hr

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
But at the same time, like I said above, I want to make absolutely certain that a dental school acceptance is even remotely feasible for someone in my situation before I throw away pharmacy school. You have to hand it to the dental schools.... they have done an excellent job of not saturating their job market like pharmacy has done. Most of the states in the southeast only have 1 dental school each, with a couple states having 2 schools.

Another way of looking at this is..Just how valuable is an acceptance to a PharmD? I understand that you don't want to give up your Pharmacy school acceptance. But i mean, can't you just take this year off, work your butt off improve your app for Dental school and apply next cycle to Dental schools? Holding off for 1-2 more years to try to get into something that'll work for you is a better option than immersing yourself in a profession you've been questioning since you opened an account here.

I wouldn't do the whole stay-in-pharmD-while-trying-to-figure-s**t-out thing if i already had a 60-70k debt. Just my 2 cents. You can probably apply and get into a Pharmacy school whenever you want, whether it's this year or 2-3 years down the road.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
It clearly is an uphill battle for you. First you failed out of an AA program and then enrolled in pharmacy school. In no way can this failure and indecisiveness be considered not detrimental to a dental school application. Be prepared to explain this. Also I am pretty sure X number hours of shadowing is a de facto requirement for dental school, whereas pharmacy schools are now admitting anyone with a pulse these days.

Here is the plot twist, bulldog.... I didn't officially decline my acceptance to pharmacy school, so I have actually been a bona-fide P1 for a week or so. I wanted to make absolutely certain that I actually stand a chance at being accepted to a dental school before I throw my spot in pharmacy school away. I understand that it is now too late for someone on the waitlist to be handed my spot if I decide to withdraw from pharmacy school within the next few days, but I guess that mystery person should have earned a >2.1 GPA and a >15% composite PCAT score. Now that I'm an actual P1, I'm really starting to feel apprehensive about the whole thing (even more than I felt before). Besides the concerns regarding future income and debt, I've really started to ask myself the question, what if I'm truly not cut-out for retail pharmacy? If that's the case, then my only other option will be to work in a hospital pharmacy. However, if I want to work in a hospital pharmacy, I'll have to complete a (most likely) PGY-2 residency. So it's not just the arbitrary fact that residency is required to work in a hospital pharmacy... it's the fear that, if I simply can't handle retail pharmacy, then I'll have no choice but commit myself to 6 more years of school and residency if I want to work at all as a pharmacist. And if I do that, then I'll be in the position of having endured all those years to make a sub-six figure income (combined with $200k+ in loans), even if it is a marginally higher income than $80k. If I don't quit within the next week or so, I will potentially be locking myself into this future, which makes me very apprehensive.

I have also been talking to more and more pharmacists I know in real life over the last few days. One of them is a hospital DOP who sometimes works over 65 hours and deals with lots of stress, and she only makes slightly more than the average primary care physician. Another one is a hospital pharmacist who got fired and works for Walmart now, and he flat-out agreed with me about the years of school and residency training not being worth it. Ironically enough, I didn't mention anything at all about dentistry, and he mentioned his nephew who had recently completed a dental residency and was making over $250k to work 35 hours/week. So now, I'm in the position of having to make a decision very soon in order to avoid being irreversibly committed to pharmacy. But at the same time, like I said above, I want to make absolutely certain that a dental school acceptance is even remotely feasible for someone in my situation before I throw away pharmacy school. You have to hand it to the dental schools.... they have done an excellent job of not saturating their job market like pharmacy has done. Most of the states in the southeast only have 1 dental school each, with a couple states having 2 schools.

BTW, since when are nuclear pharmacists making $200k? Is this after 20+ years of experience? Everything I have read indicates that they make <$120k at Cardinal in most mid-sized cities.

Another way of looking at this is..Just how valuable is an acceptance to a PharmD? I understand that you don't want to give up your Pharmacy school acceptance. But i mean, can't you just take this year off, work your butt off improve your app for Dental school and apply next cycle to Dental schools? Holding off for 1-2 more years to try to get into something that'll work for you is a better option than immersing yourself in a profession you've been questioning since you opened an account here.

I wouldn't do the whole stay-in-pharmD-while-trying-to-figure-s**t-out thing if i already had a 60-70k debt. Just my 2 cents. You can probably apply and get into a Pharmacy school whenever you want, whether it's this year or 2-3 years down the road.

Ah. a bird in the hand is worth two in the bush

no guarantee you will get into dental school and by the time you come around applying, the stats are going to be more competitive than it already is. also, your motivation for dentistry (money rather than passion) will be immensely scrutinized.

You bring up the lowest salary ranges for Pharmacy yet now that you've set your sights on dental school you use their top salaries for positions like orthodontics and oral surgery as examples of why their market is strong and its a better path. You can't have it both ways. If you want to approach it that way, why not bring up the salary of nuclear pharmacists or compounding, both of whom I have seen make upper 100k in GA and in states up north, breaking 200k (and this is from personal relationships, not from the grape vine).

)

What nuclear pharmacists are you talking to? Is the 200k salary an established nuclear pharmacist that has been doing it for years and is getting OT? My friend was offered a job in nuclear last year I believe up in PA and he was offered around 105k and turned the job down due to the significant pay cut (was making >130k at Walgreens in Arizona at the time)

Also he had to become a certified nuclear pharmacist and pay for his own training (increasingly common now where just 5-10 years ago the pharmacies would pay for it for you. ) He also had to be willing to take any job available across the country as openings are few and far between, and a desired area is going to go to someone working in a non-desirable area that is waiting for it to open.

What nuclear pharmacists are you talking to? Is the 200k salary an established nuclear pharmacist that has been doing it for years and is getting OT? My friend was offered a job in nuclear last year I believe up in PA and he was offered around 105k and turned the job down due to the significant pay cut (was making >130k at Walgreens in Arizona at the time)

Also he had to become a certified nuclear pharmacist and pay for his own training (increasingly common now where just 5-10 years ago the pharmacies would pay for it for you. ) He also had to be willing to take any job available across the country as openings are few and far between, and a desired area is going to go to someone working in a non-desirable area that is waiting for it to open.
I personally know of nuclear pharmacist in NJ making that much. Unfortunately do not know the full background behind his rise to that level. However, I'm well aware thats not the norm. I simply was using that to make a point that we cannot compare the cream of the crop in one field and claim is vastly better by comparing it to the lower ranges of another field.

I'm talking without overtime here. Being a BCNP myself, 200k is at the very high end, but that's achievable, however, I only know three or four out of two hundred who are at that range (and I know everyone who went through the Purdue program from my year onwards and have some relationship with the New Mexico one). The more realistic salary is between $140k and $160k for the BCNP staff. The SL/ST at Oak Ridge (the isotope gal, yes, the chief NRC regulatory pharmacist is a lady and is on par with the medical physicists) is somewhere in the $180s. I'm now a desk job away from that practice, but I still make in that realistic range in deference to the practice I was taken away from. It's off and on a two year post PharmD program though, and the NRC licensing is not a joke. If you do work overtime, $200k is easily achievable especially at places considered difficult to live in.

PAtoPharm, I'm not sure what to say at this point that has not been said, but I think you're digging yourself a burnout grave in either profession. With few exceptions, someone who is compulsively worried about money does not really find the health professions a satisfying job (mainly because making that money is really hard comparative to taking people's money like in business).

Reactions: 4 users
@PAtoPharm
Are you in Pharm school now?
just shocking how your point of view on pharmacy has taken a 180 degree. You were head over heals about pharmacy, almost to a point of ignorance, when you were asking silly questions over and over again about saturation and job quality.
I think at some point you have to finish what you started and make the most of it. If you are passionate, have a hustle and bustle type mentality, and hard working you can succeed. When you end up switching careers, you lose precious time and also years of lost earning time. Not to mention, you SN of PAtoPharm loses validity ;)

Reactions: 1 users
Good suggestion; that is something else I have considered. There is a new DO school that was built about 35-40 minutes from where I live that just started accepting students within the last year or so. I was in touch with the admissions director a couple months ago, and it sounds like I would actually have an easier chance of getting an interview invitation from their DO program than I would from the majority of dental schools. However, even though DO school could lead to a high-paying career if I can get into a specialty residency (PM&R would be my residency of choice for good pay/low hours), there is still the issue of having to complete extremely long work-weeks during residency, and there's no guarantee of getting the residency I want. I think it would suck to end up having to settle for something like FP or IM, which wouldn't put me in a significantly better situation than just doing pharmacy (I know a local Walmart PIC whose base salary is over $140k and always gets a surprisingly high bonus at the end of the year).

So the reasons above are why I have started to focus on dental school instead, because even though DO school could possibly work out well, there are still too many "buts" (e.g., doctors do well but have long hours, but what if I don't get the residency I want, etc.). On the other hand, the list of "buts" with dentistry is almost non-existent -- the only downside I can think of is if someone absolutely hates working on teeth; otherwise, the schedule, money, lifestyle, job market projections, and any other factors I can think of are much more promising for dentistry than any other healthcare career.

BTW -- @MichaelScott; ironically enough, the "bird in the hand" mentality is why I originally followed-through with going to AA school instead of holding out for something like dental or medical school, so I'm wary of settling for anything based on that kind of logic.
well it's less of a fallacy and more of reality of your situation. Just wanted to let you know how much harder it is nowadays to get into dental school than pharm school or even a DO school. Good luck with your pursuits and if you do get into dental school, hope you become a great dentist.

Members don't see this ad :)
To me, I think it seems like a case of what people refer to as "diminishing returns"; to state it another way, it's not that I think $85k is a low income on its own -- it just doesn't seem like a worthwhile return for 6 years of school and residency. I've always been the kind of person who likes to make profession-to-profession comparisons (obviously), and when the local newspaper runs a story discussing how graduates of the local technical school's 3-semester dental hygiene program are making close to $80k+ bonuses and benefits in their first jobs, it just makes it hard to feel excited about making the same or marginally more money after going $200k+ in debt (not even considering the $65k of debt I have from the AA school life mistake) and spending 5-6 years in school/residency. Also, the comparison can be made based on the investment of time as well -- I.e., if someone is going to spend 6 years in school/residency to become a hospital pharmacist making $90k, what other professions could they achieve entry to if they are willing to spend that much time in school (and so this is where the comparisons to dental and medical school come in). I'm surprised more people don't have this perspective.

Why not consider pursuing dental hygiene then???

With pharmacy, dental, and DO programs, you are constantly citing the following concerns:
  • Length of program/training
  • Cost of program (loans)
  • Competitiveness of admissions
  • Return On Investment
I think pursuing dental hygiene greatly reduces these concerns and gives you the most bang-for-your-buck, in the shortest amount of time, which seems important to you. And your interest in dentistry implies you wouldn't have a problem with working inside peoples' mouths all day... which is a huge barrier for a lot of people.

The only thing I don't know is what the job market is like for Dental Hygienists? But it has to be better than pharmacy, right??

the local newspaper ran a front-page article touting the local technical school's dental hygiene program and printed a statistic showing that their average starting salary at local dental offices was around $38 an hour. A dental hygienist gets paid the same salary as a residency-trained pharmacist?! Unbelievable....

Why is this unbelievable? Look up some YouTube videos on people going to the dentist for the first time in 10+ years.....seriously, would you want to do this? Length of schooling is NOT the only thing that determines the market worth of a professional. Dental Hygienists commend a high salary for 2 years worth of schooling, because its disgusting work that many people would be too far grossed out by to actually do. Dental Hygienists certainly earn their $38/hour, and if you think its that "unbelievable", well then I suggest you become a dental hygienist.

When I was working at a large health system in Florida we had a clinical pharmacist making $38/hour. I don't know the circumstances behind that rate, but I do know I was offered $42/hr in 2013 and by the end of 2015 I had friends that started there at $46/hr. Considering how unhappy I was with my pay, I can only imagine how that person felt.

Certainly there are locality differences, but from what I have seen in my years as a pharmacist, "clinical" pharmacists have always been the lowest paid...retail pharmacist by far making the most, regular hospital pharmacists 2nd, and "clinical" pharmacists making the least (and strictly "clinical" pharmacist jobs being few and far between....people taking these jobs are doing so for the lifestyle benefits, not for the salary.)

Here is the plot twist, bulldog....

The "plot twist" is, from everything I've read that you've posted, you are still in deep denial/unaware of the realities of what working a particular job entails. Working a job is NOT about salary vs expense required to do that job....it is primarily about whether or not one can actually do that job. You flunked out of AA school, because you were unaware that you couldn't meet the requirements of working under while under stress that that job required.

You are now disillusioned with pharmacy because you are slowly realizing that your idealized version is not what the reality of the job is. Dentistry will be no different.....are you capable of working with a mirror image as dentists must do, are you capable of working with the most disgusting teeth possible as dentists must do, are you willing to deal with the chronic back pain and fatigue from working while leaning over that dentists must do? Do you have the psychological make-up to effectively deal with people who are scared to death of you, who come in hating you because they think you will do nothing but hurt them, people who freak out from real or imagined pain while you are treating them?

This isn't the first time I've told you this, and I'm far from the first person to tell you this, but you will end up with nothing but debt it you don't stop picking your career solely based on income, you need to look at what the actual job entails, and if you/yourself/your individual personality can happily do that job. I know I'm talking to a wall, but for your best interest, you really need to look at what YOUR individual strengths are, and then find a career that will utilize those strengths, instead of just picking a career randomly off the top 10 income list.

Reactions: 5 users
Certainly there are locality differences, but from what I have seen in my years as a pharmacist, "clinical" pharmacists have always been the lowest paid...retail pharmacist by far making the most, regular hospital pharmacists 2nd, and "clinical" pharmacists making the least (and strictly "clinical" pharmacist jobs being few and far between....people taking these jobs are doing so for the lifestyle benefits, not for the salary.)

That's the general hierarchy I've seen too. However, at this hospital it was a hybrid model and everyone was considered a clinical pharmacist. Depending on your shift you may be checking batch or rounding with the ICU team, but everyone did a little bit of everything. The pay range for the position that year was $38-$65, so someone just got a really raw deal.

I really think they were just taking advantage of the terrible job market in South Florida, while also taking advantage of the fact that the area is very isolated from the rest of the country and people tend to live in a little bubble. My friends thought I would like a big pay cut when I moved back north (..to the south), and were shocked to hear I was making >$50/hr at a hospital.

$35-45 per hour is the most i'll ever pay my pharmacist.

Regarding dental hygiene - another big issue with that profession is repetitive motion injury. Most can get used to the 'disgusting' aspect. But talk to a few and see...physical limitations are often a problem for hygienists.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile app

. The pay range for the position that year was $38-$65, so someone just got a really raw deal.

Was this the advertised pay range or the actual pay range of people working there? I've seen advertisements with ridiculous pay ranges, just because human resources never bothered to update their ads, but nobody was actually being hired at the lower end or the range.

What you advised me to do would be good advice to most people,

Ah yes, but you are the exception.

but the only problem is that I don't have any natural strengths/skills that could ever lead to careers paying beyond the standard $35-$45k/year range, and I simply want to have a better lifestyle than what that level of income can provide. I think it was gwarm01 (or maybe someone else) who stated on the forum a few months ago that he considers work to simply be something he has to do to earn money and not necessarily enjoy (just tolerate, at least)

GWARM01 was talking about doing a job he didn't like (but which he presumably can do), this is FAR different from trying to get a job that one just can't do regardless of whether or not they like it. As discussed extensively, the factors that led to your flunking out of PA school are going to make it difficult to work in any medical field. Yes, dentistry is mostly low-stress, but they do have occasional emergencies and you will have to be prepared to handle them (ie, someone has a heart attack or anaphylaxis attack, someone starts hemorrhaging during a tooth pulling because they "forgot" to tell you they are on coumadin. Perhaps my continual naysaying will be the drive you need to overcome your limitations to prove me wrong. Perhaps. I think it will be far more likely you will be here 4 years from now after failing out of another school in the medical field, because the medical field is not right for you.

On the other hand, I shadowed a nurse several years ago and simply couldn't be in the room when he had to change patients' diapers, wipe up crap, bathe them, etc., so I think nursing is a field that I could never work in, regardless of how much it pays.

It's far easier to learn to change diapers and clean puke or poop (which boils down to mind over matter), then it is to learn to perform accurately in high-stress situations.

. In fact, one of the corporate dental chains (Aspen Dental) has a job listing posted on Indeed.com for a dentist to work one day per week, and they are offering a base salary of $745 per day plus 28% production bonus (I.e., they earn 28% of whatever revenue they generate for the practice that day). As a dentist's procedural skills become faster and more honed, it's not hard to see how that compensation structure could result in earnings of $75k-$80k year.

FYI, Dentistry is starting to get encroached on by mid-levels, so there compensation level may be different 10 - 20 years from now.

Edited to add: The reason I thought it was so unbelievable that dental hygienists were making $80k is basically because of how short their schooling is compared to clinical pharmacists.

In a capitalist society, length of schooling really has nothing to do with the salary someone makes. If it did, Ph.D's would be at the top with their 8 -9 years of school. If someone understands basic economics, there is nothing "surprising" about someone with a 2 year degree making $80,000/yr or someone with a 8 - 9 year degree making $30,000/yr.

In a capitalist society, ...

We are indeed living 1984. Doublethink is so ingrained in the population. I love when people blame this mess we're in on capitalism. After WWII communism went global with different franchises fighting engineered battles among each other. There were different flavors. One for the Soviets, one for China, and one for the US. I'm sorry, when you have zombie banks on Wall Street suckling interest off excess reserves from the central bank teat you are communist. When you have counterfeit credit keeping afloat real estate, student loans, and subprime auto, you are commie. When you have a little ole lady march out every 6 weeks to dictate the price of your currency you are commie. When you see the blatant in your face corruption in propping up a candidate to keep all the dead bodies buried...you are living in a commie country.

We are indeed living 1984. Doublethink is so ingrained in the population. I love when people blame this mess we're in on capitalism.

Where did I blame "this mess" we are in on capitalism? I am quite in line with the truth that what we have in the US today is not true capitalism. But it's not true socialism or true anything else either. It's a mixture. And certainly capitalism in the US does figure into people's salaries FAR MORE than length of schooling does, which was the only thing I said in my post. Nowhere did I say that was a problem, because I don't think it is.

Well, your previous posts said repeatedly, that you failed because you couldn't handle high-pressure environments. Now you are saying you failed due to lack of studying. You are right, I only know anything but what you post on here, so I have no idea if you told the truth with your earlier posts (most likely) or if you are telling the truth now. I suspect you don't really know, which is why it would be a good idea for you to get counseling (an idea I suggested which you already pooh-poohed) to help you deal with whatever issues caused you to fail. PA to Pharmacist to Physician to Dentist and the only reason you've given for wanting to do any of those professions is that they make a lot of money.

Reactions: 4 users
Im sorry but you failed out of an entire program because you failed one class's final and the retake? Most programs offer you the ability to sit out the rest of the year and restart the program where you left off and if you STILL fail then you are dropped out of the program. I find it hard to believe one failed class kicked you out of the program. I know DOs, MDs, and PharmDs who failed a class and had to redo the entire year, not get completely kicked out of the program.

Was this the advertised pay range or the actual pay range of people working there? I've seen advertisements with ridiculous pay ranges, just because human resources never bothered to update their ads, but nobody was actually being hired at the lower end or the range.

I think it was an actual pay range. The director would should you this range during your annual evaluation and claimed it was the pay of everyone with your job title. The numbers changed each year so it wasn't a static thing, but now you have me wondering if it wasn't just a ploy to make us feel good about our low pay compared to the bottom person. Or maybe they were in some unique role that couldn't justify a higher rate, maybe something not involved in patient care? Hard to say.

... But damn, a base salary of $745/day plus a 28% revenue cut, plus benefits? It's just hard to beat that kind of deal. It seems like someone would have to be really passionate about pharmacy to be willing to spend 5-6 years in school (I.e., 1-2 years longer than the general dentist), only to come out of school making in 5 days what a part-time chain dentist can make in a single day. I just don't think I have it in me.

I understand that you want a good ROI and that's fine I'll leave that dead horse be. I am genuinely curious, other than money and lifestyle, what interests you in a job? Taking money out of the equation what kind of job would you be looking for? It doesn't sound like it would be in healthcare since most of what you talk about related to healthcare jobs is the money.

Reactions: 2 users
I understand that you want a good ROI and that's fine I'll leave that dead horse be. I am genuinely curious, other than money and lifestyle, what interests you in a job? Taking money out of the equation what kind of job would you be looking for? It doesn't sound like it would be in healthcare since most of what you talk about related to healthcare jobs is the money.

I already told PA that it's really obvious to me that s/he (more likely he IMHO) does not have the personality for a health care career, whether it's as a CNA or a DDS. (No disrespect to CNAs, BTW.)

PAtoPharm's little brother went back to 1955 and accidentally prevented his parents from falling in love, so he's slowly being erased from this timeline.

Reactions: 5 users
Regarding dental hygiene - another big issue with that profession is repetitive motion injury. Most can get used to the 'disgusting' aspect. But talk to a few and see...physical limitations are often a problem for hygienists.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile app

Also, a friend of mine is dental hygienist and that market is getting saturated really effing quick. Relatively low entry requirements yielding pretty decent pay are making the "spin the wheel of careers" people flock to the hygiene programs.

Why are you going back and deleting most of your old posts??
They all say the same thing- he just needs to forget to delete one and you've read then all!
I sure hope that nobody with an old version of this thread open in another window, or stored in their cache aggregates all of PAtoPharm's content and re-posts it here.

At least he has the fact that the last capture on Archive.org for this forum was on 4/30/16 going for him.

Just started considering how much time I've been a member here for and how much I've talked about my past and future plans, so I just figure it might be a good idea (in regards to proceeding forward with any particular alternate plans) to do what I can to remove some of the more personal stuff (where possible)

Why are you going back and deleting most of your old posts??

He apparently thinks if he deletes all his old posts, then that will also delete the fact of his flunking out of PA school because he couldn't deal with stress, and then he'll be able to be a rick dentist with no problems. Maybe he is afraid admissions at the schools he is applying to will read his old posts and see the obvious problems that everyone here has seen.

Sigh. PA, I guess you think we are all just bringing you down, but we really are trying to help you when we discourage you to sign up for more tens of thousands of dollars debt in a field that it seems obvious is not right for you. Student loans are forEVAH. Getting admitted isn't your problem, graduating will be your problem. You could at least thank me for reminding you that all your old posts said you flunked out due to being unable to handle stressful situations, since your new mantra apparently is going to be that you just didn't study enough.

Also, a friend of mine is dental hygienist and that market is getting saturated really effing quick. Relatively low entry requirements yielding pretty decent pay are making the "spin the wheel of careers" people flock to the hygiene programs.

A sad fact that people don't realize is that every single possible career option is satisfied. Everyone wants to find the field that would be like pharmacy in the mid-2000's, but there is no such field. The problem is baby boomer's aren't retiring, because they never bothered to save for retirement expecting that other people would pay for that, they aren't ever going to be able to afford to retire. Baby boomers will hold onto a good percentage of the jobs until they die....at which point, less of all jobs, especially in the medical field will be needed, because of the lesser population.

Reactions: 2 users
Another piece of advice, PAtoPharm, generally speaking people imagine stuff to be far worse than reality.....so you would be better off not deleting your posts, and instead coming up with a mature way to explain how you've grown since those posts. By deleting them, people will wonder what was so bad that you had to delete it, and what people imagine will most likely be far worse than anything you actually posted.

Another piece of advice, PAtoPharm, generally speaking people imagine stuff to be far worse than reality.....so you would be better off not deleting your posts, and instead coming up with a mature way to explain how you've grown since those posts. By deleting them, people will wonder what was so bad that you had to delete it, and what people imagine will most likely be far worse than anything you actually posted.

I was just deleting posts as a sort of "insurance policy," if you will. The way I'm looking at it is, what if a dental school adcom member happens to browse over SDN, see a series of posts from someone who was previously in AA school and then pharmacy school for <1 semester, and now an application from someone with a similarly unique academic history is sitting right in front of them? There's probably nobody else in the history of dental school admissions who ever applied with that kind of background, so I am essentially doxing myself just by putting those facts out there. So isn't it a good idea to prevent a scenario like that from happening in the first place?

PAtoPharm's little brother went back to 1955 and accidentally prevented his parents from falling in love, so he's slowly being erased from this timeline.
You pulled this from Steins gate, didn't you?

I was just deleting posts as a sort of "insurance policy," if you will. The way I'm looking at it is, what if a dental school adcom member happens to browse over SDN, see a series of posts from someone who was previously in AA school and then pharmacy school for <1 semester, and now an application from someone with a similarly unique academic history is sitting right in front of them? There's probably nobody else in the history of dental school admissions who ever applied with that kind of background, so I am essentially doxing myself just by putting those facts out there. So isn't it a good idea to prevent a scenario like that from happening in the first place?
once its on the internet, its there.

once its on the internet, its there.

yes, but deleting the original posts themselves makes it much less likely that anyone will come across their content (because as MindGeek mentioned, Archive.org hasn't archived this forum since April), especially since the only records of the posts I delete will be in excerpts of my posts that were quoted by others. And even if my posts were stored on Archive.org, what adcom is going to spend hours and hours searching the archive for random suspicious posts?

yes, but deleting the original posts themselves makes it much less likely that anyone will come across their content (because as MindGeek mentioned, Archive.org hasn't archived this forum since April), especially since the only records of the posts I delete will be in excerpts of my posts that were quoted by others. And even if my posts were stored on Archive.org, what adcom is going to spend hours and hours searching the archive for random suspicious posts?

Very true. I think the adcom will still want to know why you started and never finished PA or pharmacy school. But you are right, I agree that it is highly unlikely they will be looking for posts on archive.org for the answer.

Very true. I think the adcom will still want to know why you started and never finished PA or pharmacy school. But you are right, I agree that it is highly unlikely they will be looking for posts on archive.org for the answer.

I agree, the big issue will be explaining how I went from AA school to pharmacy school to dental school. And even though I'm not expecting them to actively search SDN for posts made by potential applicants, what I'm more apprehensive about is them accidentally stumbling upon the posts when/if they occasionally browse the site.

See, it was basically a realization of sorts that hit me the other day: the more specific the events in my saga become, and the more I post about them, the more identifiable I become. For example, what if I apply on a whim to podiatry schools (even less competitive than pharmacy schools), get accepted and enroll, and then drop out during the first week of classes to follow through on applying to dental schools? Then I will have to submit transcripts from undergrad, AA school, pharmacy school, and podiatry school. That would make it even easier to narrow me down.

I agree, the big issue will be explaining how I went from AA school to pharmacy school to dental school. And even though I'm not expecting them to actively search SDN for posts made by potential applicants, what I'm more apprehensive about is them accidentally stumbling upon the posts when/if they occasionally browse the site.

See, it was basically a realization of sorts that hit me the other day: the more specific the events in my saga become, and the more I post about them, the more identifiable I become. For example, what if I apply on a whim to podiatry schools (even less competitive than pharmacy schools), get accepted and enroll, and then drop out during the first week of classes to follow through on applying to dental schools? Then I will have to submit transcripts from undergrad, AA school, pharmacy school, and podiatry school. That would make it even easier to narrow me down.

I think you should just stick with pharmacy and stop listening to all of the the gloom doom. If you are graduating with <150k debt and willing to move anywhere to work, then I think you will be okay. There is a reason why you didn't do well in PA/AA school, it is probably going to be the same with dental school, but this time you are going to be stuck with 300k+ loans and no way out.