Pharmacist refusing to fill morning-after pill

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

goheel

15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
I was having a heated debate with this person about pharmacist refusing to fill morning-after pill. He was saying that the pharmacist's job is to fill the prescription, no question asked. My response was that it's totally within a pharmacist's legal rights to refuse to fill any prescription. I also was trying to point out that the pharmacists who refused to fill morning-after pill are only the minority of the practicing pharmacists. Does anyone know what's the percentage of pharmacists who refuse to fill morning-after pill? I doubt it's any more than .1%

Members don't see this ad.

goheel said:
I was having a heated debate with this person about pharmacist refusing to fill morning-after pill. He was saying that the pharmacist's job is to fill the prescription, no question asked. My response was that it's totally within a pharmacist's legal rights to refuse to fill any prescription. I also was trying to point out that the pharmacists who refused to fill morning-after pill are only the minority of the practicing pharmacists. Does anyone know what's the percentage of pharmacists who refuse to fill morning-after pill? I doubt it's any more than .1%
I don't have a clue about percentages. I did work with a pharmacist a few years back that refused to fill a prescription for a girl (Rx 1: Take 2 OvCon's stat and 2 more in 12 hours/ Rx 2: Promethazine)<--- something like that. Anyway, at the time I didn't know why that would be prescribed and why she wouldn't fill it so I asked. She said it's was an abortion cocktail so she lied and told the girl we didn't have OvCon and that we couldn't order it.

Just for clarification, neither of those regimens are abortifacients.

Whether it is legal to refuse is determined on a state by state basis. I think one state had some mandatory dispensing hullbaloo for Plan B. Keep in mind that although it may be legal to refuse, in some circumstances refusing can result in civil liability.

Members don't see this ad :)
I support a pharmacists right to autonomy for one reason. And that reason is because I'm going to start refusing to fill Xopenex due to my own moral objections. I'm morally opposed to dingus pharmaceutical companies fooling the entire medical community into thinking their faux-revolutionary products are worth a dime. Let's see if I can get on TV!!!

Reactions: 1 users
I think it is more of an issue of a pharmacists right than anything. If pharmacists lose the right to use critical thinking skills on what medications to dispense they become robots and people get hurt. I am just a humble, inexperienced student but I have talked to many pharmacists that they say that they have not just saved lives but made some people's lives easier by just looking at the prescription and make sure that it makes sense to the patient. This issue that pharmacists should just fill and not second guess what has been written goes completely what the pharmacist is for in health care. I may not know much yet but one thing I do know is that maybe I'll go days or years without having to refuse to fill a prescription but the minute that I do it may save a life.

I don't have a clue about percentages. I did work with a pharmacist a few years back that refused to fill a prescription for a girl (Rx 1: Take 2 OvCon's stat and 2 more in 12 hours/ Rx 2: Promethazine)<--- something like that. Anyway, at the time I didn't know why that would be prescribed and why she wouldn't fill it so I asked. She said it's was an abortion cocktail so she lied and told the girl we didn't have OvCon and that we couldn't order it.

Holy cow. I didn't know religious nuts like that could not be flagged in pharmacy school. That's just as bad as the pharmacists that refuse to give out free needles to opiate addicts and propagate viral infections from needle sharing.

Holy cow. I didn't know religious nuts like that could not be flagged in pharmacy school. That's just as bad as the pharmacists that refuse to give out free needles to opiate addicts and propagate viral infections from needle sharing.
being pro-life doesn't mean "religious nut"... differing beliefs don't necessarily need to be mocked

Reactions: 2 users
Holy cow. I didn't know religious nuts like that could not be flagged in pharmacy school.

You do realize that just like there are "religious nuts" who support abortion/Plan B/BCP rights, there are also atheists who are against abortion/Plan B/BCP ? People are individuals and often have a wide range of beliefs (sometimes contradictory.)

My opinion as a Catholic is that it's totally okay to just fill it. I'm not the abortion police...I can't make a judgment or even question a patient about why she's having an abortion...maybe the fetus isn't viable and they have to get it. I don't know their story...

Reactions: 1 user

Worst poster award on SDN goes to this guy^.

I'm not sure of statistics, but I personally know several pro-life pharmacists that feel very strongly about this and would oppose dispensing it as well. Or at least they would let the other staff pharmacist fill it rather than do it themselves. Srs.

Worst poster award on SDN goes to this guy^.

I'm not sure of statistics, but I personally know several pro-life pharmacists that feel very strongly about this and would oppose dispensing it as well. Or at least they would let the other staff pharmacist fill it rather than do it themselves. Srs.
I'm guessing you don't live in NYC or LA or San fran. That insubordinate behavior based on a arbitrary voodoo belief system would never fly at a pharmacy in Manhattan or Chicago. I'm guessing you are from a backwards state that still supports capital punishment.

I don't give jack for free. Post your pharmacy address and I'll come get all my needles from you for free instead of paying my wholesaler.
I'm guessing you don't live in NYC or LA or San fran. That insubordinate behavior based on a arbitrary voodoo belief system would never fly at a pharmacy in Manhattan or Chicago. I'm guessing you are from a backwards state that still supports capital punishment.
Two of the four cities you named are in a state with the death penalty.

Reactions: 5 users

You don't have to be religious to be against discarding human life as if it were trash. If someone decides that a baby is inconvenient and wants to abort I will play no role whatsoever in that process. What's really nutty is trying forcing pharmacists by law to do this kind of crap under the excuse of "accessibility". The patient has the right to seek a provider, they don't have the right to force a provider to do something, especially if it isn't medical necessity.

All liberal hellholes.

Last edited:
I don't give jack for free. Post your pharmacy address and I'll come get all my needles from you for free instead of paying my wholesaler.

Two of the four cities you named are in a state with the death penalty.

Capital punishment is a legal form of punishment in the U.S. state of California, though executions are currently on hold due to lethal injection litigation.

Capital punishment is de facto illegal in California.

Once again, your contribution to this forum is hilarious. Go sing Everlast in the mirror and quit posting here.

Insubordinate to who? You? Thank you for bumping this thread over 10 years to inform us all that religious persons should be "flagged" in pharmacy school. Cool idea.