Pharmacist turned MD?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

rutgerspharmd

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello,

I was wondering if there are any pharmacists out there who have decided to pursue a career in medicine instead. If so, what made you decide to shift careers and was it worth it? Where did you work as a pharmacist (retail, hospital dispensing, clinical pharmacy, etc.)?

Thanks.

Members don't see this ad.

Hey there Rutgers! I graduated from EMSOP last yr! I am going to be applying to med schools this summer for fall 2009. Ive always wanted to go to med school but i got sidetracked from my German parents who convinced me that women should be moms not doctors... anyway I still dont want to be a mom and I still want to be a MD- so here I am! I currently am doing a residency- so clinical to answer your question. Also, I live out west now but Ive heard that UMDNJ "loves pharmacists" from multiple ppl. So if your interested in staying in NJ that might help. Otherwise, Ive mostly heard that schools may give you grief for changing professions.

I can't offer any real insight, but there is a pharmD in my med school class--he's the only one in the class this year with a doctorate in anything, and the deans seemed pretty proud of it. As long as you have a good answer to the "Why do you want to be a doctor," I'm sure they'll eat up those letters that come after your name. Good luck!

Members don't see this ad :)
It's good to know there are others like me out there. I feel like such a minority and my friends just think I am plain insane. I am currently in my second year of pharmacy school. So after a year of class and a year of rotation, I will be graduating. I don't know if I should work and get some money to pay for the school or just study while I have all the science background.

hey guys....
no pharmacy here , but close....!
i did 2 degrees in dentistry ....first was a foreign BDS( bachelor of dental surgery) then an american DDS from UCHSC .....iam currently applying to a combined MD/PhD programs all over!
regards

hey guys....
no pharmacy here , but close....!
i did 2 degrees in dentistry ....first was a foreign BDS( bachelor of dental surgery) then an american DDS from UCHSC .....iam currently applying to a combined MD/PhD programs all over!
regards

why are you switching from dental to med??

I haven't switched yet but I'm looking to make the switch in a year or so. I'm getting tired of retail pharmacy and want to be more involved in patient care. I've been working for about 41/2 years.

Reactions: 1 user
why are you switching from dental to med??

hi....
iam not really switching entirely!
i will probably continue to practice dentistry ....at least as a part time.....
its just that ....medicine seems more challenging!! ....just one more challenge to keep urself fresh and polished! ...i guess...:D

pharmacy03:
good luck with that.....they should be looking at that as an extra qualification than a regular bachelor......but , i will have to warn u ....! not all schools are that smart about it! .....some will keep bothering u about why ur doing that in a very silly matter! ....during my application process, it seemed to me that more prestigious schools look at u in all aspects.....rather than just seeing u from one prospective or number.....even though my numbers are pretty high too!

Hi all,

It appears that there is not much action on this thread, but I am hoping to get some advice (if anyone sees this).

I am a Pharm.D., BCPS who completed a PGY-1 general pharmacy residency and currently work as clinical/staff at a hospital and per-diem at a retail chain. I enjoy working in the hospital, but feel that there is so much more I can do for the patients and the pay pales in comparison to retail. There is no way I could ever see myself working retail full time.

I have always considered the idea of becoming a physician, but decided to become a pharmacist because I felt this would allow me to have more time at home to spend with the family. Well I love to be at work and feel that my greatest contribution to my family is my ability to work a lot and pay the bills. Also, my wife and multiple family members agree that I should go back to medical school.

Has anyone considered the financial implications of forgoing 7-10 years of pharmacist salary to be a medical student/resident/fellow? Does the end justify the means (other than the greater good of helping others).

I haven't been in school in almost 4 years, so I have no professors to write letters or any recent volunteer hours because I work a ton.

I am also having a baby in June, so I have to factor that in...

Well, any thoughts would be welcomed. Thanks and best of luck to all in their endeavors.

Hi all,

It appears that there is not much action on this thread, but I am hoping to get some advice (if anyone sees this).

I am a Pharm.D., BCPS who completed a PGY-1 general pharmacy residency and currently work as clinical/staff at a hospital and per-diem at a retail chain. I enjoy working in the hospital, but feel that there is so much more I can do for the patients and the pay pales in comparison to retail. There is no way I could ever see myself working retail full time.

I have always considered the idea of becoming a physician, but decided to become a pharmacist because I felt this would allow me to have more time at home to spend with the family. Well I love to be at work and feel that my greatest contribution to my family is my ability to work a lot and pay the bills. Also, my wife and multiple family members agree that I should go back to medical school.

Has anyone considered the financial implications of forgoing 7-10 years of pharmacist salary to be a medical student/resident/fellow? Does the end justify the means (other than the greater good of helping others).

I haven't been in school in almost 4 years, so I have no professors to write letters or any recent volunteer hours because I work a ton.

I am also having a baby in June, so I have to factor that in...

Well, any thoughts would be welcomed. Thanks and best of luck to all in their endeavors.

I am in also in the a similar situation...obviously you cannot go for the financial reasons because you wouldn't get out until you're well into your 40s (with a good specialty)...considering lost salary and investment capital---it's probably all a wash. You gotta go because you cannot imagine yourself doing anything else.