Pharmacists and phone etiquette

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Swishers

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Professional courtesy

One of the most frequent peeves pharmacists mentioned in their e-mail feedback was that other pharmacists don’t pick up the phone for an Rx transfer. Pharmacists are placed on hold for an eternity — they’re being shown no respect whatsoever.

I received an e-mail from a pharmacist who said he is annoyed by “pharmacists who have no consideration for the time of other pharmacists. [They] leave you on the phone forever and in some instances pick up the phone, find out you are another pharmacist, and put you on hold again.”

http://drugtopics.modernmedicine.com/drug-topics/news/pharmacists-and-phone-etiquette?cfcache=true

The CVS and Walgreens pharmacies in my area are notorious for this. I'll occasionally purposely keep them on hold for a few minutes when I'm not busy just out of spite.

Members don't see this ad.

Retail pharmacists and passive-aggressive butthurt go hand in hand. Like customers and prescriber's offices aren't put on hold for an eternity

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
None of the pharmacists at competitors I deal with around here are like that, we all try to get to the phone pretty quick if we know it's another pharmacy waiting for a transfer. I don't mind if they call the prescriber line either, but customers doing it is slightly annoying. I will admit I don't always rush to get customers who have been put on hold though.

None of the pharmacists at competitors I deal with around here are like that, we all try to get to the phone pretty quick if we know it's another pharmacy waiting for a transfer. I don't mind if they call the prescriber line either, but customers doing it is slightly annoying. I will admit I don't always rush to get customers who have been put on hold though.

I guess it depends on how you've been trained. I don't do much retail anymore, but was taught to get prescribers' calls immediately and drop everything that u are doing For various reasons and also it's a different phone ring for a reason I've been told. This why it frustrates me when pts try to use it.

http://drugtopics.modernmedicine.com/drug-topics/news/pharmacists-and-phone-etiquette?cfcache=true

The CVS and Walgreens pharmacies in my area are notorious for this. I'll occasionally purposely keep them on hold for a few minutes when I'm not busy just out of spite.

I work at a 5000 rx/week CVS store. I got 4 doctor calls in front of you, a patient consult, and 3 waiters about to go red in the next 3 minutes. I've seen three figures on my hourly dispensing time report during the afternoon. You print that mug out and "that's when readyfills dropped" at other stores is my Monday at 1PM. WTF makes you think you are so special that you get to jump the line in front of all the other issues I have to deal with? Sorry, but you're waiting. I don't give a rat's ass if you put me on hold. I already have you on speaker and I've got the next waiter in hand while listening for the hold music to stop and a human to start talking. That just means the other pharmacist on takes all the calls and I get a nice break from the madness to just verify for a few minutes. Feel free to keep me on hold for 20 minutes.

Last edited:
Reactions: 4 users
With the ability to fax most transfers, if I'm busy I'll just tell them ill fax it in the next half hour.

Reactions: 1 user
Phone etiquette with other pharmacists is very important and I remember when I worked at a chain I was a lot more rude because corporate just turns you into a soulless robot who forgets humanity. Even pharmacists in my own district were buttholes to me for no reason! But now at an independent, I realized it's important for me to transfer ASAP especially if a patient's say, away on vacation...so later that out-of-state pharmacist won't be like, "Geez, your home pharmacy has got me on hold for so long, it looks like they don't want you to get your meds in a timely manner..."

"Even pharmacists in my own district were buttholes to me for no reason!"

What if....maybe....there was a reason.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G890A using SDN mobile

Reactions: 4 users
I have a bigger problem with pharmacists and sometimes patients calling on the prescribers' line.
Really . You have a problem with pharmacist callig the doctor line to get a transfer from you?

Really . You have a problem with pharmacist callig the doctor line to get a transfer from you?
I don't take much issue with it, but I would never do it.

Probably because they are filling 500 scripts with 1 tech

I don't get this either, but I don't work for a company that has a super secret line for prescribers.

Can anyone explain why this is an issue? I have wondered this since I got chewed out by a Rite Aid pharmacist for calling on the doctor's line, why does it really matter?

Members don't see this ad :)
Am I the only one who considers it the pharmacist line? Why would I want to talk to the techs when I need a transfer?

Reactions: 8 users
Am I the only one who considers it the pharmacist line? Why would I want to talk to the techs when I need a transfer?
Because techs can perform transfers in some states?

I have a bigger problem with pharmacists and sometimes patients calling on the prescribers' line.

Yes this! I use the line you are calling in on to triage calls. If a fellow rph calls on the regular line and requests a transfer they get my immediate attention. If a fellow rph calls on the prescriber line they get put on hold. Longer than they need to be. You have to give respect to get it. You are not a prescriber. Use the appropriate line and I will bend over backward to help you.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

I consider it the pharmacist line too. In the state of Florida techs can't do transfer.
The pharmacist who yells at another pharmacist for using the Doctor line must be very rude.

Reactions: 5 users
Yes this! I use the line you are calling in on to triage calls. If a fellow rph calls on the regular line and requests a transfer they get my immediate attention. If a fellow rph calls on the prescriber line they get put on hold. Longer than they need to be. You have to give respect to get it. You are not a prescriber. Use the appropriate line and I will bend over backward to help you.

You are very angry and rude

I don't get this either, but I don't work for a company that has a super secret line for prescribers.

Can anyone explain why this is an issue? I have wondered this since I got chewed out by a Rite Aid pharmacist for calling on the doctor's line, why does it really matter?

At some companies the "doctor line" rings differently (annoyingly at CVS). Sometimes you just need an extra 60 seconds to finish something you're in the middle of before doing the transfer. If a pharmacist calls the regular line, the tech can place them on hold (briefly), and you can do the transfer once you've cleared your screen. It just helps you prioritize your work by knowing what is waiting for you on the other end of the line. If everyone called the "secret line" then you wouldn't be able to triage.

All that being said, it isn't that hard to be honest with people and tell them you don't have time and you'll call them back within an hour. There's no reason to make someone wait on hold for 30min. I mean if you're slammed, own it. It's not like your 10 waiters, 3 doctors calls and 4 flu shots are gonna disappear in the next 5min and free you up to give a transfer.

I consider it the pharmacist line too. In the state of Florida techs can't do transfer.
The pharmacist who yells at another pharmacist for using the Doctor line must be very rude.

"you" can consider it whatever you wish.. First of all it's not a "doctors' line" it's a PRESCRIBERS' line... Odds are you are doctor too, with a pharmd. Again, there is a different phone ring to a prescribers' line for a reason and it serves an important purposes. Just like there such a thing as a "waiter" in retail pharmacy, there is a prescribers' line. The reasons are common sense.

"you" can consider it whatever you wish.. First of all it's not a "doctors' line" it's a PRESCRIBERS' line... Odds are you are doctor too, with a pharmd. Again, there is a different phone ring to a prescribers' line for a reason and it serves an important purposes. Just like there such a thing as a "waiter" in retail pharmacy, there is a prescribers' line. The reasons are common sense.
Pharmacist's line means it is answered mostly by pharmacist. So i dont see anything wrong when a fellow rph uses the provider's line to get a copy from you

Pharmacist's line means it is answered mostly by pharmacist. So i dont see anything wrong when a fellow rph uses the provider's line to get a copy from you

Heck I get upset when someone doesnt call my line, just wastes the techs time.

Maybe your pharmacy has a "pharmacist line", most sure don't.

I worked for CVS, when you call, the phone message is "PRESCRIBERS press 2"

I also interned at Rite Aid, when you call the phone message is "if you are calling from a DOCTOR'S office press 8"

I had a rotation at Walgreens, the phone message states "if you are prescriber press 1"

I never heard of a pharmacist line. If you do hear an option for pharmacist line, yes you should def select that option.

I also interned at Rite Aid, when you call the phone message is "if you are calling from a DOCTOR'S office press 8"

I had a rotation at Walgreens, the phone message states "if you are prescriber press 1"

I never heard of a pharmacist line. If you do hear an option for pharmacist line, yes you should def select that option.

I'm beginning to see why some stores struggle. Everytime a tech answers a call that isn't for them wastes probably 30 seconds. That's precious time that could have been used to fill a script, help a customer, or enter a script.

Also what do you think the prescriber line is meant for? Its meant to get the pharmacist not tech. Why use the line a tech will answer?

Last edited:

Every time I call CVS I hit "2" and always get a tech not very "prescriber" friendly and don't get me started on Wags' horrific phone system here in AZ.

I still have yet to see a reasonable response to why a pharmacist cannot use the prescriber line. I can't do a transfer with a technician, so wouldn't it be in the interest of both parties for me to get to the pharmacist asap? I have no qualms with a pharmacist putting me on hold, but I don't need a tech to put me on hold to transfer me to the RPH to put me on hold, and so on.

Every time I call CVS I hit "2" and always get a tech not very "prescriber" friendly and don't get me started on Wags' horrific phone system here in AZ.

I still have yet to see a reasonable response to why a pharmacist cannot use the prescriber line. I can't do a transfer with a technician, so wouldn't it be in the interest of both parties for me to get to the pharmacist asap? I have no qualms with a pharmacist putting me on hold, but I don't need a tech to put me on hold to transfer me to the RPH to put me on hold, and so on.

Don't worry, you will understand once you become a pharmacist

I'm beginning to see why some stores struggle. Everytime a tech answers a call that isn't for them wastes probably 30 seconds. That's precious time that could have been used to fill a script, help a customer, or enter a script.

Also what do you think the prescriber line is meant for? Its meant to get the pharmacist not tech. Why use the line a tech will answer?

Really? It takes 30 seconds to say I want to get a copy??

So if a customer wants to talk to a pharmacist on why their copay is high, they can use that line too? Do you know how many calls you would get a day then?

Stores struggle b/c they don't know how to filter calls. If the provider's line is abused, it will be the pharmacist always picking up the phone when 85% of the calls don't require their assistance.

That line is for doctors. Obviously, nobody follows that policy as you have customers and other pharmacies calling for things most likely won't require the assistance of a pharmacist (stock check, supplies, scheduling, what's the fax numbers...).

When I call other CVS or stores, I never use the doctor lines, even for transfers. My calls aren't urgent. If I'm put on hold, I can stay on hold or call back. I know how busy it can get. I'm not going to rush a pharmacist to think it's urgent by calling the doctor's line.

If you don't like being on hold, hang up. Keep doing what you are doing and call back. The world doesn't end when you can't get a transfer in the first call.

Reactions: 1 users
So you can't answer that either, gotcha.
Multiple people have already answered. It seems you're just having trouble understanding due to lack of pharmacist-ing.

Multiple people have already answered. It seems you're just having trouble understanding due to lack of pharmacist-ing.

I spend 75 hours a week in a pharmacy which is more than most of you, granted I can't verify prescriptions, but that is literally the only thing I do not do. There has not been a single viable answer as to why a single line should only be used by providers. 90% of prescriber's calls could just go to the IVR, it actually is probably safer for patients anyways this way. The fact of the matter is that pharmacists, and interns since you guys love to focus on that, should have every right to use the prescriber line.

I spend 75 hours a week in a pharmacy which is more than most of you, granted I can't verify prescriptions, but that is literally the only thing I do not do. There has not been a single viable answer as to why a single line should only be used by providers. 90% of prescriber's calls could just go to the IVR, it actually is probably safer for patients anyways this way. The fact of the matter is that pharmacists, and interns since you guys love to focus on that, should have every right to use the prescriber line.

Just because you don't agree with the answers provided doesn't mean they aren't viable. It's simple. This line was created to allow prescribers to quickly and efficiently call in orders. If you let other people use it, then it defeats the purpose. It's like the boy who cried wolf. And what makes you think a voicemail recorded at the speed of light from a cell phone with a terrible connection is the safest way to transcribe an order? If you've got a person on the line you can tell them to slow the eff down and repeat themselves when necessary. Obviously IVR is the most convenient for all parties, but safest?

When is use to work at a clinic, I would make an effort for small talk with all the local pharmacist who called for copies. Some of them were former interns or classmates. Pharmacy is a small world why be a dick to a fellow Rph. I knew all the pharmacist by name who worked at the local independent, CVS, Walgreens, walmart, and Target. We would help each other out by faxing if there were too many copies or doing our best to help each other. I became friends with the owner of the independent pharmacy next door(his name was James) and he offered me a job at his pharmacy because he liked me based on phone conversations and my willingness to be helpful. The pharmacist who works at Target always calls me Sweetie. Try to make friends, not enemies.

My mother was discharged from a hospital one time and the doctor gave me a piece of paper with a phone number on it. He told me to call that number and go pick up the drugs. I had no address, no idea which drugs. I call the number and it goes straight to the pharmacist. I ask nicely which pharmacy is this and which drug. The pharmacist had the nerve to lecture me on calling the doctors line. I told the pharmacist that the doctor only gave me this number and I was a pharmacist and I was surprised how rude she was. She apologized after I told her the district manager at the CVS she works at is my friend and classmate from school.

Really? It takes 30 seconds to say I want to get a copy??

So if a customer wants to talk to a pharmacist on why their copay is high, they can use that line too? Do you know how many calls you would get a day then?

Stores struggle b/c they don't know how to filter calls. If the provider's line is abused, it will be the pharmacist always picking up the phone when 85% of the calls don't require their assistance.

That line is for doctors. Obviously, nobody follows that policy as you have customers and other pharmacies calling for things most likely won't require the assistance of a pharmacist (stock check, supplies, scheduling, what's the fax numbers...).

When I call other CVS or stores, I never use the doctor lines, even for transfers. My calls aren't urgent. If I'm put on hold, I can stay on hold or call back. I know how busy it can get. I'm not going to rush a pharmacist to think it's urgent by calling the doctor's line.

If you don't like being on hold, hang up. Keep doing what you are doing and call back. The world doesn't end when you can't get a transfer in the first call.

Thank you for wasting my techs time then. Next time you need to talk to me, call my line. Don't waste my techs time. Less then 1 out of 10 calls that are on the PHARMACIST line aren't actually for me.

Efficiency is key in pharmacy. You can say I'm wrong but I'm also one of the few that actually enjoys my job so maybe I know what I'm talking about.

Reactions: 2 users
I honestly didn't know you could press 2-2 to get to the pharmacist quickly at CVS. All this time, I've been pressing 3-4 just to get in touch with the pharmacy.

Well maybe the pharmacists complaining about long hold times for transfers are the ones using the prescribers line.

I have two rules for transfers. If you call me on the prescribers line you are going to wait until I am free plus a little extra. And if you put me on hold (allll the time with mail order) for more than 30 seconds I am going to hang up.

Don't do either of those things and I'll get you your transfer immediately.

But it is not a pharmacists line. It is a prescriber line and it is used to triage calls based on who can perform what functions.

In my state techs can perform transfers.

My mother was discharged from a hospital one time and the doctor gave me a piece of paper with a phone number on it. He told me to call that number and go pick up the drugs. I had no address, no idea which drugs. I call the number and it goes straight to the pharmacist. I ask nicely which pharmacy is this and which drug. The pharmacist had the nerve to lecture me on calling the doctors line. I told the pharmacist that the doctor only gave me this number and I was a pharmacist and I was surprised how rude she was. She apologized after I told her the district manager at the CVS she works at is my friend and classmate from school.

This post is hilarious when combined with the one above it where you say to make friends not enemies and then threaten a fellow pharmacist because you know their supervisor. You've never had a bad day and been blunt or rude on the phone. Sure. Unbelievable.

Thank you for wasting my techs time then. Next time you need to talk to me, call my line. Don't waste my techs time. Less then 1 out of 10 calls that are on the PHARMACIST line aren't actually for me.

Efficiency is key in pharmacy. You can say I'm wrong but I'm also one of the few that actually enjoys my job so maybe I know what I'm talking about.

If less than 1 in 10 calls on the prescriber (not pharmacist - a pharmacist line does not exist) line are not for you then you are in some sort of pharmacist wonderland. Less than half of the calls I get on my prescriber (not pharmacist) line necessitate a pharmacist.

Then keep doing what you are doing. But don't complain or argue when others don't operate that way. People have different ways of operating.

Then keep doing what you are doing. But don't complain or argue when others don't operate that way. People have different ways of operating.

The difference is all you care about is your own precious time. I care about efficiency which is why I'm not the one complaining about my job.

Last edited:
Well maybe the pharmacists complaining about long hold times for transfers are the ones using the prescribers line.

I have two rules for transfers. If you call me on the prescribers line you are going to wait until I am free plus a little extra. And if you put me on hold (allll the time with mail order) for more than 30 seconds I am going to hang up.

Don't do either of those things and I'll get you your transfer immediately.

You can make the fellow rph wait for 30 minutes because they use the prescriber' s line if that makes you feel better. That is

Last edited:
Shi

The difference is all you care about is your own precious time. I care about efficiency which is why I'm not the one complaining about my job.

My store is top 2% in the company. Really? Don't assume about what you know. Just do what you do is best. But don't whine and complain when others have their own methods.

My store is top 2% in the company. Really? Don't assume about what you know. Just do what you do is best. But don't whine and complain when others have their own methods.

All I'm hearing from you is complaining. Congrats on 2%, seems like you truly enjoy what you do.

All I'm hearing from you is complaining. Congrats on 2%, seems like you truly enjoy what you do.

I complain about my tech budget. I do 4000+ on 260 tech hours. That's the only thing I complain about. As a result, efficiency is extremely crucial important in my pharmacy for us to do what we do.

But again, every pharmacy operates differently; not every store is the same. Do what you do best.

But being put on hold when you call for a transfer isn't poor phone etiquette or the end of the world. It's not life or death. It could be that the pharmacy is extremely busy, and you just have to hold as the people who are working hard prioritize through their tasks.

we had a new grocery store pharm open across the street from my wags a few months ago so we were doing a lot of transfers (only to be transferred back after pt gets free groceries).

Anyways, the staff pharmacist there expected everything to be sent over basically immediately (im talking full profiles). One day he sent over this fax that was a typed written note complaining that we never pick up the phone (he wasnt even calling the right number half the time we later found out/our store is like 300 rx a day so we have time to answer most calls in a timely manner) and from now on he would fax over all transfer resquests. I forget what else he wrote on there exactly but it was sooo unprofessional and rude the way he wrote it. my rxm was like what the hell and brought it to her boss;s attn and lets just say that the pharmacist across the street no longer works there.

I talk to the rxm there a lot and she basically apologized profusely for him and said he was not pleasant to work with. From what she said thats not why he got fired but it was apparently the last straw

the pharmacists in my area are always nice and professional to me. maybe once or twice ive felt a little disrespected but it was the pharmacist at the busy cvs so i can understand their stress.

My biggest pet peeve with MD lines is lately I have had a lot of customers that wll just call the MD line and leave a VM asking for refills or to call them back to let them know if their rx is ready, whih is such a waste of my time. Like i said hold times are not long at my store and ie today (easter sunday) i had two voicemails like this and we had ZERO customers and the phone did not even ring they just left voicemails.

Last edited:
Personally I have always found it a bit rude for anyone besides the prescriber to use the prescriber line and never do it myself. That said it is not hard to see why a pharmacist wanting a transfer would want to speak directly to the other pharmacist, especially in states where it has to be rph to rph. What's the big deal? Plenty of things to actually be upset by, this is quite small potatoes.

Actually I find the use of the prescriber line at all to be annoying 90% of the time. Just send it electronically (best) or fax it (ok) or leave a voicemail (because you hate me?). Actually needing to talk to me is exceedingly rare.