Pharmacists and phone etiquette

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Quick question for everyone here. When I call other pharmacies (ie Kaiser to Kaiser) I only have the doctors line and it makes no sense for me to call the patient line get put on hold then transferred to a pharmacist. Why is it so hard to talk to other pharmacist. Do we really hate each other that much?

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
Quick question for everyone here. When I call other pharmacies (ie Kaiser to Kaiser) I only have the doctors line and it makes no sense for me to call the patient line get put on hold then transferred to a pharmacist. Why is it so hard to talk to other pharmacist. Do we really hate each other that much?
I dont get it either. I think there are some very nasty rphs here

I dont get it either. I think there are some very nasty rphs here

Nice straw man there. I have no problem talking to other pharmacists. As I've said multiple times if you don't use the prescriber line I bend over backward to get you your copy as quick and painlessly as possible.

Nothing nasty about me. What's nasty is not having any regard for the pharmacist who is finishing up a waiter/trying to do a consult/ maybe taking two seconds to grab a bite to eat and has to drop what they are doing because you can't handle holding for 30 seconds after being triaged by a tech.

This is not an occasional occurrence. My dr line rings off the hook all day long. Well over 50% of these calls are not things I need to a) deal with at all or b) be interrupted to deal with them immediately.

I've worked at stores where techs answer all phone calls including the dr line and triage appropriately. Maybe I should start doing this at my store.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

Members don't see this ad :)
As for me i don't mind holding for a few minutes. I usually have the phone on speaker. So i can focus on my Qv.
Since i realized there are rphs that might get upset when i use the prescriber's line, from now on i will use the regular line.

People are so lazy its ridiculous. You want to use up valuable tech time answering phone calls just to put people on hold?

The entire pharmacy forum needs changed to the lazy pharmacy complainers forum.

I always use the prescriber line and will continue to use the prescriber line.

Reactions: 5 users
People are so lazy its ridiculous. You want to use up valuable tech time answering phone calls just to put people on hold?

I have no doubt that you run your pharmacy well and it sounds like you have some good techs. However, some stores having zero experienced techs. In those situations they might prefer to "waste valuable tech time" because their tech time isn't that valuable. In those stores, I'd rather people leave me alone so I can get the work done. If I'm 3 times faster at typing/filling than my tech and we're behind, I want them taking as many calls as possible. Not disputing your workflow, just offering an alternative view based on the quality of your staff.

Reactions: 1 users

You are aware pharmacists pick up regular lines too right? LOL. We answer the calls just as techs do, but also other calls that only pharmacists answer. Ridiculous for you to assume pharmacists are lazy if they prefer only doctors to call the providers line.

I have a bigger problem with pharmacists and sometimes patients calling on the prescribers' line.

I only do that when I'm actually calling stuff in...otherwise, yeah that's kind of messed up. All other inquiries I route through a technician/general staff.

EDIT: actually no i just leave a voice mail (reading @owlegrad 's post)...i figure you don't have time to talk to me, i don't have time to wait, so let's cut the crap. sometimes i think it's faster to write it on an Rx pad and fax it in (it probably is).

Lets not call each other names here.
I think the difference in opinion stems from how some are trained to deal with the prescribers' line. In my community retail training, i was taught that taking phone calls from prescribers is #1 priority and everything else needs to be dropped (with exception of counseling/immunizations) bc prescribers can not wait on hold for extended periods of time. You ask why? Multiple reasons: 1. They may be hospital docs who have procedures/paiges/emergency pts that they need to address. 2. You have to keep them happy! they are giving you business. I have heard prescribers complain to corporate that they were not attended to in timely manner and refuse to do business with such and such pharmacy. Hmm, i wonder who the corporate will side with. If you are an independent pharmacy, you want to keep the prescribers EXTRA happy bc they may recommend your pharmacy to their pt for obvious reasons. This is the main reason for why there is a distinctive prescriber line with a distinctive ring tone.

So, back to my point. I am dropping everything that I am doing to pick up a phone call assuming it's from a prescriber. Then I hear it's a chain pharmacist who needs to get a copy bc the PT is trying to score a 30 dollar transfer coupon. To me and many others, we view this as disrespect bc you just intentionally made me drop everything that I was doing for something clearly non urgent. I have enough distractions as it is in a pharmacy.

You are aware pharmacists pick up regular lines too right? LOL. We answer the calls just as techs do, but also other calls that only pharmacists answer. Ridiculous for you to assume pharmacists are lazy if they prefer only doctors to call the providers line.
His default answer is " because other pharmacist are lazy".

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G920A using SDN mobile

His default answer is " because other pharmacist are lazy".

Such a lazy response.

I have always explained my responses. I'm sorry if some of you work at these 600 scripts per day or more stores. If I worked there I'd probably be miserable too. My store is above average though and I don't plan on moving up just to hate my job. This isn't the typical store though and the correct way for things to be done is not waste the techs time.

The question is why are you at these stores? If its by choice well that's your fault. If its because your a floater, justv give it time. 400ish per day is my max and these stores should all run efficiently once your techs are up to speed.

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
Instead of being passive-aggressive butthurt, why don't you just tell the pharmacist you don't like him/her using the prescriber's line to initiate a transfer? Also some other pharmacists (as we see in this thread) prefer pharmacists to call the prescriber line to save time. Some people have their techs triage every call (especially if there is no difference in ring tone). Other places only pharmacists handle the prescriber line. Everyone and everywhere is different.

Luckily I work in an area where 99% of transfers are conducted by fax (which is legal)... I have talked to pharmacists only a handful of times in the last 6 months regarding transfers and every time it was because the faxes went missing.

I am in the camp that I never use the PRESCRIBER line for transfers because I am not a PRESCRIBER. Sorry folks, pharmacy is a business and my customers always come before your customers, so no you absolutely do not get to jump the line to take business away from me. I think it very interesting that it seems that most of the Walgreens pharmacists think it ok the use the line and CVS rphs say it is not acceptable. I would imagine this has something to do with ridiculously annoying ring CVS has for the prescriber line, but perhaps wags trains their pharmacists that way?

My way of getting pharmacists (only walgreens seems to do this in my area) to stop using the prescriber line is saying, "wow, I heard that walgreens now has special training to let pharmacists prescribe, that is really cool! Of course they seem shocked and confused and state that they cannot prescribe, at which point I quickly ask them why they used my prescriber's line?

A wag rph mentioned that he values efficiency, well I have my techs triage all calls not coming from a prescriber who wants to prescribe or has a legitimate question only a pharmacist can answer that comes as part of the process of giving ME business. In a pharmacy where usually techs outnumber pharmacists 6-7 to 1, the time of the pharmacist is much more valuable, so any time I answer the phone for something that I do not need to do (and I have more important things to do) is a net loss of efficiency at our store.

Just a tip for you wag people who will read this and still use the prescriber line for transfers, if you call on my regular line I will give the copy to you asap, if you call my prescriber line you will be on hold and marked as priority zero on my t0-do list, this means that I will do everything on my list first (including scratching myself) before getting to your call because you somehow think you are more important than my customers.

I am in the camp that I never use the PRESCRIBER line for transfers because I am not a PRESCRIBER. Sorry folks, pharmacy is a business and my customers always come before your customers, so no you absolutely do not get to jump the line to take business away from me. I think it very interesting that it seems that most of the Walgreens pharmacists think it ok the use the line and CVS rphs say it is not acceptable. I would imagine this has something to do with ridiculously annoying ring CVS has for the prescriber line, but perhaps wags trains their pharmacists that way?

My way of getting pharmacists (only walgreens seems to do this in my area) to stop using the prescriber line is saying, "wow, I heard that walgreens now has special training to let pharmacists prescribe, that is really cool! Of course they seem shocked and confused and state that they cannot prescribe, at which point I quickly ask them why they used my prescriber's line?

A wag rph mentioned that he values efficiency, well I have my techs triage all calls not coming from a prescriber who wants to prescribe or has a legitimate question only a pharmacist can answer that comes as part of the process of giving ME business. In a pharmacy where usually techs outnumber pharmacists 6-7 to 1, the time of the pharmacist is much more valuable, so any time I answer the phone for something that I do not need to do (and I have more important things to do) is a net loss of efficiency at our store.

Just a tip for you wag people who will read this and still use the prescriber line for transfers, if you call on my regular line I will give the copy to you asap, if you call my prescriber line you will be on hold and marked as priority zero on my t0-do list, this means that I will do everything on my list first (including scratching myself) before getting to your call because you somehow think you are more important than my customers.
. Actually i am a cvs rph that has no problem with rph using the prescriber's line. I have used it myself . I thought it was not an issue until now. Now i will use regular line when calling for transfers as it upsets quite a few rphs when non providers use the doctor's line. I dont use prescriber's line because i think my calls are important. I use it because i want to speak with the pharmacist

Last edited:

Its very interesting how pharmacists differ here. All my local pharmacists call the prescriber line. Actually I can't recall the last time a pharmacist outside my area didn't call the prescriber line. I guess I just like helping customers even those that don't come to my pharmacy get their meds as soon as possible.

I'm a pharmacist first, I work for my chain second.

What I love the most is pharmacists who tell customers the other pharmacy has to call them to transfer a script. So they call me, complain about the pharmacy then I call and get put on hold. This job just isn't right for some people.

The pharmacists who hate the prescriber line seem to all be angry, while those that use it seem to enjoy their job. Interesting isn't it?

Last edited:
Such a lazy response.

I have always explained my responses. I'm sorry if some of you work at these 600 scripts per day or more stores. If I worked there I'd probably be miserable too. My store is above average though and I don't plan on moving up just to hate my job. This isn't the typical store though and the correct way for things to be done is not waste the techs time.

The question is why are you at these stores? If its by choice well that's your fault. If its because your a floater, justv give it time. 400ish per day is my max and these stores should all run efficiently once your techs are up to speed.

You don't get it. Preferring doctors to use prescriber lines doesn't mean we are miserable or hate our job. Disliking or liking our job is irrelevant. Well, it's not really a preference; that's how it should be as that's how CVS meant it to be on its automated system.

Again if how you operate works for your store, keep doing that. You shouldn't change something that works. But again to assume things (RPH is lazy, hate their jobs...) is absurd and very childish.

. Actually i am a cvs rph that has no problem with rph using the prescriber's line. I have used it myself . I thought it was not an issue until now. Now i will use regular line when calling for transfers as it upsets quite a few rphs when non providers use the doctor's line. I dont use prescriber's line because i think my calls are important. I use it because i want to speak with the pharmacist

So if you are another PIC and want to talk to me about a tech availability, you would use the prescriber line? If you're a sup and want to talk to me, you would use it too? Or if you're a customer and you want to complain, you would use it too? Because it happens all the time.

You can talk to the pharmacist using the regular line. We do pick up calls on regular lines just like our techs do.

Its very interesting how pharmacists differ here. All my local pharmacists call the prescriber line. Actually I can't recall the last time a pharmacist outside my area didn't call the prescriber line. I guess I just like helping customers even those that don't come to my pharmacy get their meds as soon as possible.

What I love the most is pharmacists who tell customers the other pharmacy has to call them to transfer a script. So they call me, complain about the pharmacy then I call and get put on hold. This job just isn't right for some people.

The pharmacists who hate the prescriber line seem to all be angry, while those that use it seem to enjoy their job. Interesting isn't it?

Seems like your experience and my experience are the exact same. I have never had issues calling the prescriber's line when calling any of the other chains or independents in my state. Hell, when I call CVS' prescriber line I still get the techs and get put on hold, but it doesn't bother me. Then again everyone on this side of town are all on first name basis and friendly with each other.

Maybe it is a regional thing. And maybe it is the fact that at my job we have a prescriber's line, but it is no different from the main line. We treat everyone the same....sorry the MA is gonna have to wait for 30 seconds while I help out this RPH with a transfer who also has a million things to do and customers yelling at them. Respect.

Seems like your experience and my experience are the exact same. I have never had issues calling the prescriber's line when calling any of the other chains or independents in my state. Hell, when I call CVS' prescriber line I still get the techs and get put on hold, but it doesn't bother me. Then again everyone on this side of town are all on first name basis and friendly with each other.

Maybe it is a regional thing. And maybe it is the fact that at my job we have a prescriber's line, but it is no different from the main line. We treat everyone the same....sorry the MA is gonna have to wait for 30 seconds while I help out this RPH with a transfer who also has a million things to do and customers yelling at them. Respect.

Techs answer prescriber lines too b/c 85% of calls going to prescriber lines don't involve a pharmacist (and 90% aren't from doctors). If people use the automated system correctly, maybe that would change.

You don't get it. Preferring doctors to use prescriber lines doesn't mean we are miserable or hate our job. Disliking or liking our job is irrelevant. Well, it's not really a preference; that's how it should be as that's how CVS meant it to be on its automated system.

Again if how you operate works for your store, keep doing that. You shouldn't change something that works. But again to assume things (RPH is lazy, hate their jobs...) is absurd and very childish.

I just call it how I see it. All I'm hearing is anger and everytime someone responds to my posts are reiterating my point.

I'm done responding to this thread. I agree to one thing, everyone does things different. The difference is I seem to enjoy my job a lot more then probably 90 some percent of the pharmacists in retail here. Maybe just maybe what I say might be true.

Techs answer prescriber lines too b/c 85% of calls going to prescriber lines don't involve a pharmacist (and 90% aren't from doctors). If people use the automated system correctly, maybe that would change.

If patients use the automated system correctly, yes. However, with your example earlier, if I am another PIC, a Sup, a pharmacist with a transfer, I don't need to speak with the techs. If you are busy simply put me on hold just like the tech would. It's not hard.

If patients use the automated system correctly, yes. However, with your example earlier, if I am another PIC, a Sup, a pharmacist with a transfer, I don't need to speak with the techs. If you are busy simply put me on hold just like the tech would. It's not hard.

It's not hard to call the regular lines either. It actually tells you on the automated system where to triage your calls. I'm a pharmacist (and again, don't be shocked) because I pick up regular lines all the time.

I just call it how I see it. All I'm hearing is anger and everytime someone responds to my posts are reiterating my point.

I'm done responding to this thread. I agree to one thing, everyone does things different. The difference is I seem to enjoy my job a lot more then probably 90 some percent of the pharmacists in retail here. Maybe just maybe what I say might be true.

Don't assume in a forum. Don't assume things until you work with a person. Hearing or reading opinions that differ from you doesn't make the opposing point of view "angry."

No method of operating is "true." Again, another assumption. It works for you. That's awesome. Keep doing that b/c your store works best that way. But other stores/companies are different. They have their own ways to operate.

By calling the prescriber line and making me drop the waiters I am checking you are possibly helping your customer get their transfer ASAP but also preventing my three waiters from getting theirs ASAP.

But really you're just holding everyone up. Because I'm still going to check my three waiters before you get your transfer. It's just going to take longer because I had to drop them to pick up the phone and put you on hold to finish them.

I had to post one more time since I realized something. Do you guys not use a headset? I don't even stop what I'm doing I just push pick up. If I'm busy I just push hold after I let them know I'll be a minute. It doesn't even take more then 3 seconds.

You guys need a headset, saves a ton of time.

I had to post one more time since I realized something. Do you guys not use a headset? I don't even stop what I'm doing I just push pick up. If I'm busy I just push hold after I let them know I'll be a minute. It doesn't even take more then 3 seconds.

My corporation gives very few headsets because the only ones compatible with the fancy voip phones cost $200-300. Life would be a bazillion times better with one, but I think there is only one in my entire district.

This I actually agree with, I bought my own because my company wouldn't provide me one and it has made my quality of life at work much better. I don't have to stop what I'm doing to answer the phone.

My default for transfer is fax. Out or in fax them so I don't have to be on the phone forever and waste each other time. It takes me less than 1 min to get 10 rxs done faxing them to you. Save everyone's time.

I hate those damn transfer coupons. They are the root of this rx transfer apocalypse.

Transfer coupons and discount cards are a major headache to say the least.

Damn. I've said it before and I'll say it again, retail pharmacy is cutthroat.

I don't feel sorry for these "I fill 600 rxs a day, don't use my doctors line" pharmacists. We're all busy, okay? Get over yourself and answer the phone.

Reactions: 2 users

I'm not wearing a stupid head set and looking like an idiot

I don't feel sorry for these "I fill 600 rxs a day, don't use my doctors line" pharmacists. We're all busy, okay? Get over yourself and answer the phone.

We do 900 a day and I don't need to get over myself. I will answer the phone. As long as you dial in on the right line. Otherwise you're gonna be waiting longer and exacerbating your business.

We do 900 a day and I don't need to get over myself. I will answer the phone. As long as you dial in on the right line. Otherwise you're gonna be waiting longer and exacerbating your business.

Regardless of differing opinions on this topic, the point is this: why is it so hard to follow an automated system on the phone?

If you're a prescriber, use the prescriber line. If not, then don't. Like what is so hard to grasp?? Following directions isn't that hard.

You can reach the pharmacists either way. But the prescriber line is for prescribers as it's intended to be.

Regardless of differing opinions on this topic, the point is this: why is it so hard to follow an automated system on the phone?

If you're a prescriber, use the prescriber line. If not, then don't. Like what is so hard to grasp?? Following directions isn't that hard.

You can reach the pharmacists either way. But the prescriber line is for prescribers as it's intended to be.

This is what I don't get. Why would you pick the wrong option expecting it will solve your issue faster?

I don't pick the referral line when I call a doctors office looking for a refill. Trust that I have my workflow set up correctly and choose the right option. It will get you whatever you need in the least amount of time.

This is what I don't get. Why would you pick the wrong option expecting it will solve your issue faster?

I don't pick the referral line when I call a doctors office looking for a refill. Trust that I have my workflow set up correctly and choose the right option. It will get you whatever you need in the least amount of time.

When calling insurance, I spam 0#0#0#0#1#1#1#, get human in less than 10 seconds. Works wonder. Fu3k automated option.

I worked at a pharmacy that didn't have a "physician" line, and I always called through the regular line when I called. Why is there a need to "drop" waiters if a physician calls? I either a)use a headset b)put them on speaker or c) take over another computer if necessary. Even if you're busy, just have some common courtesy and tell them that you'll either call them back when you're free or they can call back later.

But putting them on hold to be put in the back of the queue just seems spiteful. You're going to have to take that transfer eventually anyway. The other pharmacists will just continue calling through the physician lines unless you confront them directly (and I have my suspicions that you're not going to admit to them that you purposely procrastinate on their calls), so there's no real "lesson" to be learned.

And lastly, it IS a little annoying, if you haven't memorized it, having to sit through the entirety of an automated message for 1-2 minutes just to hear which button it is to reach the regular pharmacy line (because let's face it, they always say it last).

And lastly, it IS a little annoying, if you haven't memorized it, having to sit through the entirety of an automated message for 1-2 minutes just to hear which button it is to reach the regular pharmacy line (because let's face it, they always say it last).

I know it's annoying because I do it every day when I'm calling other stores for transfers. I absolutely practice what I preach and do as I want done to me. And then usually end up on hold for 3-5 minutes waiting for the pharmacist. I just don't complain about it because I recognize that they are probably just as hectic and crazy as I am.

hmmm, well at my hospital we have a different ring for the "doctor's line", but I've always thought of it as the "pharmacist's line"--not like we have any kind of automated greeting for it. If people need to talk to the pharmacist, they call that line, if they just need general help that a tech can give they call the regular line.

I had assumed that retail was the same--that if I needed a pharmacist's service, I should go through the doctor's line (which I thought was really the pharmacist's line.) And I would expect the same, that people needing to talk to the pharmacist would go through the doctor's line as well.

I'm surprised that some pharmacists are really offended by pharmacists using the "doctor's line", I guess I thought that was just code to keep patients from calling the pharmacist's line for a simple refill or to find out if their prescription was ready (or for nurses who can't find the IV that was delivered 4 hours ago because the tech put it in the lock box where it was supposed to go, instead of just randomly throwing it somewhere on the counter which was apparently the only place the nurse looked for it.)

It makes sense to me, if someone *knows* they need the service of a pharmacist, why wouldn't they go through the doctor's line, knowing that rings for the pharmacist? I agree, why waste the time of the tech?

But since surprisingly pharmacists are divided on this issue, and its impossible to please everyone, I'll just keep doing what makes the most sense to me, go through the doctor's line. :)

Reactions: 2 users
I worked at a pharmacy that didn't have a "physician" line, and I always called through the regular line when I called. Why is there a need to "drop" waiters if a physician calls?
If you don't, they will leave a voicemail.
That voicemail will be incomprehensible or incomplete.
Calling back takes longer.
The office is closed for lunch/after hours.
They don't respond to the page.
The patient shows up and yells for 15 minutes.
Everyone delayed by those 15 minutes yells for 5 minutes.

...or we could have answered the MD line faster.

I either a)use a headset
...dont' have one available...

b)put them on speaker
...against company policy since HIPAA became a thing...

or c) take over another computer if necessary.
...#1 Where is this magical land of surplus computers in which you live? #2 I don't need a computer to take a call from a doctor's office. I need to put down the things I'm physically holding, grab a pen and phone order pad, and shift the focus of my attention.

...And lastly, it IS a little annoying, if you haven't memorized it, having to sit through the entirety of an automated message for 1-2 minutes just to hear which button it is to reach the regular pharmacy line (because let's face it, they always say it last).
This makes sense if you believe your time is worth more than the time of the other pharmacist. I can't convince you that this is not the case.

I'm surprised that some pharmacists are really offended by pharmacists using the "doctor's line", I guess I thought that was just code to keep patients from calling the pharmacist's line for a simple refill or to find out if their prescription was ready (or for nurses who can't find the IV that was delivered 4 hours ago because the tech put it in the lock box where it was supposed to go, instead of just randomly throwing it somewhere on the counter which was apparently the only place the nurse looked for it.)

It makes sense to me, if someone *knows* they need the service of a pharmacist, why wouldn't they go through the doctor's line, knowing that rings for the pharmacist? I agree, why waste the time of the tech?

But since surprisingly pharmacists are divided on this issue, and its impossible to please everyone, I'll just keep doing what makes the most sense to me, go through the doctor's line. :)

There's no code or anything. It says if you are a provider, use that line. So unless there is some serious issue with following directions (and seems like people just like doing what they want), then what is the issue? It's not what I like or what you like. It's what the automated system is set up to be.

MD > RPh . . . since the MD gives us prescriptions. It makes sense if the other end is using the doctor line for them to GET prescriptions faster, but my natural instinct on the ringing line would be annoyance when I find out it's just another pharmacy trying to TAKE a prescription from me. I don't know if there's a right answer to this... my preference, regardless of which end I'm on, is to just let the pharmacist stay on hold...or ask a technician to call for a copy (like they do at mail order) and then let them stay on hold and transfer it to a pharmacist once another pharmacist finally comes to the line to give the copy.

I hate when techs call and ask for transfers and then put me on hold to get their pharmacist. That to me is the ultimate Way of expressing that my time is worth less than theirs. I've hung up on calls like that.

If you don't, they will leave a voicemail.
That voicemail will be incomprehensible or incomplete.
Calling back takes longer.
The office is closed for lunch/after hours.
They don't respond to the page.
The patient shows up and yells for 15 minutes.
Everyone delayed by those 15 minutes yells for 5 minutes.

...or we could have answered the MD line faster.

#2 I don't need a computer to take a call from a doctor's office. I need to put down the things I'm physically holding, grab a pen and phone order pad, and shift the focus of my attention.

You know I'm talking about receiving calls from another pharmacist...right? I don't think my post was made to seem as if I wasn't. If I'm receiving a call, it's generally to transfer the rx out, so I need to use the computer to electronically pull up the profile and mark the rx's as transferred. I was referring to taking over another computer in case I didn't want to drop what I was doing on my current computer.

...dont' have one available...
Sounds like a personal choice

...against company policy since HIPAA became a thing...
That's just a shame.

You know I'm talking about receiving calls from another pharmacist...right?
I have no idea who is calling until I find out via verbal exchange. I assume it is a physicians office based on the line ringing. If I knew it was a pharmacist beforehand, this would be a non-issue.