Pharmacists: Corporate greed putting patient's at risk......

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

BF7

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
http://www.wtsp.com/story/news/2014...rate-greed-putting-patients-at-risk/18723407/
Here's Gay Dodson, executive director of the TSBP

In 2013, pointing to research and polls showing that the use of metrics tend to increase errors, the NABP asked states to restrict, regulate or prohibit their use.
So what about Texas?
The I-Team did an interview with Gay Dodson, the executive director of the Texas State Board of Pharmacy.
During that talk, she made a surprising statement.
Dodson: "I don't believe any company in Texas is using metrics to say a pharmacist has to fill so many scripts."
I-Team: "You're telling me that not a single Walgreens, not a single CVS in this state is putting pressure…"
Dodson: "We haven't seen it. We have not seen it. That it all I can go with."
I-Team: "With due respect, a lot of organizations would say you're blind."
Dodson: "Uh, I understand."

She's lying or displaying a Bill Clinton'esque "It depends what 'is' is".....

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
I think with this recent exposure it's time for pharmacists to stand together and start signing some petitions or something to start a movement. It's sad that the state boards of pharmacy don't have our backs. The primary role of the the state board is to protect public health, seems like they shouldn't be pandering to the chains so much.

Members don't see this ad :)
BF7 you better be calling Gay right now demanding an explanation from her as to why she says metrics do not exist.

i think that texas idiot woman said metrics dont exist because shes scared, those big chains are powerful

Chains should become local independent franchises where the PIC is basically the owner and manages things with minimal corporate interference. When they want to turn pharmacy practice into a "churn out scripts, follow metrics and bring in big money" without much emphasis on patient health or actually practicing pharmacy safely or safety not being a main concern then there are going to be issues. If the store fails that's on the franchise owner and not so much the big corporate company. It's sad to see a member of a BoP being so out of touch that they don't think metrics exist.

Reactions: 1 users
Gay Dodson is about 100 years old and completely out of touch with the reality of modern pharmacy. The State Board knows what's going on and they choose to sit in Austin in their big leather chairs and ignore it.

To acknowledge it would bring the whole system down in Texas.

Reactions: 1 users
Chains should become local independent franchises where the PIC is basically the owner and manages things with minimal corporate interference. When they want to turn pharmacy practice into a "churn out scripts, follow metrics and bring in big money" without much emphasis on patient health or actually practicing pharmacy safely or safety not being a main concern then there are going to be issues. If the store fails that's on the franchise owner and not so much the big corporate company. It's sad to see a member of a BoP being so out of touch that they don't think metrics exist.

Oh she's not just a member she's the Executive Director and a full time paid member of the Texas State Board of Pharmacy.

I think the pharmacists in Texas need to demand an answer. Heck, you guys pay to keep them up. Their main job is public safety. Don't let this get swept under the carpet. Demand to know why metrics exist. I'm sure the public would be interested if they had a clue.

Pharmacy is a business but we must never forget that we are also healthcare providers.

Wow. Unbelievable. It would be one thing for her to argue that metrics are "helpful" and she disagrees that they harm patients.....but to out and out lie and say she's never heard of any metrics in TX? Nobody believes she is that dumb, and if she really is, she shouldn't be on the board.