Pharmacists: How manageable is $150k-$200k in debt?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
So i know this is 6 months old now... but while most Wal-Marts are starting around 55$/hour (in Florida) My father who is a district manager was looking to fill a position in Georgia for 70$/hr last year, I couldn't believe it! One pharmacist said he would do it for 75$/hour and he was denied. They eventually found someone.

Florida has pretty terrible pay for most jobs. I worked there for a while and everyone was shocked to hear that hospital jobs start around $50/hr in the rural southern state I was from. They were starting in the low 40/hr in metropolitan South Florida, which has a pretty damn high cost of living.

Members don't see this ad.

I started with 170k in April and down to about 127k right now. I refinanced my loan in July and that helped a lot. I wouldn't recommend the field to many, not because of the job (I actually like it and I work for CVS) but the debt from Grad school is ridiculous. I work in a area that still has staffing issues so I get to work a ton of OT and make over 70/hr but that OT will probably be gone soon. By the time some of you new grads get out 200k and making $65/hr (what most new grads in Cali make) with just 40 hrs/week is nothing. This field money wise is only worth it with no loans and that is what i'm trying to accommplish. 2017 i'm going to work like a dog again to hopefully cut it to around 45-50k and finish strong in early 18'.
If you have a family you are supporting don't expect to pay that sucker off for 15-20 years. It can be a rewarding career but in the right circumstances. If you're young, no kids and can live at home and save money. A pharmacist salary is pretty damn good when you don't have 3-4k going to loans each month.

I started with 170k in April and down to about 127k right now. I refinanced my loan in July and that helped a lot. I wouldn't recommend the field to many, not because of the job (I actually like it and I work for CVS) but the debt from Grad school is ridiculous. I work in a area that still has staffing issues so I get to work a ton of OT and make over 70/hr but that OT will probably be gone soon. By the time some of you new grads get out 200k and making $65/hr (what most new grads in Cali make) with just 40 hrs/week is nothing. This field money wise is only worth it with no loans and that is what i'm trying to accommplish. 2017 i'm going to work like a dog again to hopefully cut it to around 45-50k and finish strong in early 18'.
If you have a family you are supporting don't expect to pay that sucker off for 15-20 years. It can be a rewarding career but in the right circumstances. If you're young, no kids and can live at home and save money. A pharmacist salary is pretty damn good when you don't have 3-4k going to loans each month.

What state you live in if you don't mind asking?

Members don't see this ad :)
California

Umm I have been hearing how California job market is saturated. Only areas that I could think that Would be hard to staff are either Oakland or Stockton, some other ghetto town lol

Umm I have been hearing how California job market is saturated. Only areas that I could think that Would be hard to staff are either Oakland or Stockton, some other ghetto town lol
In LA and SF. Look around to the areas right in the middle of Cali. You can milk a cow on the way to work

Around 69-73/hr is normal for retail manager in socal metro. The crappiest boonies I know pay 78/hr. Recently, a friend moved away from that place to LA and his salary took a cut also. Staff gets 65+.

I think it's realistic to pay off 150-200k in a few years but if you buy a new house, buy a new car, or try to start a family you are never going to get anywhere financially and will probably be paying off the debt for a very long time.

Reactions: 1 user
I think it's realistic to pay off 150-200k in a few years but if you buy a new house, buy a new car, or try to start a family you are never going to get anywhere financially and will probably be paying off the debt for a very long time.
Yup, if you have kids, car payments and a mortgage don't go into pharmacy school. Not worth the debt. It's a rewarding career under the right circumstances