Pharmacists in Illinois

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

lltpharmd

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I just started working as a full time pharmacist in illinois at an independent and I've got a question. If you work overtime, do you get paid time and a half or are you exempted because you are considered a professional under the one clause that excludes "executives, administrative, and professionals"? I'm paid hourly and not salary, I thought you were only excluded if you were paid salary.

Illinois pharmacists please help me out with this question. I don't want to be underpaid if I happen to work overtime in the future.

Members don't see this ad.

I just started working as a full time pharmacist in illinois at an independent and I've got a question. If you work overtime, do you get paid time and a half or are you exempted because you are considered a professional under the one clause that excludes "executives, administrative, and professionals"? I'm paid hourly and not salary, I thought you were only excluded if you were paid salary.

Illinois pharmacists please help me out with this question. I don't want to be underpaid if I happen to work overtime in the future.

I'm not a pharmacist or in Illinois, but that's a good question. We just read about this in my management class and our TA said that a pharmacist never gets overtime because they are professionals. Which sounds really wrong to me. I worked in Illinois and I swear the pharmacists there talked about getting it (obviously not these days, but in the past).

In Illinois you are not entitled to overtime. Walmart only pays straight time. In the old Walgreens union contract they would pay out time and a half for overtime as part of the negotiated contract. But there is no law that pharmacist's are entitled to overtime pay.

Members don't see this ad :)
If you're paid hourly and are not exempt, you should be covered by the overtime laws. I certainly was at my last job.

It's been over 10 years since I worked in IL, but at that time Walgreen's paid time and a half for overtime. Now they pay time +$20 per hour for OT. This was the Collinsville/Fairview Heights IL area (St. Louis Metro east)