Pharmacy a great choice for new grads

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Julio Gomez

Membership Revoked
Removed
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
The best thing about pharmacy is the new expansion of clinical roles. Pharmacy is no longer just a count and pour type of job, but there are a lot more roles that enable the pharmacist to apply his/her clinical skills to optimize the pharmacotherapeutic plan. With more schools opening and larger classes, the pharmacy shortage is decreasing, allowing the pharmacist to realize the dream of spending more time using his/her clinical skills in areas such as counseling and vaccinations. As the dispensing process becomes more automated with the use of computers and mail order, this will provide the pharmacist with more and more opportunities to apply clinical knowledge learned on rounds, and soon pharmacists will be able to bridge the gap between diagnosis and therapeutics. Various studies have demonstrated that patients will pay for cognitive services provided by PharmDs who have the ability to make advanced pharmacotherapeutic recommendations based on clinical findings. Another great aspect of pharmacy is the respect to the profession given by both patients and upper management, this evidenced by many surveys indicating pharmacy as the most respected profession. For example, managers are quick to address any needs of the pharmacist to optimize their business production. In addition, most patients will show their respect and gratification to the pharmacist, perhaps the most rewarding aspect. Lastly, with improvements in technology, insurance claims have never been easier to process, and drive-ups are now commonly implemented to enhance the efficiency of the patient/pharmacist interaction. In summary, I would recommend pharmacy to any college student who is looking for a rewarding job with upward mobility, and the opportunity to directly apply what he/she learned in school. All of this which can be done in the same time as a masters in P.E. and makes close to a 6 figure income.

Members don't see this ad.

Afterall, pharmacists were always ranked the top in the Most Trusted Profession Gallup poll. When nurses were added to the list, we came in second in 2000 :)

that is one of the main reasons why alot of people go into pharmacy: opportunity.

And in a world as economically-unstable as ours....that is a very good thing.

Members don't see this ad :)
ChemAngel said:
that is one of the main reasons why alot of people go into pharmacy: opportunity.

And in a world as economically-unstable as ours....that is a very good thing.

yes but is the lack of advancement in retail true?

i heard that pharmacist's salary typically stay the same.

Julio Gomez said:
The best thing about pharmacy is the new expansion of clinical roles. Pharmacy is no longer just a count and pour type of job, but there are a lot more roles that enable the pharmacist to apply his/her clinical skills to optimize the pharmacotherapeutic plan. With more schools opening and larger classes, the pharmacy shortage is decreasing, allowing the pharmacist to realize the dream of spending more time using his/her clinical skills in areas such as counseling and vaccinations. As the dispensing process becomes more automated with the use of computers and mail order, this will provide the pharmacist with more and more opportunities to apply clinical knowledge learned on rounds, and soon pharmacists will be able to bridge the gap between diagnosis and therapeutics. Various studies have demonstrated that patients will pay for cognitive services provided by PharmDs who have the ability to make advanced pharmacotherapeutic recommendations based on clinical findings. Another great aspect of pharmacy is the respect to the profession given by both patients and upper management, this evidenced by many surveys indicating pharmacy as the most respected profession. For example, managers are quick to address any needs of the pharmacist to optimize their business production. In addition, most patients will show their respect and gratification to the pharmacist, perhaps the most rewarding aspect. Lastly, with improvements in technology, insurance claims have never been easier to process, and drive-ups are now commonly implemented to enhance the efficiency of the patient/pharmacist interaction. In summary, I would recommend pharmacy to any college student who is looking for a rewarding job with upward mobility, and the opportunity to directly apply what he/she learned in school. All of this which can be done in the same time as a masters in P.E. and makes close to a 6 figure income.

Awww shucks. And I thought he was being sincere...
http://forums.delphiforums.com/pharmacistsrant/messages?msg=1111.1

Oh no, that was someone else, read below a few more messages. I took the relevant aspects of it that I thought the students could benefit from. I also saw there was an interesting thread about international economics on that forum that you were participating in, then it sort of dried up. Where did you go? I think this is an important subject because the interplay between the economy and pharmaacy can have an effect on how the profession evolves as a whole.

ZpackSux said:

This forum does not exist for the purpose of degrading pharmacy as a profession, satirically or otherwise. It is okay to discuss aspects of the profession with which we are unsatisfied for the purpose of to advocating change, helping others make informed decisions about their futures, or just to vent frustration. However, users who come here soley to discourage as many users as possible from pursuing the field of pharmacy are not welcome on SDN. To anyone who holds that as their objective, please leave and do not return.

For those of you who have so patiently been putting up witht he influx of negativity lately, please report any posts that appear to be soley for the purpose of degrading the profession by using the report post function.

Thank you.

-Anna :)

Status
Not open for further replies.