Pharmacy Application question

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

bmw142920

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
On PharmCAS where it has the average GPA accepted, does that include the second year of pre pharmacy or only the first year?

Members don't see this ad.

Umm most people apply with 3-4 years completed and all courses that you have grades for apply.

I thought most people who applied only have one year of the 2 years of pre pharmacy completed?

Members don't see this ad :)
I'm applying to the 2015 cycle and I am senior who almost has a bachelor in Biology and minor in Chemistry. Actually most of the people I know that are applying to pharmacy do at least 3 years before applying to pharmacy school. But then again, if you can get in with just 2 years of college, good for you!

Reactions: 1 user
I thought most people who applied only have one year of the 2 years of pre pharmacy completed?

in general, you can apply anytime in your 2nd year, i.e. you will have to have all the pharmacy prereq by May or August at the end of your 2nd year the latest, as most pharmacy schools only require 2 years of pre-pharmacy study. But like BlueHeron and NejiRockS said above, most will have 3 to 4 years/degree under their belts when they start their applications, probably due to the competition.

Do pharmacy schools prefer more pre pharmacy years? If I have a 3.6 GPA for my first year and someone has the same GPA but are in their third year would they make a decision based on the amount of years?

obviously...

its not always true because I called some of the top pharmacy schools and they said they prefer people who are actually in the 2 years pre pharmacy because they are taking more classes per semester so Its harder. I have a 3.6 GPA and 99 PCAT composite so I think they would take me over people who did more than 1 year since I didn't take half of the classes tested on the PCAT (no organic chemistry, anatomy, microbiology, statistics, biochemistry) and still got a 99

Last edited:
Reactions: 2 users
Yep try making an A in quantum. That was a b.... I can see how you think 4 or 5 freshman classes are harder than 4 or 5 400s though.

Reactions: 1 users