Pharmacy/Drug referencing books used in the US??

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Anne-airf09

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi,

I'm new to this website and joined as I was searching for some information for practicing as a Pharmacist in the U.S.

I would like to ask anyone who can help me out,
What drug reference book is most commonly used by pharmacists in the US and which is the most extensive with drug info?

For example, in Australia we have the AMH
(Australian Medicines Handbook https://shop.amh.net.au/products/books/2015) which is like the bible for pharmacists here.
We also have other very useful book series - which can also be found in electronic form, Therapeutics Guide (http://www.tg.org.au/).

Thanks,
Anne

Members don't see this ad.

I would say in general, Facts and Comparisons for retail pharmacists & ASHP for hospital pharmacists. There are a lot of other references, but these are the 2 I'm most familiar with and use (and are used the most at my work locales by other pharmacists.)

I don't really use books. Lexi-comp and Micromedex are two online databases that are very useful. I believe Lexi-comp also has print versions of its drug information material.

Members don't see this ad :)
Clinical Pharmacology is my favorite retail pharm reference; it's super comprehensive. I typically supplement it with Lexi-Comp.

Clinical Pharmacology is my favorite retail pharm reference; it's super comprehensive. I typically supplement it with Lexi-Comp.

Rxgirly: Who is the author in particular of the Clinical Pharmacology you are refering to, as there are a few Clinical Pharmacology text with the same title.

I would say in general, Facts and Comparisons for retail pharmacists & ASHP for hospital pharmacists. There are a lot of other references, but these are the 2 I'm most familiar with and use (and are used the most at my work locales by other pharmacists.)

Thank you for your help :)

Thanks for the info :)

Micromedex and Lexi-comp are my resources of choice with epocrates as my mobile option