Menu Icon Search
Close Search

About the ads

1. If you prefer the SDN Blue style, go to the bottom left of the page and select "SDN Blue"

Pharmacy Experience in a Veterinary Hospital?

Discussion in 'Pre-Pharmacy' started by cms07c, 04.12.12.

1. Thanks to Crack the PCAT
  1. cms07c

cms07c

Pre-Veterinary
    SDN 5+ Year Member

SDN Members don't see this ad. (About Ads)
    To start, sorry if this is a repetitive thread; I searched around but couldn't find anything.

I currently work at an animal hospital as a vet tech where part of my job requires me to handle medications. Besides giving meds, I also dispense meds, call in prescriptions, and go over the medications with clients.

Although I am trying to find a job as a pharm tech in a pharmacy setting, it is very difficult; Therefore, I am relying on this to count as experience.

Would adcoms consider this as pharmacy experience? Thank you!
  2. rxlea

rxlea Unicorn in training Moderator Emeritus

Resident [Any Field]
    SDN Published Author NCPA hSDN Member hSDN Alumni SDN 5+ Year Member
    Yes.
  3. xtsukiyox

xtsukiyox Moderator Emeritus

Pharmacy Student
    SDN 5+ Year Member
    In a word. :laugh: :thumbup:
  4. PCPharmD

PCPharmD

Pharmacy Student
    SDN 2+ Year Member
    Yes, it definitely will.

I worked as a vet tech for almost a year, and it was the bulk of my experiential hours on my application. I did shadow a community pharmacist at an independent pharmacy several times, but I never did land a job at a community pharmacy.

One of the veterinarians from the practice at which I worked wrote a letter of reference for me, and I incorporated some of my experiences from the animal hospital into my personal statement, as well. I feel as though all of this really helped me to stand out to the admissions committee.
    Last edited: 04.14.12

// Share //

Style: SDN Universal