About the ads

Pharmacy Experience in a Veterinary Hospital?

Discussion in 'Pre-Pharmacy' started by cms07c, Apr 12, 2012.

1. SDN is a nonprofit organization. Services are made possible through the generous support of SDN members and sponsors. Thank you.

Thanks to Crack the PCAT
  1. cms07c

cms07c

Pre-Veterinary
    SDN 5+ Year Member

SDN Members don't see this ad. (About Ads)
    To start, sorry if this is a repetitive thread; I searched around but couldn't find anything.

I currently work at an animal hospital as a vet tech where part of my job requires me to handle medications. Besides giving meds, I also dispense meds, call in prescriptions, and go over the medications with clients.

Although I am trying to find a job as a pharm tech in a pharmacy setting, it is very difficult; Therefore, I am relying on this to count as experience.

Would adcoms consider this as pharmacy experience? Thank you!
  2. rxlea

rxlea Unicorn in training Moderator Emeritus

Resident [Any Field]
    SDN Published Author NCPA hSDN Member hSDN Alumni SDN 5+ Year Member
    Yes.
  3. xtsukiyox

xtsukiyox Moderator Emeritus

Pharmacy Student
    SDN 5+ Year Member
    In a word. :laugh: :thumbup:
  4. PCPharmD

PCPharmD

Pharmacy Student
    SDN 2+ Year Member
    Yes, it definitely will.

I worked as a vet tech for almost a year, and it was the bulk of my experiential hours on my application. I did shadow a community pharmacist at an independent pharmacy several times, but I never did land a job at a community pharmacy.

One of the veterinarians from the practice at which I worked wrote a letter of reference for me, and I incorporated some of my experiences from the animal hospital into my personal statement, as well. I feel as though all of this really helped me to stand out to the admissions committee.
    Last edited: Apr 14, 2012