Pharmacy Graduate Intern

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Zara00

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey guys

I'm a foreign graduate from the UK, I've passed the NAPLEX and recently obtained my NY intern license. Now I am looking for a place to complete my intern hours, preferably a paid role. I was a hospital Pharmacist in the UK for about 3-4 years before moving to NY. When applying to hospital positions here will that be an advantage as I have hospital experience already, albeit in another country? Do hospitals generally want a Graduate intern that they have to pay, as opposed to a student intern that will be free? I have seen several intern jobs, even in retail, but they seem to prefer students.

I applied to NewYork-Presbyterian but was not accepted as I did not meet the requirements, I had to be currently enrolled in a School of Pharmacy. Do you guys recommend me ringing up or visiting the hospital in person as well as doing online applications? Does anyone have any experience of when the best time would be to apply as a Graduate intern, are there different times of the year that have more job openings? I'm feeling a little stuck, so any help or info would be much appreciated! :)

Thanks

Zara

Members don't see this ad.

I worked with a guy who graduated from Alexandria University in Egypt. He pretty much did a walk-in and asked for a job in desperation. My manager at the time hired him and he later became staff pharmacist, then PIC. I think you're headed in the right direction with intentions for direct face-face visits with pharmacy directors and/or store managers.

You can also try independent pharmacies, it could potentially be more of a win-win situation.

I wish you the best of luck!

Thank you iAPPEblog! And thanks for your help I really appreciate it

Members don't see this ad :)
Thank you iAPPEblog! And thanks for your help I really appreciate it

Hi Zara00,

I am from the UK too and i would like to ask you questions if you don't mind. I would like to move to the US as well and I was kind of stuck on how to fill out the application for the FPGEE, the bit on whether we need a licensce or not. Also how did you get the Pharmacy degree verified, I know it has to have a sealed stamp but how would you do it for A-levels. Do you have any tips on how to fill the application properly and to get the evidences so that it may be accepted first time around??
Secondly, how did you study for the FPGEE and TOEFL exams, were they easy to do? and what you recommend please? Also how did you go about finding your internship? I would like to work in Hospital Pharmacy as well.

Thanks for your response in advance

Many thanks

No, Im a LIU grad from the pharmacy school in nyc. I wish you the best! go to Walgreens/Alliance Boot :)

Thank you very much! Do you mind if I PM you, I just wanted to ask you some questions if you don't mind at all

Thank you very much! Do you mind if I PM you, I just wanted to ask you some questions if you don't mind at all
Unfortunately Im not the best source of information out there. As I dont know the application process here.
If it is general information about lifestyle and exams go for it

Last edited:
Hi Zara00,

I am from the UK too and i would like to ask you questions if you don't mind. I would like to move to the US as well and I was kind of stuck on how to fill out the application for the FPGEE, the bit on whether we need a licensce or not. Also how did you get the Pharmacy degree verified, I know it has to have a sealed stamp but how would you do it for A-levels. Do you have any tips on how to fill the application properly and to get the evidences so that it may be accepted first time around??
Secondly, how did you study for the FPGEE and TOEFL exams, were they easy to do? and what you recommend please? Also how did you go about finding your internship? I would like to work in Hospital Pharmacy as well.

Thanks for your response in advance

Many thanks

Hey Pharmer

Sorry I did not see your message until now! Please PM me if you still need info