Pharmacy in North Dakota or other Oil-Sand areas?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Lexington2012

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Does anyone here work as a Pharmacist in the oil-boom areas?

I've read articles saying that fast food workers are getting $15/hour. Because there is a labor shortage in these areas, the payscale is generally skewed in the favor of employees.

I am just wondering what sort of pay one could expect as pharmacist in these sort of remote areas. I've done a little searching and found quite a few job listings, but nothing appears to directly mention salaries.

Members don't see this ad.

I'm pretty sure this was discussed here before, try to do a search on North Dakota. I think the consensus was you will be making humungous bucks, but living in your car, because there is no housing in North Dakota.

Reactions: 1 user
Housing is easier to find now since oil has dropped. I am very close to oilfield but not directly in it. I'm not looking for a job though so haven't personally seen any listings or know of any salaries. I've been licensed for almost 10 years now and my salary seems pretty modest compared to what I've read on this forum. Where are you looking to work? Minot or further west?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Members don't see this ad :)
I did a pretty thorough search before I posted and I didn't find anything on this site. Sure, there were a few isolated posts buried in other discussions, but no actual numbers were mentioned. How much higher is the typical pharmacist salary in the boom areas?

I am currently living in the South, but I am trying to figure out where to live after I graduate.

You might want to watch a movie called "The Overnighters". It's a documentary about a pastor who housed prospective oil workers in his church, so they wouldn't be living on the streets, and after seeing it, there's NO WAY I would even want to drive through that region. A high percentage of the people who go there have serious drug and alcohol problems, and criminal records. Granted, not all of them do; one of the people profiled in the movie had a Ph.D., which I assumed was in geology or engineering, but it was actually in IT and he had been unemployed for over two years before he came to the oil field.

Don't do any research on the movie before watching it, if you do, because there's a 20-megaton bomb that he drops towards the end.