Pharmacy in other countries

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

eagleface

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I was wondering why countries with living standards either comparable to or higher than those in the United States don't seem to either pay or use pharmacists remotely as much. In tiny Singapore, which as a substantially higher per capita income than the US, pharmacists are worth about 1/8th of a doctor. In Japan, they're worth about 1/4 of a doctor. Both of those countries have healthcare systems that are ranked higher than America's at large, so is this a harbinger of trouble for US pharmacists in the future?

Members don't see this ad.

I was wondering why countries with living standards either comparable to or higher than those in the United States don't seem to either pay or use pharmacists remotely as much. In tiny Singapore, which as a substantially higher per capita income than the US, pharmacists are worth about 1/8th of a doctor. In Japan, they're worth about 1/4 of a doctor. Both of those countries have healthcare systems that are ranked higher than America's at large, so is this a harbinger of trouble for US pharmacists in the future?

There's probably a list of things that those country do that put their healthcare systems above us, and pharmacist is probably pretty far down the list or not even on there at all.

Diet, culture, universal healthcare system all probably play bigger role :)

Members don't see this ad :)
The USA has the highest healthcare spend per capita in the world but rank a lowly 17th in the world in terms of actual national health statistics. This represents the gulf between the rich and poor. The rich spend $M's on healthcare and cosmetic surgery and the poor pay nothing. The average still makes US #1 in healthcare spend :-O

I'd take the bull**** rankings with a grain of salt...

The high-assed prices charged in the US relative to the rest of the world subsidizes the rest of the freeloading scum to get away with charging artificially low prices... either way there is more money in our system total which has been AWESOME for all healthcare professionals...

If you wanna be concerned, be concerned about all the diploma mill pharmacy schools opening up...