Pharmacy Intern Pay

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

batteen1

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
What is the going hourly rate for a P1 intern working retail?

Members don't see this ad.

Members don't see this ad :)
Walmart is 14 and goes up every year

How many hours do you work per week?
Only like 9-10 hours a week (maybe more if I cover someone's shift). Another classmate of mine only works 6 hours a week, but another older classmate works ~30 hours...

17.75?!?!?!
haha yeah. I never realized that was high until I saw this thread. For reference though, I was hired in California at CVS as a pharmacy tech at $12.50~ish with no experience and only certification (a California requirement for pharm techs). My school is also an accelerated school so my P1 knowledge is more extensive I guess? My CVS pay check also lists my status as Pharmacy Intern 4th Year for some reason. I know a second year at Walgreens though that's making $18-something. So, it's probably just a regional thing.

haha yeah. I never realized that was high until I saw this thread. For reference though, I was hired in California at CVS as a pharmacy tech at $12.50~ish with no experience and only certification (a California requirement for pharm techs). My school is also an accelerated school so my P1 knowledge is more extensive I guess? My CVS pay check also lists my status as Pharmacy Intern 4th Year for some reason. I know a second year at Walgreens though that's making $18-something. So, it's probably just a regional thing.
Damnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnn lol

University medical center of southern nevada (las Vegas)
P1/level 1 19 dollars
P2/level 2 20 dollars
P3/level 3 21 dollars

That was three years ago

Members don't see this ad :)
Only like 9-10 hours a week (maybe more if I cover someone's shift). Another classmate of mine only works 6 hours a week, but another older classmate works ~30 hours...

30 hours at $17.75? That's pretty good pay. Does he get benefits as well, since that can be considered as full-time. Thanks for your response.

$18-20/hr in Washington state. The privately owned pharmacy I work at pays $18/hr for P1 and $20/hr for P2 and up.

30 hours at $17.75? That's pretty good pay. Does he get benefits as well, since that can be considered as full-time. Thanks for your response.
I'm not sure to be honest. I would think so though.

Reactions: 1 user
Walmart starts around $13 in Missouri

Hey guys, I have a questions about the intern?
Basically, I will finish anything on Winter 2015 and I will apply to pharmacy schools for autumn 2015. I will have a gap about 9 months between winter 1015 and autumn 2015. I heard about P1 internship opportunity if I get accepted to pharmacy school. How do you guys apply to internship and is that ok apply as soon as you get accepted to pharmacy school?

Hey guys, I have a questions about the intern?
Basically, I will finish anything on Winter 2015 and I will apply to pharmacy schools for autumn 2015. I will have a gap about 9 months between winter 1015 and autumn 2015. I heard about P1 internship opportunity if I get accepted to pharmacy school. How do you guys apply to internship and is that ok apply as soon as you get accepted to pharmacy school?
You have to have an intern license which requires you to be officially enrolled in the college. This is how it is in my state and I'm sure many others.

Exactly, I was accepted to school starting this fall and I immediately applied for an intern license. I have 2 internship interviews lined up next week. Both would start this summer.

Exactly, I was accepted to school starting this fall and I immediately applied for an intern license. I have 2 internship interviews lined up next week. Both would start this summer.
I know this varies by state but I submitted my app in July and didn't get my license until October.

Depends on the state I think. TN doesn't have an intern license, but you have to have started pharmacy school to be an intern. I am unaware of any state that allows you to be an Intern before pharmacy school starts.

If this happened somewhere, please share with us which state.

Depends on the state I think. TN doesn't have an intern license, but you have to have started pharmacy school to be an intern. I am unaware of any state that allows you to be an Intern before pharmacy school starts.

If this happened somewhere, please share with us which state.
Agreed

I am a new incoming student this Fall. I have a few questions. Besides the intern license, what are other requirements/certifications employers consider in an intern candidate? Is pharmacy experience required or just recommended? Did you guys just come in and ask if there is a position available? How difficult is it to get an internship at a hospital for a P1? What duties does an intern need to fulfill (both in retail and hospital)?

I am sorry for asking you a bunch of questions. I have a whole summer free of nothing to do so I want to prepare as much as I can to get an internship. Anyone knows the pay rate in SoCal?