Pharmacy Internships

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

How much do you make as an intern?

• $14-16

Votes: 8 44.4%
  • $17-20

Votes: 4 22.2%
  • $21+

Votes: 6 33.3%

• Total voters

hopefulpharmgirl

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Approximately how much do most interns make?
Which company do you think has the best internship program?

Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

$13.50 as a P2 intern for a grocery store pharmacy in Florida

Best internship program? I have no idea but mine definitely isn't. I was not formally trained at all and I had to learn virtually everything myself (not that I'm complaining).

Thanks!

I recently received an internship offer from ESI. I had to turn it down because it conflicts with a required summer IPPE. I was offered $23/hr.

The large academic hospital that I work at as a tech offers $14/hr for their summer internship.

The VALOR Program usually pays between $18/hr and $21/hr dependent on site.

The AMCP/Pfizer MC Internship program offers a $6,000 stipend for the summer. Additionally they provide transportation, housing, and registration for a conference.

Last summer I applied for and accepted a research opportunity at my university. The funding was provided through an NIH Training Grant. It paid $5,600 for the entire summer program.

Perhaps others can chime in on industry, retail, and other areas?

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Most interns around me roughly make the same 10-15 which of course goes up as you progress through school. Think hospitals are lower than retail.

Can't speak for other companies but I think CVS is decent at training you as they invest roughly 30ish hours of paid training for their intern program. Not including their continuing yearly modules.

Thanks!

This will vary by your geographic location, type of institution, and type of internship.

Summer internship programs (i.e. programs that do hire you on hourly throughout the school year) will generally pay you a stipend to reimburse you for your time/expenses.

High cost of living areas pay more than low cost of living areas. For an idea, look at the average wage for a pharmacy tech in your area. This is about how much a p1 will start at. From my experience, hospitals pay interns slightly less than retail but the experience is completely different.

Does anyone know of any P1 internships besides community pharmacy? Looking at internships for the summer after my first year, and pretty much all internships are for second/third year students

Most places consider students between first and second professional year as rising P2 interns. The summer between p1 and p2 is when most places like to start hiring their interns.

I highly recommend the Walmart internship. I had a very good experience with them when I went through it.

I recently received an internship offer from ESI. I had to turn it down because it conflicts with a required summer IPPE. I was offered $23/hr.

The large academic hospital that I work at as a tech offers $14/hr for their summer internship.

The VALOR Program usually pays between $18/hr and $21/hr dependent on site.

The AMCP/Pfizer MC Internship program offers a $6,000 stipend for the summer. Additionally they provide transportation, housing, and registration for a conference.

Last summer I applied for and accepted a research opportunity at my university. The funding was provided through an NIH Training Grant. It paid $5,600 for the entire summer program.

Perhaps others can chime in on industry, retail, and other areas?
What is ESI??

I was recently hired by Walgreens. I took a drug test, but haven't heard back yet. What's next?

@abdc I'd wait at least a week before contacting anyone about it. With CVS, I think I took the test on Wednesday then the Tues/Wed following I finally got the official offer to start the ball rolling. :banana:

Reactions: 1 user
Anyone know what CVS generally pays for a P1?

I am working there as a tech and making 5 cents over minimum wage.. around 25-30 hours a week as part time. The PIC wants me to move to intern when I start school but if the pay doesn't go up significantly I'm leaving. Working for 5 cents over minimum wage is a complete joke considering what you go through at CVS. It was worth it as far as gaining experience and getting LOR's but now that I'm accepted into pharmacy school pay has become more of an interest for me.

Members don't see this ad :)
Tops said they've closed pharmacies in their stores. Wegmans said they only hire "current employees" :bear:

Last edited by a moderator:
@SClENCE In general an intern gets paid more than techs. I think CVS or any chain tends to pay really good compared to hospital as you are their money maker. Also don't forget as you progress through school your pay increases a few dollars as well.

Just a follow up, I recently received an offer from Novartis for $29/hr. It's not pharmacy related (data management), so I think it depends on your background and past experiences.

I'm making 8 cents over the minimum hourly pay in my state, plus I have to pay union dues. If I don't get a raise of more than 2-4 dollars when I become an intern I will quit.

What year? Kroger where I am is around 13-14. The hospital I am at is base rate over 17 + differentials. These are for p1

I make less than 14 dollars and less then almost all the techs...

P3 (almost P4), $16.20 in hospital in Midwest.