Pharmacy job market in austin and dallas

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

oceanmotion

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Good afternoon everyone!

I'm a P2 student here with questions about the job market in the Austin and Dallas area.
What has everyone's experience been like?
Thank you!

P.S. Please don't comment how much you hate your job as a pharmacist and to run for the hills. Some of us don't feel that way about pharmacy and actually have a passion for the field. I only say this because the amount of negativity on some of these forums is outrageous. have some pride people!

Members don't see this ad.

bad. really bad

hospitals currently on hiring freeze all across dallas (North/central dallas especially) Retail isn't looking good either, walmart not hiring, can only get part time with cvs/wags, tom thumb no opening, kroger no opening.

source: currently in dallas market, colleagues in austin came over because there's no jobs in austin

Reactions: 1 users
Good afternoon everyone!

I'm a P2 student here with questions about the job market in the Austin and Dallas area.
Thank you!

P.S. Please don't comment how much you hate your job as a pharmacist and to run for the hills. Some of us don't feel that way about pharmacy and actually have a passion for the field. I only say this because the amount of negativity on some of these forums is outrageous. have some pride people!

Yes, don't listen to any of the negativity on this board from pharmacists that are working in the field. You are "passionate" about the field of pharmacy. You need to tell potential employers that you are "passionate" . Applications should have "passionate" in it multiple times. You will be offered some of the best positions in the field in almost any part of the country once they realize how you feel about the profession. I would wish you good luck but you won't need it.

Reactions: 2 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Yes, don't listen to any of the negativity on this board from pharmacists that are working in the field. You are "passionate" about the field of pharmacy. You need to tell potential employers that you are "passionate" . Applications should have "passionate" in it multiple times. You will be offered some of the best positions in the field in almost any part of the country once they realize how you feel about the profession. I would wish you good luck but you won't need it.

Thank you so much, that means so much hearing that. Honestly, those words made my day.
Do you have any words of wisdom for me as far as applying to jobs in the future goes? I'm afraid I will have to stay in rural areas because of what I'm hearing, but hey, I hear you find peace in the country.

What does it mean to be passionate about pharmacy? I like my job but cannot imagine how one could be passionate about it.

Sorry OP, can't help with that market though. Good luck.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G920A using SDN mobile

bad. really bad

hospitals currently on hiring freeze all across dallas (North/central dallas especially) Retail isn't looking good either, walmart not hiring, can only get part time with cvs/wags, tom thumb no opening, kroger no opening.

source: currently in dallas market, colleagues in austin came over because there's no jobs in austin

Is this because of the pharmacy schools that are constantly opening up? I'm just slightly confused because I heard that there was a shortage of pharrmacists in the U.S., however after doing research, and hearing of the saturation, I'm seeing that this isn't the case.

Do you believe that the supply and demand will balance out as the baby boomer pharmacists begin to retire? I'm just trying to grasp my head around what the future graduates are going to do, especially because of the amount of debt many of us are accruing. We are recieving 4 years of training with well over 100k in debt, only to have no jobs?
Anyways, to put it bluntly your comment just scared the living daylights out of me. I was also under the impression that hospital pharmacists were definitely in need since it takes additional training to even be considered for that kind of position now adays.

honestly if you want hospital jobs, you need to move to west texas, or south border, there's slim pickins here in the 3 TX cities everyone wants to be (dallas, houston, austin).

I am not trying to scare you, this is the reality. In terms of retail, if you are currently working at a pharmacy as an intern, you should be okay as far as being brought on board after graduation. But don't expect to be full time right away, employers are VERY, and I repeat, VERY PICKY now. Please please please do not fall for the "fantasy" your school is telling you about how clinical pharmacy is the next big thing and I am sure if youve done your research here on the forum, you should know that already. If you want hospital job, your best bet is to do residency, period. your chance of getting a hospital job here in dallas, or in Austin as a new grad is close to 0%.

What does it mean to be passionate about pharmacy? I like my job but cannot imagine how one could be passionate about it.

Sorry OP, can't help with that market though. Good luck.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G920A using SDN mobile

I can't imagine working as a pharmacist for the rest of my life with absolutely no passion for the field I'm working in. You can like the profession, but do you love what you do?
The meaning of passionate is in the eye of the beholder.

For me, it fulfills me going to my rotation and looking into the eyes of someone that is in dire need of our help because they don't understand what their medication is doing to them, or why they're reacting in such a way to it. Maybe, they just don't trust their physician's enough to ask them so they come to you because they TRUST YOU.

I've been to my rotations, and again and again I've seen the patients stand there and ask my pharmacist all kinds of questions, or even just stand around to joke with them because their pharmacist plays an important role in their life. all I know is it's within you. You know when you're passionate about something.

I am not trying to scare you, this is the reality. In terms of retail, if you are currently working at a pharmacy as an intern, you should be okay as far as being brought on board after graduation. But don't expect to be full time right away, employers are VERY, and I repeat, VERY PICKY now. Please please please do not fall for the "fantasy" your school is telling you about how clinical pharmacy is the next big thing and I am sure if youve done your research here on the forum, you should know that already. If you want hospital job, your best bet is to do residency, period. your chance of getting a hospital job here in dallas, or in Austin as a new grad is close to 0%.

So, clinical pharmacy isn't the next big thing? What about provider status, I thought that was on a roll? I haven't trolled this site enough to know about the hospital market. Interesting, and did you do a residency? Finding an internship hasn't been easy either. Would you recommend staying in rural areas in terms of post grad, and then giving the city a try. Listen, I want to be happy with my job. I, like many other idealistic young adults would have loved the opportunity to live in an awesome city like dallas or austin, but I'm also realistic. I want to have the opportunity to learn, be valued, and grow in terms of pharmacy. I don't want to be despensable ( however you spell it) to just any chain.

honestly if you want hospital jobs, you need to move to west texas, or south border, there's slim pickins here in the 3 TX cities everyone wants to be (dallas, houston, austin).

El paso will soon become saturated as well. The pharmacy school is opening next year and accepting it's first class. As far as me, I might just stay in rural areas or suburban areas post grad if I can't find anything in Dallas. You didn't answer my questions about supply and demand

Good afternoon everyone!

Thank you!

Yummy..."passionate" really pays off student loans and feeds the family.

I can't imagine working as a pharmacist for the rest of my life with absolutely no passion for the field I'm working in. You can like the profession, but do you love what you do?
The meaning of passionate is in the eye of the beholder.

For me, it fulfills me going to my rotation and looking into the eyes of someone that is in dire need of our help because they don't understand what their medication is doing to them, or why they're reacting in such a way to it. Maybe, they just don't trust their physician's enough to ask them so they come to you because they TRUST YOU.

I've been to my rotations, and again and again I've seen the patients stand there and ask my pharmacist all kinds of questions, or even just stand around to joke with them because their pharmacist plays an important role in their life. all I know is it's within you. You know when you're passionate about something.

No one is in dire need of your help. You're a mid-level provider with no prescriptive authority.

Members don't see this ad :)
El paso will soon become saturated as well. The pharmacy school is opening next year and accepting it's first class. As far as me, I might just stay in rural areas or suburban areas post grad if I can't find anything in Dallas. You didn't answer my questions about supply and demand

The rural areas are already drying up from the past few years' graduates saying the same thing you are saying now

Thank you so much, that means so much hearing that. Honestly, those words made my day.
Do you have any words of wisdom for me as far as applying to jobs in the future goes? I'm afraid I will have to stay in rural areas because of what I'm hearing, but hey, I hear you find peace in the country.

Dude, he was being sarcastic. Are you really this oblivious and naive? Is this for real right now? No...I mean...I am just baffled...really baffled...appalled...that's the word. I am appalled at your naivety.

Reactions: 5 users
Yummy..."passionate" really pays off student loans and feeds the family.
Dude, he was being sarcastic. Are you really this oblivious and naive? Is this for real right now? No...I mean...I am just baffled...really baffled...appalled...that's the word. I am appalled at your naivety.

Calm yourself "LnSean," I came on here to ask a simple question about the job market. If you can't handle the fact that I have respect for the profession and I admire it then get over it. Not everyone that wants to be a pharmacist lets others' pessimistic attitude bring 'em down. If you want to go ahead and continue wallowing in your self pity, then go do that, but don't expect any of your other collegues to pass you a tissue, because from the looks of it more than 75% of you are miserable, and that's a shame too. Should have gone into another field if thats how you truly felt about pharmacy.

No one is in dire need of your help. You're a mid-level provider with no prescriptive authority.

Why don't you tell the patient that comes into your pharmacy that. Tell her that after you notice that she just went into anaphylaxis shock, and you have about 5 minutes to save her life.
You're the last pharmacist I'd ever want to go see, and probably the one hiding behind the counter because you don't think anyone is in need of your "help." And I hate to break it to you chuck, but pharmacists have prescribing power in other states, so what alternate dimension are you living in?

please, do some actual post search, they are all over the place here in pre-pharm forum or general pharmacy forum. The boomer population retire theory has been proven not to be valid as more and more people are holding on to their jobs tighter than ever because of the swarm of new grads fighting for jobs. provider status has been discussed to death here and it is pretty much a joke and is another "fantasy" APhA and pharmacy schools are selling to new prepharmers. Like I said before, if you want clinical/hospital jobs, you need to do a residency or move to the boonies of TX. I've spent a good amount of time in the West TX area , and I would rather spend the rest of my life slaving away for CVS than ever going back there again.

Reactions: 1 user
please, do some actual post search, they are all over the place here in pre-pharm forum or general pharmacy forum. The boomer population retire theory has been proven not to be valid as more and more people are holding on to their jobs tighter than ever because of the swarm of new grads fighting for jobs. provider status has been discussed to death here and it is pretty much a joke and is another "fantasy" APhA and pharmacy schools are selling to new prepharmers. Like I said before, if you want clinical/hospital jobs, you need to do a residency or move to the boonies of TX. I've spent a good amount of time in the West TX area , and I would rather spend the rest of my life slaving away for CVS than ever going back there again.

I definitely will. Thanks!

Listen, you're just a P2 right now so you haven't been exposed to what real world is in terms of pharmacy. It's a dog bite dog world out there. Lnsean might sound sarcastic but that's because he's had the same conversations with overlyoptimistic students like yourself numerous times already. all the pharm/prepharm students are still under the impression that pharmacist is a reputable career, in reality it is not nearly as pretty as you think it is.

Passion without direction is just a waste of time - BMB

Reactions: 3 users
Calm yourself "LnSean," I came on here to ask a simple question about the job market. If you can't handle the fact that I have respect for the profession and I admire it then get over it. Not everyone that wants to be a pharmacist lets others' pessimistic attitude bring 'em down. If you want to go ahead and continue wallowing in your self pity, then go do that, but don't expect any of your other collegues to pass you a tissue, because from the looks of it more than 75% of you are miserable, and that's a shame too. Should have gone into another field if thats how you truly felt about pharmacy.

Umm no. You prefaced yourself with a simple question but then proceeded to sneak in a condescending sentence at the end as if you're above everyone on here....people who actually have pharmDs...graduated...and are practicing in the real world. If you don't want to hear negativity then ask your professor...your parents who will say nice things to you. This is the internet...you are here to ask of us a favor...to instill in you knowledge and advice...we are not bound by your terms in this engagement. You come to us in need...not the other way around.

Again, if you're butthurt, I suggest Johnson&Johnson's No Tears shampoo and some Kleenex---these can be found in aisle 3 at walgreens.

Reactions: 6 users
Umm no. You prefaced yourself with a simple question but then proceeded to sneak in a condescending sentence at the end as if you're above everyone on here....people who actually have pharmDs...graduated...and are practicing in the real world. If you don't want to hear negativity then ask your professor...your parents who will say nice things to you. This is the internet...you are here to ask of us a favor...to instill in you knowledge and advice...we are not bound by your terms in this engagement. You come to us in need...not the other way around.

You've got things twisted, I came on here asking a question and politely said I don't feel like hearing about how you hate your jobs. And please, stop glorifying YOURSELF. I say yourself because you're the only one in this thread putting yourself on a pedistool. I appreciate honesty about the job force, but when it comes to rudeness, I'm not open to it. I'm not even really asking YOU for any type of advice. My forum was aimed at getting knowledgeable advice from pharmacists who've been there and done that, not these snark remarks from disatisfied individuals that have nothing informative to say.

You don't think I've seen people ( pharmacists especially) come on student doctor network and bash their profession, just like you're doing in a condescending manner, while politely discourging future graduates? Well I have, and it's disgusting. It's almost like you're envious of the glimmer of hope that some of us want to hold on to. You're not the only one that's suffering in the job market, others have had it worse and can still manage to respond like a human being on the internet.

And I want to thank those that did reply in seriousness, your words were appreciated. I'm staying away from this site with all respect, this isn't the type of energy I want around.
Good luck with your careers and I hope that you all can continue prospering in your fields and advancing towards your goals
:D

You've got things twisted, I came on here asking a question and politely said I don't feel like hearing about how you hate your jobs.

You don't seem to understand, so let me break it down for you. In the real world, often times, no one cares what you want or what you think. You came here for advice. We are not bound by your terms in this engagement. This is the internet. If you don't like something then you can simply choose to ignore it. You're an adult; I shouldn't have to tell you this.

You don't seem to understand, so let me break it down for you. In the real world, often times, no one cares what you want or what you think. You came here for advice. We are not bound by your terms in this engagement. This is the internet. If you don't like something then you can simply choose to ignore it. You're an adult; I shouldn't have to tell you this.

Your attitude needs adjusting doc. I hope you can find some inner peace. You sound like the most aggressive one on here too. Maybe ask for the day off or something? You need some "me" time to love yourself, and take a walk in the park. Enjoy the fresh air, trees, flowers, and just be grateful for what you have. Don't worry about passionate people, FYI. They're well taken care of.

Again, if you're butthurt, I suggest Johnson&Johnson's No Tears shampoo and some Kleenex---these can be found in aisle 3 at walgreens.

LOLOLOLOL, we've got a 1980's comedian here:laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh: ^^^

Why don't you tell the patient that comes into your pharmacy that. Tell her that after you notice that she just went into anaphylaxis shock, and you have about 5 minutes to save her life...

I can just imagine giving her eulogy: "My poor, dear Patient X. If only her physician's office had picked up the phone to give me an Epi-Pen Rx in less than 7 minutes. I pressed zero. I pressed as hard as I could, but they just played the hold music until she couldn't hold on any more. She will be missed. Oh, and please bury her with this Epi-Pen coupon I used because she wouldn't pay her copay after her heart stopped. Ashes to ashes. Dust to dust. Please call the 800 number at the bottom of your programs and rate me 5's so I don't need to make another funeral-based action plan."

Reactions: 4 users
Good afternoon everyone!

Just when I was about to unleash the mother load of pre-pharm advice, this stopped me dead in my tracks. It sounds like you've already read the doom and gloom section of SDN.

Is this because of the pharmacy schools that are constantly opening up? I'm just slightly confused because I heard that there was a shortage of pharrmacists in the U.S., however after doing research, and hearing of the saturation, I'm seeing that this isn't the case.

Wait, did you read the doom and gloom section of these forums? This shouldn't be a surprise.

So, clinical pharmacy isn't the next big thing? What about provider status, I thought that was on a roll? I haven't trolled this site enough to know about the hospital market. Interesting, and did you do a residency? Finding an internship hasn't been easy either. Would you recommend staying in rural areas in terms of post grad, and then giving the city a try. Listen, I want to be happy with my job. I, like many other idealistic young adults would have loved the opportunity to live in an awesome city like dallas or austin, but I'm also realistic. I want to have the opportunity to learn, be valued, and grow in terms of pharmacy. I don't want to be despensable ( however you spell it) to just any chain.

So you ARE trolling? I find it hard to believe that you've read these forums and still believe all of the stereotypical misconceptions surrounding the pharmacy job market (shortage, baby boomers, clinical pharmacy etc.)

Why don't you tell the patient that comes into your pharmacy that. Tell her that after you notice that she just went into anaphylaxis shock, and you have about 5 minutes to save her life.
You're the last pharmacist I'd ever want to go see, and probably the one hiding behind the counter because you don't think anyone is in need of your "help." And I hate to break it to you chuck, but pharmacists have prescribing power in other states, so what alternate dimension are you living in?

Lnsean wasn't saying patients aren't in need of your help. He was saying that third-party payers are not in need of your help. We are not legally allowed to do enough to warrant reimbursing our care at any meaningful level. If given the choice between 25$/hr in a clinic or 60$/hr in retail, most pharmacists would pick the latter. That's why provider status isn't on "a roll".

bad. really bad

Are you sure you're really in the Dallas market? It's not really bad, it's actually pretty good. Hospitals are still hiring (hell mine is still hiring) and retail is still viable if you want to work grocery store chain. CVS is hiring full time people thanks to high turnover. Plus the pay is pretty good.

As I've said before...

It's easy to have a warped view of the profession when you have neither held real responsibilities nor faced real challenges. Denial and anger are only the first two stages of grief. Next come bargaining, depression, and acceptance.

anchorman_well_that_escalated_quickly_966_u18chan.jpg

Last edited:
Is this because of the pharmacy schools that are constantly opening up? I'm just slightly confused because I heard that there was a shortage of pharrmacists in the U.S., however after doing research, and hearing of the saturation, I'm seeing that this isn't the case.)

The shortage of pharmacists officially ended 2007, although some rural areas are just now getting the news. It is a shame that apparently 0% of the pharmacy schools in the US are aware of this.

Do you believe that the supply and demand will balance out as the baby boomer pharmacists begin to retire?

Absolutely not. Nobody is retiring because 1) baby boomers never bothered to plan for their retirement and 2) baby boomers lived liked there is no tomorrow and they have huge debt. The few pharmacists I know who have retired did so because they were downsized and nobody else would hire them. Maybe, and this is a BIG maybe, in 20 years, my generation, Generation X will start retiring, but I wouldn't count on that because 1) we are supporting our parents the Baby Boomers who never bothered saving for their own retirement and 2) we are supporting our children Generation Y who can't get jobs because none of the Baby Boomers ever retired.

So, clinical pharmacy isn't the next big thing? What about provider status, I thought that was on a roll? I haven't trolled this site enough to know about the hospital market. Interesting, and did you do a residency?

Haha, so you really are just trolling us all for fun. That's good to know, I was feeling bad that anyone would be as naive as you were portraying yourself, because that would lead to a really bad awakening.

I think pharmacists have prescribing power in like 2 states. Maybe 3 if you count them prescribing STAT BCP's in Oregon.

Hey guys, can you give me a frank and honest assessment of the job market? P.S. I DON'T WANT TO HEAR ANY NEGATIVE COMMENTS FROM SO CALLED "PHARMACISTS" WHO LACK THE PASSION AND PERSPECTIVE I HAVE AS A P2 (actually I haven't started my P2 year yet either)

Reactions: 4 users
But he doesn't have a passion for nursing, his passion is for pharmacy. He's a P2 for crying out loud, clearly he knows what he's talking about. He has at least a month of retail experience with that first summer rotation.

Don't you dare talk to him like that. He deserves the utmost respect while giving you none. He is passionate and you are not. You are nothing.

Are you sure you're really in the Dallas market? It's not really bad, it's actually pretty good. Hospitals are still hiring (hell mine is still hiring) and retail is still viable if you want to work grocery store chain. CVS is hiring full time people thanks to high turnover. Plus the pay is pretty good.
which hospital are you referring to? you can pm me if you don't want to disclose that out here. I am in the Dallas Market and I know the outlook of job market is bleak because almost all hospitals are looking for candidate with "Residency or 2 yrs of hospital experience equivalence" It is almost impossible for a new grad to get hired on as a staff because of that requirement. All the HCA hospitals are on hiring freeze. Out of my entire graduating class, only 3 people that I know of got a job in a hospital without having to do residency and that is because they were techs at those hospitals since before pharmacy school. I don't know which retail pharmacy you are referring to, as far as i know, none of them is hiring full time maybe except CVS at only certain areas (Arlington, Irving, Grandperry perhaps, etc).

@oceanmotion -- regarding your question about provider status, I asked the president of the APhA about this in another thread, and he responded and said that legislators aren't even scheduled to vote on it. They simply haven't heard from enough pharmacists to even schedule a vote. I don't know that much about it, but apparently that's how the provider status legislation fares on a year-to-year basis.

I think the OP just rage-quit on us. I'm assuming the OP has never held a job, much less a pharmacy technician job. Let's hope he doesn't rage-quit his intern job (retail or hospital) when reality sets in.

Just looked at some of the other threads that the OP made and found out he goes to the newly-opened school UT-Tyler School of Pharmacy.

Got a laugh when I saw this article:
New College of Pharmacy at UT Tyler underway
Some lines are just pure gold.:joyful:
But Mabry said traction in the Legislature didn’t materialize and the project did not start moving forward until three years ago.
At that time, Mabry learned about a self-sustaining model for a pharmacy college used in another state and proposed it for UT Tyler.
“So in 2013, after years of groundwork, the 83rd Texas Legislature approved a proposal to establish a self-sustaining college of pharmacy at UT Tyler in collaboration with UT Health Northeast,” Mabry said. A few months later, The University of Texas System Board of Regents voted unanimously to make it official.
And I looked at the pharmacy school website, the tuition is $35K per year. :boom:

College of Pharmacy 2016–2017 Tuition & Fee Schedule

What's the point of going to a public school if you're paying private school tuition. Hell, it's med school tuition. That's double my tuition rate. And assuming the OP is not employed, I guess he's also taking out $10k-15K for living expenses. That easily adds up to $180K-200K in loans!

“We will use a method called team-based learning where students will be given assignments to complete and knowledge to gain before they come into the classroom. When they come into the classroom, they will spend time solving problems that would traditionally be with a lecture,” Brunner said.
God d@mn it!!! ARE ALL THE NEW SCHOOLS USING THAT FLIPPED LEARNING SYSTEM?+pissed+

No wonder the OP is confused about the role of pharmacists in the healthcare field. These new schools are just so wacky. :heckyeah:

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user

Man....you really drank the schools kool-aid, didn't you?

You didn't just take a sip, you grabbed the whole pitcher and ran off with it.

In all seriousness, it is great if you are passionate about your job. My only worry is that from a lot of your comments, you appear to have a warped/school fed view of pharmacy that has no basis in reality

We help people. We are a piece of the healthcare machine delivering and educating people on meds. I like what I do overall, despite the realities of our limitations. You seem to have images of physicians constantly asking for your input, patients crying and thanking you for telling them to take their meds with food, etc.

I just want you to be realistic on what this job really is......sometimes rewarding, usually tedious, often infuriating, and commonly disrespected/often seen as a simple tech or store clerk.

I have seen a lot of wide eyed kids who speak of passion and what their naive idea of what pharmacy is get chewed up and spit out once they enter the workforce.

It's a job, that is all. A pretty well paying job that can have it's ups and downs, but it's just a job. I still can't understand why everyone younger than their 30s has to feel like their job must fulfill every desire in their life.

It's just a job. Do the work, do it well, then go home and find a real passion. Verifying meds isn't going to make your life whole. ...

UT Tyler is $35,000 a year? Holy hell. My P1 year was $14,000. Not semester, the entire year.

UT Tyler is $35,000 a year? Holy hell. My P1 year was $14,000. Not semester, the entire year.

Yea it's nuts .....I am a pretty recent grad and my Texas pharmacy school was in the 14-18k a year range. I had no idea state schools would even think of charging that much. Makes me feel better about my 120k in debt when I left school

Yea it's nuts .....I am a pretty recent grad and my Texas pharmacy school was in the 14-18k a year range. I had no idea state schools would even think of charging that much. Makes me feel better about my 120k in debt when I left school

If you read the article in my post, you would understand why this school charges so much tuition.

Here's the basic rundown:
  1. The UT-Tyler President wanted a pharmacy school at UT-Tyler back when Pharmacy was hot (2004-05).
  2. But funding for the project never materialized. The project was left unrealized for 10 years.
  3. The UT-Tyler president found out he could just charge students an exorbitant amount of tuition ('self-sustaining model for a pharmacy college' (ACTUAL QUOTE!!!)).
  4. State legislature approves opening of the pharmacy school even though they will not fund it.:bang:
  5. Stupid kids are now paying private school-level tuition to attend a pharmacy school within the UT system (what's the point?). :scared:
Below is one of the most important passages from the article:
At that time, Mabry learned about a self-sustaining model for a pharmacy college used in another state and proposed it for UT Tyler.

“As we began to approach our friends regarding this ‘private pharmacy college’ project, they responded with overwhelming support,” Mabry said. “Our elected officials, led by Senator Kevin Eltife, carried the day in the Legislature. Major companies — led by Brookshire Grocery Company; the area’s major hospital systems; and the Tyler Chamber of Commerce — provided significant support and brought other key parties to the table.”

There are several important takeaways from this article:
  • Pharmacy colleges are opened on the whim of university/college presidents. The welfare and protection of the pharmacy profession are not even considered when these decisions are made.
  • Private and nonprofit organizations who employ pharmacists will be more than happy to help open a new school.
  • The 'self-sustaining model for a pharmacy college' AKA "charge kids exorbitant tuition" allows schools to open pharmacy colleges without much risk. I guess we know where Chapman/"Trashman" and California Northstate got their idea for opening a new college from.
Basically: Pharmacy colleges have evolved into a cancer-like entity.

Last edited:
If you read the article in my post, you would understand why this school charges so much tuition.

Here's the basic rundown:
  1. The UT-Tyler President wanted a pharmacy school at UT-Tyler back when Pharmacy was hot (2004-05).
  2. But funding for the project never materialized. The project was left unrealized for 10 years.
  3. The UT-Tyler president found out he could just charge students an exorbitant amount of tuition ('self-sustaining model for a pharmacy college' (ACTUAL QUOTE!!!)).
  4. State legislature approves opening of the pharmacy school even though they will not fund it.:bang:
  5. Stupid kids are now paying private school-level tuition to attend a pharmacy school within the UT system (what's the point?). :scared:
Below is one of the most important passages from the article:

There are several important takeaways from this article:
  • Pharmacy colleges are opened on the whim of university/college presidents. The welfare and protection of the pharmacy profession are not even considered when these decisions are made.
  • Private and nonprofit organizations who employ pharmacists will be more than happy to help open a new school.
  • The 'self-sustaining model for a pharmacy college' AKA "charge kids exorbitant tuition" allows schools to open pharmacy colleges without much risk. I guess we know where Chapman/"Trashman" and California Northstate got their idea for opening a new college from.
Basically: Pharmacy colleges have evolved into a cancer-like entity.

It is also interesting that this school was pushed forward by Brookshire Grocery Co, considering it's actively looking to sell its business to a bigger chain.

It is also interesting that this school was pushed forward by Brookshire Grocery Co, considering it's actively looking to sell its business to a bigger chain.
Deans, pharmacy professors, and employers have no interest in protecting the pharmacy profession.

Just look at any thread related to Chapman/"Trashman" U, California Northstate and the APhA.

Wow I used to be a doomer and gloomer but then I found a job lol

Yeah, just checked out UT-Austin. Its yearly tuition is still around 16-17K. So basically you pay double to go to UT-Tyler (34K).

Plus lol on these pictures
ftgr0tcb.jpg

Performing non-sterile compounding without gloves? Such shame

Yeah, just checked out UT-Austin. Its yearly tuition is still around 16-17K. So basically you pay double to go to UT-Tyler (34K).

Plus lol on these pictures
View attachment 205407
Performing non-sterile compounding without gloves? Such shame
People prepare compounds without gloves all of the time. The real joke is that guy wearing a tie. What am I, the pope?

edit: also why wear a tie if you are going to have that skanky little beard?

People prepare compounds without gloves all of the time. The real joke is that guy wearing a tie. What am I, the pope?

edit: also why wear a tie if you are going to have that skanky little beard?

Hey man....his chinstrap beard/sweet shirt/tie outlet store clearance combo pack game is on point.