pharmacy manager salary of Walgreens pharmacist

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

nextyearrx

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Just curious to know the approximate salary of pharmacy manager at CVS/Walgreens?Rite Aid. I am applying for manager position soon..:)

Members don't see this ad.

Do managers make significantly more than staff pharmacists?

Members don't see this ad :)
Yeah that had been my impression of what some of my managers think but I was curious how true it is.

I get the feeling, in my company, that most new grads start out as managers and then once a staff position opens up they "demote" themselves to that.

Reactions: 1 user
Seriously... no one actually answered the question? WTF are people's problems actually talking about their salaries? Doesn't fricking matter what part of the country you're in. Just share the info.

I got a 6% raise to be PIC, going from staff to PIC. The fools, I would have done it for 5%. Plus at CVS at least you have better bonus potential and stock options as PIC. I would imagine it is the same for every chain.

@ghent96 - if you are going to complain about people not posting their salary you could at least get the ball rolling. :p

In Dallas-Ft Worth they are making in the low $60's per hour to be PIC....in the Permian basin region of Texas (Midland-Odessa) they are making in the high mid $60's per hour....

In midwest its around low 6o's per hour

Kansas City market- CVS
new grad staff pharmacist - 60$/hr for 2013
PIC - typically 3$ more an hr than what you did as a staff....a new 2013 grad would be at 63/hr

I have heard talk in the rumor mill that wags is looking to increase the desirability of pic positions with more perks or bonus or salary, not sure where it will pan out or if those rumors are even true. I'd like to PIC but I'd have to be paid at least 6% higher base rate to do it.

The intangible benefit of pic is also overlooked by people, if you can run your store well, minus the meetings, you are really having much higher pay (bonus and hourly) for not *that* much more work. If you have a **** store, turn it around.

If you are staff at a bad store,you're ****ed. Pic at least you can try to control the work environment. On the other hand, I know one guy who took PIC at a top performing store. As a newbie. Sorry to tell him but there's only one direction that the store can go in his hands, (downward).

In Dallas-Ft Worth they are making in the low $60's per hour to be PIC....in the Permian basin region of Texas (Midland-Odessa) they are making in the high mid $60's per hour....

DFW PICs that I know are making $67-68.

Members don't see this ad :)
If you have a **** store, turn it around.

If you are staff at a bad store,you're ******. Pic at least you can try to control the work environment. On the other hand, I know one guy who took PIC at a top performing store. As a newbie. Sorry to tell him but there's only one direction that the store can go in his hands, (downward).

You make it sound so easy. No way you could pay me to take over a bad store. That one guy you know has the right idea. Take over a good store and just don't screw it up. Fixing a bad store is no easy thing. If it was, there wouldn't be bad stores, lol.

In the past at CVS, the pharmacy manager role was not worth it. It was only 1-2 dollars more.

Now a days, it is generally at least 3-5 dollars more, stock options every year, and double the bonus. My bonus was 10k versus my staff at 5k...

What most people don't realize is that in the long term, it can pay off exponentially. For example, I know that I am making at least 10 dollars more than my staff.

The reason is that you get percentage increases off your old salary. Also, PICs, especially good ones get higher raises and have a higher "cap" than staff pharmacists.

For me, being pharmacy manager was worth it. I like to do my way. I like to have results that speak for myself. I know that if I interview at another job, I have a lot of "stories" to tell, and results to show.

Chug, chug, chug the Kool Aid.

Pick up one extra shift a month and you will make the same amount of money as the Pharmacy Manager. That 1 extra shift a month equals an additional 8k to 10k a year.

Or you can chug, chug, CHUG THE KOOL AID.

Reactions: 1 users

Pick up one extra shift a month and you will make the same amount of money as the Pharmacy Manager. That 1 extra shift a month equals an additional 8k to 10k a year.

My base is 155k. My bonus was 10k vs staff of 5k. I also get more stock options which adds another 3-5k cash every two years.

At > 69$ an hour, I make 10 dollars more than my staff.

If I CHOOSE to pick up extra shifts which I do, I get paid more.

I do not have more job responsibilities because I know how to delegate. So all things being equal, who is drinking the cool aid?

I fail to see your logic....

My base is 155k. My bonus was 10k vs staff of 5k. I also get more stock options which adds another 3-5k cash every two years.

I do not have more job responsibilities because I know how to delegate. So all things being equal, who is drinking the cool aid?

In the past at CVS, the pharmacy manager role was not worth it. It was only 1-2 dollars more.

Now a days, it is generally at least 3-5 dollars more, stock options every year, and double the bonus. My bonus was 10k versus my staff at 5k...

What most people don't realize is that in the long term, it can pay off exponentially. For example, I know that I am making at least 10 dollars more than my staff.

The reason is that you get percentage increases off your old salary. Also, PICs, especially good ones get higher raises and have a higher "cap" than staff pharmacists.

For me, being pharmacy manager was worth it. I like to do my way. I like to have results that speak for myself. I know that if I interview at another job, I have a lot of "stories" to tell, and results to show.

My thoughts as well. The ability to have a stake in and a say in how the pharmacy runs is worth the increase in stress. As a staff you are busting your butt for something you can't control and aren't rewarded for. As a pic you're rewarded for extra effort, and it's not just financial, but also professional satisfaction

How do CVS and Walgreens handle paying PICs for the extra time it takes to do management duties? At Walmart they don't pay you for that, so becoming PIC actually amounts to a pay cut when you consider pay divided by hours worked, at least at my store where there's no time during regular working hours to do anything but dispense. Does any other company expect this out of their managers?

How do CVS and Walgreens handle paying PICs for the extra time it takes to do management duties? At Walmart they don't pay you for that, so becoming PIC actually amounts to a pay cut when you consider pay divided by hours worked, at least at my store where there's no time during regular working hours to do anything but dispense. Does any other company expect this out of their managers?

Does any company NOT expect this ?

You also have more liability. If your staff, floater or tech did something wrong, both of you may be fine. I know three PIC that were fine by the board for things they can't control either on break, lunch or was off. Chain used to pay for it but not anymore

Chug, chug, chug, chug... !

You also have more liability. If your staff, floater or tech did something wrong, both of you may be fine. I know three PIC that were fine by the board for things they can't control either on break, lunch or was off. Chain used to pay for it but not anymore
Precisely!
There was a PIC of an Odessa TX Walgreens who literally had 3 Pharm Techs quit over the course of 2 days because WAGs had promised them raises and didn't follow through. Of course the management at WAGs failed to have registered (in Texas it's required) replacements to cover these 120 man hours and Wags was falling behind. So the PIC at Wags, who was left with 1 licensed Tech, wound up allowing NON-registered employees(who were waiting to get their Tech in training certificates--it takes about 3-5 weeks) behind the counter to count. The Techs who quit found out about it, called the Texas State Board of Pharmacy and the PIC was reprimanded and fined once the board inspectors came in and performed an audit on Tech intials. He was powerless in this scenario and his only recourse would have been to quit. Unfortunately, he wound up doing just that about 6 months later......

And with the tightening job market, once that CHAIN EMPLOYER decides that they don't want to employ you any longer and either reduces your hours or fires you outright, trying to get a job with a NEW EMPLOYER while having a blemish on your license no matter how easily explained away it is will be an uphill battle simply to get an interview.

The tightening of the job market is coming for everyone folks:

http://www.medscape.com/viewarticle/811430_5

"Even if 2012 proves to be the last year of major academic expansion, the full impact will not be felt until 2018, at which time the job market will have to assimilate new pharmacists at a rate of about 15,000 per year. Contrast that rate with the 30-year period from 1974 to 2003, during which the annual number of pharmacy graduates ranged between 6,000 and 8,000.[16] The number surpassed 8,000 for the first time in 2004. By 2008, it had risen to 10,000. It exceeded 12,000 in 2012 and is poised to exceed 14,000 by 2016.[7]"

I do see your point when the store is running smoothly and you are making targets with the employees being generally happy. It seems the problems come about when corp raises metrics to an unobtainable level (which they will do to limit bonus and yearly raise) and you have to respond by making your techs/staff work even harder. At some point, your techs have had enough and find hospital jobs that pay $2-4/hour more with 50% less stress so your three best people leave all at once. This is what is happening right now at my store and I guarantee you that the stress the PIC is facing (and according to him, sleepless nights and marriage problems) are not worth the extra 3.50/hr he makes over me plus about 3.5k in bonus.

I am a little curious about the increased stock options though, I get $1000 every other year and perhaps a PIC gets 2k? I suppose all totaled my, PIC makes about 11k/year more than I do, assuming a decent bonus, but he has also been with the company for 30+ years compared to my 14.

I won't speak for anyone else, but I don't give one extra second to the company. What I can't get done during my shift either my partner handles (I am very lucky to have a partner as good as mine) or it doesn't get done. CVS does not need me to martyr myself.

I was just doing an overnight where I took over for the PIC. She stayed almost an hour late looking over the P/L and doing misc stuff. It's none of my business, but you won't catch me doing that, ever.

I know three PIC that were fine by the board for things they can't control either on break, lunch or was off.

What are the details?

The Techs who quit found out about it, called the Texas State Board of Pharmacy and the PIC was reprimanded and fined once the board inspectors came in and performed an audit on Tech intials.

Was there bad blood? Why would the techs who quit find out and then report it to the board? That is just terrible.

This is what is happening right now at my store and I guarantee you that the stress the PIC is facing (and according to him, sleepless nights and marriage problems) are not worth the extra 3.50/hr he makes over me plus about 3.5k in bonus.

OK, that is just crazy. At that point turn in your 2 week notice and look for something else.

What are the details?

Was there bad blood? Why would the techs who quit find out and then report it to the board? That is just terrible.

OK, that is just crazy. At that point turn in your 2 week notice and look for something else.

Why would they report it to the board? Because they were promised a pay raise by Wags, waited patiently and that raise never came.

http://www.pharmacy.texas.gov/dbsearch/phy_zoom.asp?id=21399

With Rite Aid the pay increase from staff to PIC is roughly 5-6$/hr

So the penalty/fine was against the pharmacy, not the pharmacy manager? That seems reasonable to me.
No. Both the PIC and store got fined and written up. I simply linked to the store. The PIC quit that store.im not going to post his name on a public message board.

No. Both the PIC and store got fined and written up. I simply linked to the store. The PIC quit that store.im not going to post his name on a public message board.

Um, the name is listed on what you posted. So I looked up that RPh and you are right (I won't post the name here even though it is public record), and the fine was $4000. Ouch. Hope the techs who reported that RPh are happy with themselves.

I won't speak for anyone else, but I don't give one extra second to the company. What I can't get done during my shift either my partner handles (I am very lucky to have a partner as good as mine) or it doesn't get done. CVS does not need me to martyr myself.

I was just doing an overnight where I took over for the PIC. She stayed almost an hour late looking over the P/L and doing misc stuff. It's none of my business, but you won't catch me doing that, ever.

Exactly....

I do not stay late to do paperwork. I do it on my time while I am at work. I know of pharmacy managers that stay late to do their paperwork and clean up the stores. I can see why...., but a huge part of that has to do with planning properly and delegating work to techs/rph. It never made sense to me why the pharmacy manager has to do all the paperwork, and the staff pharmacist always "leaves on time"....

I do see your point when the store is running smoothly and you are making targets with the employees being generally happy. It seems the problems come about when corp raises metrics to an unobtainable level (which they will do to limit bonus and yearly raise) and you have to respond by making your techs/staff work even harder. At some point, your techs have had enough and find hospital jobs that pay $2-4/hour more with 50% less stress so your three best people leave all at once. This is what is happening right now at my store and I guarantee you that the stress the PIC is facing (and according to him, sleepless nights and marriage problems) are not worth the extra 3.50/hr he makes over me plus about 3.5k in bonus.

I am a little curious about the increased stock options though, I get $1000 every other year and perhaps a PIC gets 2k? I suppose all totaled my, PIC makes about 11k/year more than I do, assuming a decent bonus, but he has also been with the company for 30+ years compared to my 14.

About that, I understand what you mean. My store currently has "unobtainable levels".... I think a huge part of that goes back into your sup, and how realistic they are.

For example, it is hard for me to increase my scripts 5 percent at a high volume store. Instead, I focus on things that I can control such as customer service, inventory, and KPM.

I have lost technicians to hospitals. I also have kept technicians in the job, by either getting them a match if I feel it is justified or working with them to get a promotion. Lead techs get paid about 14... which is still less than hospitals. However if they move up in the corporate ladder, they can get paid 17-18 an hour as trainers, admins, etc. I give them a speech and a road map about what they can do in the company... and I have gave up techs to corporate before.

For stock options, instead of every other year, we get it every year...

I think ultimately, it goes back into what your priorities are. I like to do things my own way, I don't mind the extra money, and I enjoy managing a store and "leading" an awesome team.

Last edited:

I do have more liability. That is one of the biggest reason why I wanted to be a PIC.

When I was a new graduate, the store that I was a staff at was horrible. Bad pharmacy manager = bad store. The narc book was off constantly. As a pharmacy manager, he also filled a lot of narcs that had red flags. I could turn them down but it was always an arguement because "the other guy always fill it for me, why cant you?". A lot of things were not compliant... I felt my license was constantly in danger because of the pharmacy manager.

At my store now, compliance is my number one priority. I get to tell my staff that if they are not comfortable filling a narcotic, don't fill it. I get to make sure that somebody stays on top of strongpak (hazardous waste), narcotic inventory, training modules, etc.

I think ultimately, everybody has their preference. I just want to make sure OP hears both sides of the story.

Yeah that had been my impression of what some of my managers think but I was curious how true it is.

To get back to this statement, I asked several friends of mine about this and pretty unanimously they said they wish they had not taken the PIC role. Only a few said they would do it again if they had the choice. I only know two people who have actually stepped down from the PIC position though.

Some things to think about: One told me he got an extra dollar an hour. I personally would not do it for that small of a raise. Another person complained about all the extra work. They could probably lean on their partners/staff more, which leads to my next point. I personally would not take over a store with a bad staff or bad partner pharmacist. Too much headache.

Personally for me it has not been bad, yet. Ask me again in a year. ;)

It never made sense to me why the pharmacy manager has to do all the paperwork, and the staff pharmacist always "leaves on time"....

This was a point of contention between me and my last partner (she as the PIC). She expected me to stay late if anything wasn't done. No. I bust my ass the whole time I am at work and do my best to make sure everything gets done. I also know which things are graded (like cycle counts) and which things are not the end of the world if they don't get done (like clearing the queue for things dated days out or changing half full green bags). If someone calls out or we are understaffed or whatever, I am NOT staying late to pull the slack, nor do I expect that from other pharmacists. She would stay late and she expected me to as well. Sorry, no. If I were hourly, sure, but I am not paid to stay late so I am not going to do it.

Goes back to the martyr complex IMO. Some people just love to say they "had" to stay two hours late or w/e for some reason. No, you didn't. That was your choice.

Exactly....

I do not stay late to do paperwork. I do it on my time while I am at work. I know of pharmacy managers that stay late to do their paperwork and clean up the stores. I can see why...., but a huge part of that has to do with planning properly and delegating work to techs/rph. It never made sense to me why the pharmacy manager has to do all the paperwork, and the staff pharmacist always "leaves on time"....

Because we don't give a f*ck! We are staff RPh's. Pay me extra and I'll do your paperwork. If you give me your paperwork and I don't do it, it's too easy for me to say "WTF you looking at? I didn't have time. You do it." And that's why I can walk right out the door not a minute late.

You can actually get a decently substantial bonus. But you need a unicorn store and to handle it

Otherwise for most stores not worth the trouble. Only benefits would then be arranging everything how you like it and ordering everyone around

Precisely!
There was a PIC of an Odessa TX Walgreens who literally had 3 Pharm Techs quit over the course of 2 days because WAGs had promised them raises and didn't follow through. Of course the management at WAGs failed to have registered (in Texas it's required) replacements to cover these 120 man hours and Wags was falling behind. So the PIC at Wags, who was left with 1 licensed Tech, wound up allowing NON-registered employees(who were waiting to get their Tech in training certificates--it takes about 3-5 weeks) behind the counter to count. The Techs who quit found out about it, called the Texas State Board of Pharmacy and the PIC was reprimanded and fined once the board inspectors came in and performed an audit on Tech intials. He was powerless in this scenario and his only recourse would have been to quit. Unfortunately, he wound up doing just that about 6 months later......

Your post was an example in response to someone who talked about the PIC getting in trouble for things beyond his control. But your example is an example of the PIC getting in trouble for things he COULD control. He should never have allowed illegal personal in the pharmacy....he should have called around to other stores to see if he could get some techs, tell customers its going to be a 6 hour wait for new RX's & 24hours for refills (or whatever it took) due to the short staffing, worked extra hours himself, just up & quit, etc. He would have been better off paying the techs who quit the extra dollar an hour a piece out of his own pocket, to get them to stay until suitable help could be licensed. Not saying any of these are enjoyable choices, but they are all clearly better choices then his choice to break the law, have his licensed blemished, and pay a $4,000 fine. He did not get in trouble with the board because of other people's actions, he got in trouble because of his own actions.

You are a *****. Being a PM isn't all about money. Everyone talks about this "extra work" when in reality, it's LESS WORK. As a PM, you are running the store. You are the boss. Whatever you say, as long as it isn't illegal or against policy goes. I make my staff rphs do all the work. I know how to do it, so I delegate it. I end up getting everything done properly, get paid more, and having less work done. More than one DM has told me to delegate all day so as to increase desirability of the PM position.

Plus, being the boss and not having to answer to anyone is a plus as well. Who's drinking the kool aid now?

It seems the people who blast chains and PIC positions are the ones who probably couldn't ever handle being one or just simply don't know how to lead. I know so many staff rphs that would **** their pants if they actually had to coach someone or delegate a task. More power to them. They can do all the paperwork while I oversee it.

But yeah, I'm drinking the "kool aid".

Reactions: 1 users
Your post was an example in response to someone who talked about the PIC getting in trouble for things beyond his control. But your example is an example of the PIC getting in trouble for things he COULD control. He should never have allowed illegal personal in the pharmacy....he should have called around to other stores to see if he could get some techs, tell customers its going to be a 6 hour wait for new RX's & 24hours for refills (or whatever it took) due to the short staffing, worked extra hours himself, just up & quit, etc. He would have been better off paying the techs who quit the extra dollar an hour a piece out of his own pocket, to get them to stay until suitable help could be licensed. Not saying any of these are enjoyable choices, but they are all clearly better choices then his choice to break the law, have his licensed blemished, and pay a $4,000 fine. He did not get in trouble with the board because of other people's actions, he got in trouble because of his own actions.
His ONLY option was quitting. ( which he wound up doing anyway). He absoluteky DID NOT have the option if paying his techs a higher wage; that comes from his DM and corporate. And if he would've done what you wrote: tell patients that it'll be a 6 hour wait he would've simply been fired with the rash of complaints he would have received. Being a PIC for a chain is in fact accepting additional risk for some processes that are out of the PICs control. Paying wages commensurate with keeping his techs happy was one if those things. He tried to be the good company man by trying to trudge through a time of transition and he paid for it literally

In NYC, it is 9-10 dollars more because the PIC is non "unionized"...

Union only set the minimum rate a pharmacist gets paid. Employers can give more than the minimum negotiated pay.

Having worked in NY and in a unionized state, I don't think unions have anything to do your current salary. Also, at $69+ you are probably closing in on red line or red circle salary cap CVS has in place. Obviously those numbers are only available at district level. I have only seen red line/circle for techs.

You are a *****. Being a PM isn't all about money. Everyone talks about this "extra work" when in reality, it's LESS WORK. As a PM, you are running the store. You are the boss. Whatever you say, as long as it isn't illegal or against policy goes. I make my staff rphs do all the work. I know how to do it, so I delegate it. I end up getting everything done properly, get paid more, and having less work done. More than one DM has told me to delegate all day so as to increase desirability of the PM position.

Plus, being the boss and not having to answer to anyone is a plus as well. Who's drinking the kool aid now?

It seems the people who blast chains and PIC positions are the ones who probably couldn't ever handle being one or just simply don't know how to lead. I know so many staff rphs that would **** their pants if they actually had to coach someone or delegate a task. More power to them. They can do all the paperwork while I oversee it.

But yeah, I'm drinking the "kool aid".

You are still working under someone? What would happen if the DM were to walk in and saw you working in t-shirt and jeans?

No argument here on the need to delegate as a PIC. But as a PIC, the actual control over staff pharmacists is rather minimal. You still have to go through your DM/Sup to get anywhere. There is more control over your techs but if you are pulling the plug on a more experienced tech because they are not performing their delegated tasks, can you really find quality replacements with the current tech starting salary/raise system in place? By the time they are ready to contribute, they can find better pay and work conditions elsewhere.

Precisely!

I know exactly who you're talking about lol. Luckily he's not working for a chain but I'm sure that $4,000 fine really hurt.