Pharmacy Managers

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Did you request for the staff pharmacist to be fired?
Don't be afraid to build a new team. Be fair and lead by example. Good luck!

No I didn't. The RPH got himself in trouble.

Members don't see this ad.

There is a Chinese saying 先苦后甜,bitterness comes before sweetness。 I'm disappointed by what I sense here. How can this country stay ascendant if its people lack the ability to see further than what's in front of their noses? The Chinese people and government is plotting for 20-30 years on the horizon, and this lack of vision is the rest of the Americans can strive for?

the only chinese saying that speaks volume everyday is air pollution and water pollution. 2o-30 years ago if they saw this on the horizon and lacked an action plan that lead to where they are today, each and every day hazardous level of air pollution, then chinese people are not visionaries.. i floated at a cvs store yesterday and i heard stories about the PIC there being chinese. she comes regularly on her off days to work without pay. i don't think the extra $5/hr is worth it being PIC. you're not making more. you're actually making less!

Reactions: 1 user
I came in on my days off all the time to help out. I had to work off the clock even though it's California and I risked termination for doing so. But if I don't work off the clock, the DM would get mad about stuff not being done. It's a catch 22, no matter what I do, I lose. Quitting as a CVS pic was the best decison I made.

Reactions: 2 users
Members don't see this ad :)
the only chinese saying that speaks volume everyday is air pollution and water pollution. 2o-30 years ago if they saw this on the horizon and lacked an action plan that lead to where they are today, each and every day hazardous level of air pollution, then chinese people are not visionaries.. i floated at a cvs store yesterday and i heard stories about the PIC there being chinese. she comes regularly on her off days to work without pay. i don't think the extra $5/hr is worth it being PIC. you're not making more. you're actually making less!

Pollution? Did US and most industrialized countries not travel through that stage to get to where we are today? Now those same ones are telling a rising China that it has to tie one hand behind its back? China knows that pollution is an issue and is starting to work on it, ramping up as the nation develops and can afford to. 30 years ago China was as poor as any African country, asking people struggling just to put food on the table to care about pollution makes no sense.

As for your supposed Chinese PIC, I don't know her, nor is she here to defend her action plan. We can play a guessing game or we can let her do her thing and see where she ends up. Besides, what does looking at one person in 1.4 billion prove?

US and other western nations did not go through that stage because they sent that stage to china and india.

US and other western nations did not go through that stage because they sent that stage to china and india.

Just about every developed country did. US, UK, Germany, etc, all became industrialized by using cheap but destructive and polluting resource to power their growth during the 20th century. Now that 1st world countries turns around telling developing ones like China and India, "oh no, you can't pollute like we did". A big part of the real reason is "we don't want to lose our lead, so we need to slow you down."

What was the RPH fired for? But if it reveals too much, you don't have to answer.

It sounds like the major obstacles have been cleared for you and 7% salary bump is solid. Now all you need to do is train your techs and get a solid partner quickly. When you have floaters filling in for second slot, it is not the best option either.

Just about every developed country did. US, UK, Germany, etc, all became industrialized by using cheap but destructive and polluting resource to power their growth during the 20th century. Now that 1st world countries turns around telling developing ones like China and India, "oh no, you can't pollute like we did". A big part of the real reason is "we don't want to lose our lead, so we need to slow you down."

The difference is there were no other alternatives when the rest of the world went through this period. Technology has improved since then and it does not absolve China at all from killing it's people slowly via pollution. They have the ability and the means they choose not to in pursuit of money and power.

The difference is there were no other alternatives when the rest of the world went through this period. Technology has improved since then and it does not absolve China at all from killing it's people slowly via pollution. They have the ability and the means they choose not to in pursuit of money and power.

Let's see, fossil fuel, deforestation, mining, are still what we do today in the US. Besides the little used solar and nuclear, what new alternative? oh, you mean adding 100000 new regulations to do these old things in the developed nations to make it so expensive that dirty industry is exported to china and India, who admittedly are willing to trade cleanliness for money and growth like the US last century. So Americans can still gobble up cheap prices while the chines and Indians breath the fumes. Then while talking on the iPhones or shopping at Walmart, first world countries love to complaining about the damned Asians countries not being as clean, or worried about them catching up so fast. You know what that does smell like? Hypocrisy.

Last edited:
Let's see, fossil fuel, deforestation, mining, are still what we do today in the US. Besides the little used solar and nuclear, what new alternative? oh, you mean adding 100000 new regulations to do these old things in the developed nations to make it so expensive that dirty industry is exported to china and India, who admittedly are willing to trade cleanliness for money and growth like the US last century. So Americans can still gobble up cheap prices while the chines and Indians breath the fumes. Then while talking on the iPhones or shopping at Walmart, first world countries love to complaining about the damned Asians countries not being as clean, or worried about them catching up so fast. You know what that does smell like? Hypocrisy.

Let's look at the clean water act and the clean air act. Look at air quality in LA and Bejing. Get real. When we did most of our pollution we did not have the technology to check it. Now we do. China chooses not to in order to make money..... China could make plenty of money and still have clean air and water. They choose not to.

Let's look at the clean water act and the clean air act. Look at air quality in LA and Bejing. Get real. When we did most of our pollution we did not have the technology to check it. Now we do. China chooses not to in order to make money..... China could make plenty of money and still have clean air and water. They choose not to.

But at the same time, you are choosing to buy cheap Chinese products. Vote with your wallet.

I don't see pollution as just a China problem. I see it as a global problem. People want things fast and cheap. So be ready to pay the price.

If we can do it so cheaply with all those regulations that increases the cost of goods, then why aren't we manufacturing it and make the big bucks? Or the western countries choose not to make money? Let's get real.

But at the same time, you are choosing to buy cheap Chinese products. Vote with your wallet.

I don't see pollution as just a China problem. I see it as a global problem. People want things fast and cheap. So be ready to pay the price.

You got it. Developed countries want to keep the house clean but not pay a lot for it. The developing countries don't mind doing dirty work if it gets them richer faster. Both are willing parties in on the same deal. When China and India are developed, it'll be africa's turn, and we are already seeing China doing some of that, and round and round it goes...

Members don't see this ad :)

I only buy Chinese products when there is no other option. I go out of my way not to by products from China.

Good for you. But most Americans and the rest of the world doesn't think like you do. And besides, China is already the transitioning beyond export driven growth stage.

No matter what problem anyone might have with the chinese givernment, one thing is for sure: they have planned and done more to better the living standards of its people in the last 30 years than any major nation in the human history.

Anyone who remember the famous question Regan asked fellow americans to judge our own government:"are you better off than you were 4 yeahs ago", would have some fair and unbiased understand what answering yes more than 30 years straight means for the chinese, 1/5th of the people on earth.

Last edited:
Good for you. But most Americans and the rest of the world doesn't think like you do. And besides, China is already the transitioning beyond export driven growth stage..

That remains to be seen.

No matter what problem anyone might have with the chinese givernment, one thing is for sure: they have planned and done more to better the living standards of its people in the last 30 years than any major nation in the human history.

That's a little hyperbolic. As for standard of living. They have improved so much in 30 years that are 90th in standard of living. That means they had nowhere to go but up.

Anyone who remember the famous question Regan asked fellow americans to judge our own government:"are you better off than you were 4 yeahs ago", would have some fair and unbiased understand what answering yes more than 30 years straight means for the chinese, 1/5th of the people on earth.

If it's so good, move to China. I don't think you will. There is at present, no comparison between the US and China in any metric. They are second to us in GDP but per capita they are in the 90's, while the US is in the top ten. I don't see the US government or US companies trying to steal Chinese business secrets as they don't invent anything.

You can give China a pass if you want. But except by pure economic power, they are an epic fail in every other way. The standard of living, per capita income, general living conditions, China is almost third world. Combine that with an autocratic one party political system and you have a recipe for not a nice place to live. Based on the pollution index, China is the 10th most polluted country on the planet. They did all that and improved that much to get to be in 90th place by standard of living. They have more polluted cities than any other country.

There is no place on this planet like the US. None. It is an imperfect, but exceptional country. My ancestors came here dirt poor with nothing just about 100 years ago. Three generations later I am an American and I make a six figure income. That is impossible anywhere else on this planet. I might be able to move to China and make a fortune, but I could never be Chinese. Chinese look a certain way and I could never pass for Chinese. Americans look like well, just about anything.

That remains to be seen.

It's been happening. The chinese government's even outlines these economic plans to the public. Export made up 35-40% of the chinese GDP in the the early half of the 2000s, then trended downward, now it's 25% of its economy.

That's a little hyperbolic. As for standard of living. They have improved so much in 30 years that are 90th in standard of living. That means they had nowhere to go but up.

Not hyperbolic, just stating a well established fact. And sure, standards of living was low, but so was Europe before industrialization. Yet even during the famed industrial revolution, the standards of living never grew as fast.

If it's so good, move to China. I don't think you will. There is at present, no comparison between the US and China in any metric. They are second to us in GDP but per capita they are in the 90's, while the US is in the top ten. I don't see the US government or US companies trying to steal Chinese business secrets as they don't invent anything.

You can give China a pass if you want. But except by pure economic power, they are an epic fail in every other way. The standard of living, per capita income, general living conditions, China is almost third world. Combine that with an autocratic one party political system and you have a recipe for not a nice place to live. Based on the pollution index, China is the 10th most polluted country on the planet. They did all that and improved that much to get to be in 90th place by standard of living. They have more polluted cities than any other country.

There is no place on this planet like the US. None. It is an imperfect, but exceptional country. My ancestors came here dirt poor with nothing just about 100 years ago. Three generations later I am an American and I make a six figure income. That is impossible anywhere else on this planet. I might be able to move to China and make a fortune, but I could never be Chinese. Chinese look a certain way and I could never pass for Chinese. Americans look like well, just about anything.

I agree with you that China's living standard/per capita income is 1/4-1/5th of the US, but it was 1/60th of the US 30 years ago. I also don't know why you like to point at US's higher per capita income, but at the same time ignore the fact US's per capita greenhouse gas production is 3x higher than China's.

I don't care for patriotism or flag waving, as they are not logical. Hence I don't care about buying American or Chinese, but what best suits my needs. I give credit where it is due, and while China still have a lot of developing to do, but it's not up for debate that they have planned and executed an amazing feat of economic development. A wise person would respect and plan ahead against an competitor of that caliber, rather than trying to belittle its achievements.

Last edited:
It's been happening. The chinese government's even outlines these economic plans to the public. Export made up 35-40% of the chinese GDP in the the early half of the 2000s, then trended downward, now it's 25% of its economy.

Not hyperbolic, just stating a well established fact. And sure, standards of living was low, but so was Europe before industrialization. Yet even during the famed industrial revolution, the standards of living never grew as fast.

I agree with you that China's living standard/per capita income is 1/4-1/5th of the US, but it was 1/60th of the US 30 years ago. I also don't know why you like to point at US's higher per capita income, but at the same time ignore the fact US's per capita greenhouse gas production is 3x higher than China's.

I don't care for patriotism or flag waving, as they are not logical. Hence I don't care about buying American or Chinese, but what best suits my needs. I give credit where it is due, and while China still have a lot of developing to do, but it's not up for debate that they have planned and executed an amazing feat of economic development. A wise person would respect and plan ahead against an competitor of that caliber, rather than trying to belittle its achievements.

We could debate this from now until the cows come home. I guess I would now like you to back up your assertions with some facts. According to what I can see Chinese exports have continued to rise. You may see this as adjusted to GDP, but that is a little misleading as GDP fell pretty much everywhere during the recession so many customers imported less from China.

china-exports.jpg

I see Chinese exports rising all through the last decade.

As for being patriotic. I plead guilty. I repeat there is no place like this anywhere. Where citizenship is built on an ideal not on genetics. Every wave of immigration is absorbed into the American culture and becomes American, It is not like that anywhere on this planet.

Look at Nobel Prize winners by country:

screenshot%202014-10-08%2006.33.01.png

I wonder why one country seems to dominate. If you take the time to look at the names you will the American winners com from a diverse background. You will let me know when people are clamoring to get into China to go to graduate school.

So yes I am a flag waver. I don't belittle the Chinese achievements. I see them for what they are. China has tremendous economic power, they gave 1/5 of the world's population. But you cannot excuse their corrupt government that censors the Internet, condones corporate espionage, suppresses it's people and poisons the air they breath and the water they drink. Hitler did a lot for Germany too. All the economic planning and management efficiency you attribute to the Chinese government could be said of the Nazis.

I guess I would now like you to back up your assertions with some facts. According to what I can see Chinese exports have continued to rise. You may see this as adjusted to GDP, but that is a little misleading as GDP fell pretty much everywhere during the recession so many customers imported less from China.

china-exports.jpg

I see Chinese exports rising all through the last decade.

Sure I'll back up my assertion with facts.

The clear error in your graph is it's export in $ value. But China's GDP grew much faster than it's export.

Here's the link to world bank's break down of China's exports as % of it's GDP. http://data.worldbank.org/indicator/NE.EXP.GNFS.ZS/countries/1W-CN?display=graph

As you can see, export used to make up 35-40% of China's GDP, now it's just 26%.

The chinese government publish their economic plans every 5 years, and they starting staying that they will start transitioning from an export driven economy to a more internal consumption based one (like the US) in their last 2 plans, and as you can see it's doing just that.

As for being patriotic. I plead guilty. I repeat there is no place like this anywhere. Where citizenship is built on an ideal not on genetics. Every wave of immigration is absorbed into the American culture and becomes American, It is not like that anywhere on this planet.

Patriotism means nothing in logic term. A true fact based logical thinker finds no place for appeals to baser emotions. As the world becomes more globalized, patriotism is even more irrational.

Also, If China (or any country) had vast unclaimed and usable land/resources like the US back then, they'll be made up of immigrants too. It's only logical that human nature takes free land and resources. Alas, China has indigenous people and didn't have indians to wipe out.

Look at Nobel Prize winners by country:

screenshot%202014-10-08%2006.33.01.png

I wonder why one country seems to dominate. If you take the time to look at the names you will the American winners com from a diverse background. You will let me know when people are clamoring to get into China to go to graduate school.

Err that graph is goes back to 1901???? This is not logical. US has existed as a nation since 1776. The China we are talking about didn't even exist until 1950. It's development is almost entirely in the last 30 years. So if someone is born near the start of the developing era, he/she is only 30 years old right now. If you are going down that irrational line of thinking, then we can compare China's GDP to US's in 1776, where Imperial dynasty owned something like 40% of the world's GDP, and US had nothing. But how irrational and useless is that comparison?

So yes I am a flag waver. I don't belittle the Chinese achievements. I see them for what they are. China has tremendous economic power, they gave 1/5 of the world's population. But you cannot excuse their corrupt government that censors the Internet, condones corporate espionage, suppresses it's people and poisons the air they breath and the water they drink. Hitler did a lot for Germany too. All the economic planning and management efficiency you attribute to the Chinese government could be said of the Nazis.

Whenever someone starts to compare their opponents to the Nazis...

Sure I'll back up my assertion with facts.

The clear error in your graph is it's export in $ value. But China's GDP grew much faster than it's export.

Here's the link to world bank's break down of China's exports as % of it's GDP. http://data.worldbank.org/indicator/NE.EXP.GNFS.ZS/countries/1W-CN?display=graph

As you can see, export used to make up 35-40% of China's GDP, now it's just 26%.

The chinese government publish their economic plans every 5 years, and they starting staying that they will start transitioning from an export driven economy to a more internal consumption based one (like the US) in their last 2 plans, and as you can see it's doing just that.

But all that proves is that the world wide recession decreased the amount of products the world could buy from China. Trust me, as the world economy picks up China will export all it can

Also, If China (or any country) had vast unclaimed and usable land/resources like the US back then, they'll be made up of immigrants too. It's only logical that human nature takes free land and resources. Alas, China has indigenous people and didn't have indians to wipe out.

Nice try on the Indians. But displacement is the history of just about every country.

Err that graph is goes back to 1901???? This is not logical. US has existed as a nation since 1776. The China we are talking about didn't even exist until 1950. It's development is almost entirely in the last 30 years. So if someone is born near the start of the developing era, he/she is only 30 years old right now. If you are going down that irrational line of thinking, then we can compare China's GDP to US's in 1776, where Imperial dynasty owned something like 40% of the world's GDP, and US had nothing. But how irrational and useless is that comparison?

The Nobel price didn't exist in 1776. Logic seems to escape you. China is an autocratic dictatorship that suppresses the freedom of it's citizens. Just like the Nazi's or any other totalitarian regime they can manipulate the economy any way they want. Look at how they manipulate their currency. So the economic mirage you tout is unsustainable. China will have to choose in the near future want kind of country it wants to be. They have a large and growing middle class that sooner or later will not tolerate the government telling what they can and cannot do with their money while they are forced to breathe polluted air and drink polluted water.

Whenever someone starts to compare their opponents to the Nazis...

China is not my opponent. Nor are they the opponent of the US. China's opponent is it's people who it oppresses on a daily basis.

I made a graph of how this conversation is going

ImageUploadedBySDN Mobile1426287908.273116.jpg

Reactions: 3 users
But all that proves is that the world wide recession decreased the amount of products the world could buy from China. Trust me, as the world economy picks up China will export all it can

So economic recession reduced it's exports yet boosted Chinese GDP, and exports still on a downward trend even though the recession of 2008 is over and Chinese GDP continue to rise? Meanwhile the Chinese government had published economic plans on steadily transitioning its economy which mirrors the trend in the link I provide.

Here is an article in The Economist about the chinese consumerism http://www.economist.com/blogs/analects/2014/02/chinas-economy. If that still doesn't make the chinese economic intentions clear, I don't know what does.

Nice try on the Indians. But displacement is the history of just about every country.

You mean genocide. Let me firmly acknowledge that Chinese government has plenty of blood on its hand. I just want to head off any hypocritical argument about what Chinese vs US did to rise to power.

The Nobel price didn't exist in 1776. Logic seems to escape you.

Neither did the China we are talking about in 1901. That's the logic. Trying to compare something before it existed is just illogical.

China is an autocratic dictatorship that suppresses the freedom of it's citizens. Just like the Nazi's or any other totalitarian regime they can manipulate the economy any way they want. Look at how they manipulate their currency. So the economic mirage you tout is unsustainable. China will have to choose in the near future want kind of country it wants to be. They have a large and growing middle class that sooner or later will not tolerate the government telling what they can and cannot do with their money while they are forced to breathe polluted air and drink polluted water.

What a load of propaganda. Since the country is lead by a small group that step down every 5-10 years, it's definitely no a dictatorship. At worst it's an oligarchy, at best it's a one party republic (more the former than the latter). Further more, from the developing era onward, it has consistently had technocrats in that ruling capacity, which is a major reason for its rapid rise and economic success. The government certainly doesn't tell people what they can or can not do with their money more than here. Did you ever visit China, or just what you read on Fox News?

But I agree that China will change, but it'll most likely be steady transformation has it's 30+ years of reform track record has shown. Since so far their government has been bettering the lives of it's people for 30 years straight, I don't think their ultimate goal is to oppress it's people, but much like any other country -- serve its own national interest.

Last edited:
What a load of propaganda. Since the country is lead by a small group that step down every 5-10 years, it's definitely no a dictatorship. At worst it's an oligarchy, at best it's a one party republic (more the former than the latter). Further more, from the developing era onward, it has consistently had technocrats in that ruling capacity, which is a major reason for its rapid rise and economic success. The government certainly doesn't tell people what they can or can not do with their money more than here. Did you ever visit China, or just what you read on Fox News?

Never been. Won't go now. Don't watch Fox News except for comedic entertainment.

If China is so great then you should go back!

Here, I'll help you guys out, just cut and post the following response for each others posts:
"I know you are, but what am I."

Here, I'll help you guys out, just cut and post the following response for each others posts:
"I know you are, but what am I."

No it's not that at all. It's a spirited discussion of the Chinese economy and political system vs the US political system. There are no names called (except about the Chinese Government. xiphoid2010 is a bright highly driven guy and I personally enjoyed the give and take. I prefer clarity to agreement. I never thought I was going to convince him I was correct.

No it's not that at all. It's a spirited discussion of the Chinese economy and political system vs the US political system. There are no names called (except about the Chinese Government. xiphoid2010 is a bright highly driven guy and I personally enjoyed the give and take. I prefer clarity to agreement. I never thought I was going to convince him I was correct.

Exactly. No hard feelings at all. When I was a little boy, I lived the terrible state that China was in the 80's. Have relatives still living there now and visited China several times since, I know first hand how amazing of an advancement the Chinese government had managed to pull off. However, growing up in the US, I also have gain many western perspectives. Hence I have a more fair and balanced view of China than both the biased media in US and China portrays.

The truth is, both countries have a lot it can learn from each other. The American government today is more fair and humane, but is very ineffective and incapable of taking long term actions/planning. The Chinese government is more effective and acts to advance national interest for the long run, but employs many unfair and draconian methods to that effect. A hybrid system, like meritocracy, is what I see as a better solution than either.

Last edited:
Now, I will turn the conversation a little bit different. I work for a major pharmaceutical company based in Germany and to me, I believe that Germany may be the place that has the overall highest standard of living for a major country. Germany is both very effective in implementing policy, has solved the healthcare/education problem (education is free and totally funded by the government with the exception of a few cases) that the US and most likely China (since over there, it is based on what region you are from (gaokao (the entrance test for university in China) has lower cutoffs if you are from Beijing applying to Peking University, versus in a rural provence where you will be at a major disadvantage). Transportation is very easy there, and you don't really even need a car to get around. Finally, before going to college, they either track people in university (the Gymnasium) or on the vocational track (the Hauptschule). Hence, it is decided if someone should be tracked to go to college or not; however, the people in the vocational track still have a good job placement rate. Also in the individual major, they determine quickly (within the first year in university) whether someone is suitable for the course of study or not (weed-out courses similar to US). Germany still has western philosophy, similar to the US, but many aspects that are broken in the US seem to be fixed in Germany (especially, the healthcare / education system). Maybe both the US and China could be looking at Germany for some very good examples of how to proceed. Of course, anyone on this forum is free to agree or disagree with my observations!