Pharmacy/Medical School long distance relationship

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

pmv2984

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi! I was wondering if any Pharmacy students have experienced or is currently experiencing a relationship with a Medical student? My boyfriend of 2 years will be starting Medical School in the fall and I will be starting Pharmacy school 4 hours away in the fall also. Does anyone have any advice on how we can make this work without going "crazy"!!!?? Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

pmv2984 said:
Hi! I was wondering if any Pharmacy students have experienced or is currently experiencing a relationship with a Medical student? My boyfriend of 2 years will be starting Medical School in the fall and I will be starting Pharmacy school 4 hours away in the fall also. Does anyone have any advice on how we can make this work without going "crazy"!!!?? Thanks!

Sorry, did I click on the "Relationships by Dr. Love" forum or a pharmacy forum. I'm not so sure.

Requiem said:
Sorry, did I click on the "Relationships by Dr. Love" forum or a pharmacy forum. I'm not so sure.

Don't be a punk.

OP, it'll be hard work. Very hard, but you have to keep the long term goal in mind (assuming marriage) and that both of you are pursuing careers that will ultimately benefit your family and those around you.

Now if your goals in the future don't include each other.... that's another story all together.

Members don't see this ad :)
It's definitely doable! Just try to have quality time together when you are together. Get your school work done ahead of time and don't use your together time to study. I'm sure you'll hear this over and over, but communication is the key! Find time to talk to each other throughout the day... whether by AIM, email or phone!

Good luck!

my b/f is 10 hours away

you will both go crazy at one point

it will really just depend on the both of you
and whether or not you can handle it

Only 4 hrs away??? Really... that is not that bad depending if you two are willing to work things out, communicate, and can live without contant interaction (i.e. get suspcious and jealous if they miss your call once, etc).

I have been in a relationship for 4 yrs...3 of which we have spent in different states. (Arizona, Illnois, Texas, and New York). So me going to UIC is a huge improvement...only 2 hrs away! And to think I almost went out of state for another 4!

I use the time we spend together as a reward....it's my motivation to get everything done before I see him so I devote the most time to him. He's the only boyfriend I have had where my grades have actually improved!

pmv2984 said:

My boyfriend and I have been trying out this long-distance thing for about a year now. 1300 miles away and a national border in between us. Not to mention he's first-year med. And I'll be moving an additional 1000 miles or so farther away to go to pharmacy school this fall. And I can't forget about the time zone difference too. So 4 hours away to me doesn't seem that bad at all! :)

So far I've been able to see him every month to every other month or so. But after 2 months of not seeing the person it tends to get a little frustrating. And you'll find yourself getting annoyed (at least for me) more easily with the person because it's been so long since you've last seen them.

It's doable... it just takes a lot of time and money to spend on plane tickets, phone cards, etc. But in your case... that would be gas money. You just have to be willing to deal with it. And if you honestly think that you could be spending the rest of your life with that person one day, then a period of 3 or 4 years apart is a relatively short time.

I know this might sound lame but I always leave a message on my answering machine from my boyfriend. In the event that he has to work all day and I need something to bring my spirits back, it is always comforting to hear his voice.

pmv2984 said:

Sounds Kinda cold. but ditch him. Pharmacy school will drive you nuts, plus he will be just as involved with med school. It depends how much trust is in the relationship and how strong it is. In the last year ive seen engagements break up, 5 year old relationships break up, and a few more.

My advice is to keep it cool and see how it goes. My money is on breakup within the first semester. Dont worry, with the age group of people starting pharmacy school going up, everyone starts there p1 year with relationships, by the end of your 2nd semester there will have been a lot of breakups.....