Pharmacy residencies with lots of positions?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

stark3

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I tried to search for this but couldn't find an answer. Is there a way to search for pharmacy residencies that have a lot of residents at one site? I'm kinda clicking on each one on the ashp website but its so slow. So if anyone has any ideas, it would be appreciated!

Members don't see this ad.

That's probably the only way to do it. In general, academic medical centers normally have many positions 4+.

Oh okay. Since these places have so many residents at one time, they can't possibly offer a job to all their residents can they??

Members don't see this ad :)
Oh okay. Since these places have so many residents at one time, they can't possibly offer a job to all their residents can they??

Correct.

I did PGY-2 at a place with 10+ PGY-1s, and none of that class was hired on directly.

Depends on the year, depends on the residents, depends on the facility.

Reactions: 1 user
Correct.

I did PGY-2 at a place with 10+ PGY-1s, and none of that class was hired on directly.

Depends on the year, depends on the residents, depends on the facility.

Thats really rough. I would think they would at least take the top few that they liked.

Thats really rough. I would think they would at least take the top few that they liked.

A
Few of the PGY-2s stayed on as faculty.

Most of the staff pharmacists there are without a residency, and the clinicians are mostly PGY-2 trained.

Depends on open positions. We have a good number of residents, but there needs to be an open position in order to hire someone.

Reactions: 1 users
we have hired all 6 of our residents that we have trained since our program started, we are a mid sized community hospital with 2 residents each year

Would you like to tell us why you would like to know who has a large number of residents? Having a residency class does have its advantages, but I am not sure it is a reason to prefer one location over another.

I agree. The hospital where I work has 7 PGY1s. Out of the 6 who are not pursuing PGY2, I don't know of any employment offers yet, and we only have one position opening up in the immediate future that a resident would be eligible for.

I did pgy1 at a location with 1 other resident (there were 2 other programs in town, so 8 total residents and we did journal clubs and whatnot), but pgy2 at a place with nearly 20 residents total.

As a social person, I appreciated having the built in social circle. We aren't all close, but I have people to visit all around the country now. My network is that much broader. However, there was a lot of competition, especially for rotations. Everyone thinks they want to do critical or ID and those rotations are at a premium early in the year. I had very little mentorship due to the size of the program.

If you are someone who needs more attention, or likes to really stand out, a smaller program may be better for you. I worked with some very bright people, but I honestly couldn't tell you some of their strengths because it was just a blur of pgy1s.

Would you like to tell us why you would like to know who has a large number of residents? Having a residency class does have its advantages, but I am not sure it is a reason to prefer one location over another.

I guess my reasoning is that I am an out of state student looking at larger programs because I feel like it would have more opportunities. Since I don't have the chance to rotate at some of these smaller programs with 1-2 residents, I feel like they could find their one 'superstar' student through rotations and that might leave only 1 spot left to fight for.

Another question I have is: does the name of the residency matter after in the job search? It has already been mentioned above that larger medical institutions might not have a position for all of its residents. Does the hospital you did a residency carry a huge value when job searching in desirable to live locations like SoCal ?

Another question I have is: does the name of the residency matter after in the job search? It has already been mentioned above that larger medical institutions might not have a position for all of its residents. Does the hospital you did a residency carry a huge value when job searching in desirable to live locations like SoCal ?

It depends. For example, if you do a VA residency, you are much more likely to be considered for a job at another VA hospital elsewhere in the country than someone who did not do a VA residency. I am sure the same goes for Kaiser and other large health systems. Other than that, I think the experiences offered matter more than the name itself, and big-name hospitals typically offer a more diverse array of experiences.

I did pgy1 at a location with 1 other resident (there were 2 other programs in town, so 8 total residents and we did journal clubs and whatnot), but pgy2 at a place with nearly 20 residents total.

As a social person, I appreciated having the built in social circle. We aren't all close, but I have people to visit all around the country now. My network is that much broader. However, there was a lot of competition, especially for rotations. Everyone thinks they want to do critical or ID and those rotations are at a premium early in the year. I had very little mentorship due to the size of the program.

If you are someone who needs more attention, or likes to really stand out, a smaller program may be better for you. I worked with some very bright people, but I honestly couldn't tell you some of their strengths because it was just a blur of pgy1s.

I agree with njac...a larger program or more well known program isn't necessarily right for everyone. Some will do better in a smaller setting where they can get more individual attention and mentorship.

I did my residency at a program with 10 residents. I enjoyed meeting new people and expanding my network. Most of us were out of state so that helped us be close in the beginning because we didn't know anyone. I still keep in contact with my co-residents.

First, the name matter's if its really important (VA, John's Hopkins, etc) but not for most.

Second, larger programs usually have more applicants, interview more people, and have choice of the top students. Your odds are usually the same or better at smaller programs.