Pharmacy School and Part time

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

gyounan84

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Do you think it is fine to have a part-time job (particularly 16 hours a week only working saturday and sunday) while in pharmacy school?

Members don't see this ad.

Tell us your current status, particularly about your academics

If you want to be competitive in getting a job after graduation you need to work at a pharmacy while in school

Depending on your state, if you want to sit for the boards you need to put in a certain amount of intern hours

I would even say it's better to forfeit grades for work

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
it's more than fine if you can successfully pass your classes and this will not interfere with your professional goals. I wouldn't like that schedule bc it would be mean school mon-fri then work on the weekend... sounds like one heck of a boring life. p2 and p3 of pharm school are quite stressful bc of the fast pace and weekly exams (in my school at least) so i wouldn't do it.. You will make 16 to 20 bucks per hour, i don't think it's worth the stress and opportunity cost. I'd rather enjoy my grad school experience, you have the entire life to work ahead of you for much better wages. FYI, i worked 8 hours per week most of the weeks. 24 hr-Full time work during breaks

If you can time manage yourself during the week yep more power! From my own experience once you work about the 15-20 hour interval or higher you pretty much have no spare time for hobbies/social if you wish to remain competitive gpa-wise. Pretty much when your not working you should be studying/attending class :whistle:.

I'm a big believer in every pharmacy student being an intern somewhere. It's very beneficial to your career in more ways than one. good luck.

If your not working full time you're doing it wrong.

Reactions: 1 users
I worked 8-12 (Tuesday and Thursday) and 10-6 (Saturday) at Walgreens while I was in pharmacy school. I am a P4 student right now and I just got a job offer from Walgreens. I am also not in Rho Chi. It all depends on what you prioritize. Good luck.

I worked 8-12 (Tuesday and Thursday) and 10-6 (Saturday) at Walgreens while I was in pharmacy school. I am a P4 student right now and I just got a job offer from Walgreens. I am also not in Rho Chi. It all depends on what you prioritize. Good luck.

And it apparently depends on where you go to school. My school was pretty much 8-5 every day between classes and labs during the didactic years. Then same schedule just clerkship after that.

Reactions: 1 user
I worked 10-20 hours weekly except for rough exam weeks and would hit close to 30 on summer breaks.

I know for 100% certainty I wouldnt be an ER Pharmacist straight out of school without my job as a tech since 2PD year. Was constantly asked about what I was going to do and offered jobs throughout rotations due to my work history and work ethic.

Reactions: 1 user