pharmacy shadowing

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Integral7

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Can anyone give me suggestions as to where I can find shadowing opportunities in pharmacy? I called various hospitals like the Children's and Kaiser, but no luck. I also tried asking via walk-in at an independent pharmacy store, but they told me they don't offer that kind of thing. I'm beginning to think I won't be able to shadow any kind of pharmacy? :confused:

Members don't see this ad.

Can anyone give me suggestions as to where I can find shadowing opportunities in pharmacy? I called various hospitals like the Children's and Kaiser, but no luck. I also tried asking via walk-in at an independent pharmacy store, but they told me they don't offer that kind of thing. I'm beginning to think I won't be able to shadow any kind of pharmacy? :confused:

That's interesting, for me most pharmacies I called were willing to offer the opportunity to job shadow. I recently shadowed in an independent pharmacy and next week I'm shadowing in the hospital. I would look into other pharmacies in your town and give them a shot.

Well I live in LA, if that makes a difference. Anyway, how did you ask at the independent pharmacy store for that shadowing?

Members don't see this ad :)
Well I live in LA, if that makes a difference. Anyway, how did you ask at the independent pharmacy store for that shadowing?

Well I live in average sized town, and LA is definitely larger. With that being said, more pharmacies should be available for you to shadow in. I actually just called them, I didn't walk in like you did. It was fairly easy process for me, and It just depends on the pharmacist and the store's policy whether they will allow you to or not,

Try a compounding or nuclear pharmacy in your area..they may not give you many hours to shadow but the experience is amazing and will look good in your application!

Generally you're going to want to ask around at independent pharmacies as chain ones will usually say no due to liability issues and whatnot.

To go along with the previous poster, compounding and nuclear pharmacies are a good idea. Although I'm not sure just how good a nuclear pharmacy shadowing will look as relatively few people are interested in that field and even fewer job positions (around 2-20 nuclear pharmacies per state) are available, I know that Cardinal Health offers tours for its nuclear pharmacy facilities.

Generally you're going to want to ask around at independent pharmacies as chain ones will usually say no due to liability issues and whatnot.

Well I just came back from two more independent pharmacies and was rejected by both :confused:. I mean it might have to do with the fact that I went looking in Chinatown, LA; there were like ten people working in there and every pharmacist/employee in the store was Asian with some sort of accent (I'm Chinese myself, so not trying employ any sort of racism here). When I asked if they offered shadowing, they all sounded very confused until I elaborated further. When they finally understood what I was trying to inquire, they just declined and said they were really busy or something.

I guess my only other options now are to check either compounding or retail pharmacies, although it's very unlikely that retail will accept, based on what you've just advised. :(

Last edited:
Well I just came back from two more independent pharmacies and was rejected by both :confused:. I mean it might have to do with the fact that I went looking in Chinatown, LA; there were like ten people working in there and every pharmacist/employee in the store was Asian with some sort of accent (I'm Chinese myself, so not trying employ any sort of racism here). When I asked if they offered shadowing, they all sounded very confused until I elaborated further. When they finally understood what I was trying to inquire, they just declined and said they were really busy or something.

I guess my only other options now are to check either compounding or retail pharmacies, although it’s very unlikely that retail will accept, based on what you've just advised. :(

just sent you a PM.

Get your tech license and apply for job..

Get your tech license and apply for job..

Well I'm not really looking for a job atm, just an hour or two of shadowing and I'm done. I did have plans of getting a tech license, but I heard it takes like 3 months (I live in CA) before I get certified. This means I won't be able to work since 3 months is basically my whole summer? :confused:

Some places like CVS hire if your in process of getting license.

CPhT is the way to go for experience!

What is CPht? Im curious because I'm also looking for some experience through shadowing. No luck through the local hospitals yet and wasn't offered a tech position at the 3 CVS in my area (no license needed)

What is CPht? Im curious because I'm also looking for some experience through shadowing. No luck through the local hospitals yet and wasn't offered a tech position at the 3 CVS in my area (no license needed)
Certified Pharmacy technician. For those looking for pharmacy experience, being a CPht will help you tremendously. If not, then you could always volunteer at the hospital or shadow a pharmacist in a retail setting.