Pharmacy Student Applying to Dental School - Advices Needed

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

azxken

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi guys,

I'm currently in pharmacy school in CA and thinking to drop out of this term and focus on studying for the DAT -- hoping to get a good score so that I can apply this year. I'm thinking of switching to dental because I believe that the field will suit me much better. I was a pre-dental student during my freshman year but then switched to pre-pharmacy at my senior year and got into pharmacy school the following year. Now, I realized that the pharmacy profession is not for me and I want to go back.

Here are my stats:
Undergrad GPA
cGPA: 3.33; sGPA: 3.12; BCP: 3.05
200 hours of shadowing at a dental clinic (about 3 years ago)
LOR: 1 from a professor and most likely going to request from the dentist where I shadowed

I know that my stats aren't great and I haven't taken the DAT yet so it's hard to say..

Anyways, what do you guys think of my case? Should I go for my dream profession or just continue on with pharmacy? Should I let them know that I was once a pharmacy student? If yes then do you think it would make me become a better applicant? or would it back-fire me since they might think that I'm indecisive? Please let me know what your opinions are and what my focus should be at this point.

Thank you for all of your time.

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Take the DAT and roll the dice. i think you being a pharm student would help, due to the volume of work involved. Got a 3.5 to boot too.

What made you switch from dental back to pharm?

Reactions: 1 user
I think you need to be VERY clear on why you decided to go to pharm school and then switch in the middle of it. They will know that you were a pharm student since you must submit your transcript.
The question: Why the change?

That is what you must answer for yourself. You are certainly capable since you made it to pharm school but is your heart truly in it?

Members don't see this ad :)
No, they wont think youre indecisive if you have a good reason for not continuing your Pharm education. At this economic climate I wouldnt pursue it either.

Your GPA seems alright. We need to see the DAT scores too. And probably shadow some dentists.

Reactions: 1 users
Much appreciated for the responses guys. I switched to Pharmacy because I wanted to try something new since Pharmacy was my second choice. But at the end, I realized that dental is truly my passion. I should have done more research before jumping into applying into Pharmacy school. Now, I'm still debating whether I should drop out this term or continue on... it's just so hard to think about it...

Last edited:
Think harder.

If dentistry is truly your passion, then there should be no debate.

And look closely at the road you are currently on too.

Where do you currently have residency ?

Why drop plan B before you have plan A secured?

Reactions: 8 users
I admit that I was not too smart on my decision back then. Anyway lets just let the past go and focus on the current. Thanks

Much appreciated for the responses guys. I switched to Pharmacy because I wanted to try something new since Pharmacy was my second choice. But at the end, I realized that dental is truly my passion. I should have done more research before jumping into applying into Pharmacy school. Now, I'm still debating whether I should drop out this term (1st year - 2nd term) or continue on... it's just so hard to think about it...
It's definitely a gamble to drop out of a professional school, especially given marginal undergrad grades, in the hopes of getting into a dental school. Like someone mentioned above, the AADSAS application explicitly asks if you've ever been enrolled in, dropped out of, or currently enrolled in another professional school, so you'll definitely need to divulge that on your application. Adcoms will inevitably ask why you made the switch, and I think you will need a very compelling reason why dentistry and why not pharmacy.

I think it's worth considering the worst case scenario, which would be dropping out and not getting in to dental school this next cycle. Are you prepared to enroll in a masters program or take more undergraduate courses to be admitted if you aren't on your first try? I'm curious about @BabyShades question - which state are you a resident of? If you are one of the unlucky states without a state school, you may be facing private school tuition, on top of whatever pharmacy school (can you get your spring tuition refunded still?) and undergraduate debt you've already accumulated. I don't mean to discourage you from pursuing your passion, but I think it's wise to consider the cost of doing so.

Adcoms will inevitably ask why you made the switch, and I think you will need a very compelling reason why dentistry and why not pharmacy.
I was thinking the same thing. The adcom will wonder, 'how would I know that this applicant won't drop out of our dental school the moment he doesn't like something?'
I would suggest the bulk of ur ps should be about this- written clearly and coherently. Backed up by shadowing and volunteering experiences. Good luck

Last edited:
Thanks for the helpful comments free99 and GinaS2K. I think my best shot right now is to take 1 year defer from the school (I'm not sure if I would get the refund -- I will meet up with my advisor this week) and focus on studying for DAT as well as getting more hours shadowing and volunteering. I will definitely think hard and come up with a compelling answer to why I made the switch. And thanks for bringing up about the PS -- I wonder if I should incorporate that into my PS.

Question.
Are you financially secure at the moment? If not, I think dropping out of pharm school now would make it very hard financially speaking.

Members don't see this ad :)
My student loan is about 50k at the moment (22k coming from the first 2 terms of pharmacy school). I live in OR so OHSU is my top choice.

I see. Hmm. It's a tough decision buddy. I would still recommend taking more time to think about it. Maybe you can talk to a dentist. I'm sure he/she has great advice and will gladly help. :)

Thank you for your time and support DentalLinghorn2014. Wish you luck in your education path.

It's definitely a gamble to drop out of a professional school, especially given marginal undergrad grades, in the hopes of getting into a dental school. Like someone mentioned above, the AADSAS application explicitly asks if you've ever been enrolled in, dropped out of, or currently enrolled in another professional school, so you'll definitely need to divulge that on your application. Adcoms will inevitably ask why you made the switch, and I think you will need a very compelling reason why dentistry and why not pharmacy.

I think it's worth considering the worst case scenario, which would be dropping out and not getting in to dental school this next cycle. Are you prepared to enroll in a masters program or take more undergraduate courses to be admitted if you aren't on your first try? I'm curious about @BabyShades question - which state are you a resident of? If you are one of the unlucky states without a state school, you may be facing private school tuition, on top of whatever pharmacy school (can you get your spring tuition refunded still?) and undergraduate debt you've already accumulated. I don't mean to discourage you from pursuing your passion, but I think it's wise to consider the cost of doing so.

free99, could you tell me more about the Master program? I have no idea what it is and how it helps in my application process. Thank you for your time.

Have you looked into all of the odd, interesting things you can do a with a PharmD? We had two pharmacists come to our pre-health club who weren't even traditional drug store pharmacists. One ran disaster centers for the state, and the other did something with kids, but I don't recall specifics.

free99, could you tell me more about the Master program? I have no idea what it is and how it helps in my application process. Thank you for your time.
Sure. Folks with lower undergrad GPAs (for whatever reason) sometimes choose to enroll in a masters program to make their application more appealing to professional schools. As far as I understand it, the two common methods are either a research based masters program in biology, or a "special masters program" designed specifically for students who want to prove their ability and aptitude to graduate schools. I've always considered the latter to be a high risk, high reward degree, being that the degree is primarily designed to get you into professional school, and not prepare you to enter the work force. I linked to one of doc toothache's threads below that has some data regarding the prevalence of applicants with masters degrees.

http://forums.studentdoctor.net/thr...age-predental-education-of-enrollees.1070379/

Think of pharmacy school as a special MS program.

Decision made. Deferred and focus on studying for DAT. Thank you guys for your help and support.

Hi guys,

I'm currently in pharmacy school in CA and thinking to drop out of this term and focus on studying for the DAT -- hoping to get a good score so that I can apply this year. I'm thinking of switching to dental because I believe that the field will suit me much better. I was a pre-dental student during my freshman year but then switched to pre-pharmacy at my senior year and got into pharmacy school the following year. Now, I realized that the pharmacy profession is not for me and I want to go back.

Here are my stats:
Undergrad GPA
cGPA: 3.33; sGPA: 3.12; BCP: 3.05
200 hours of shadowing at a dental clinic (about 3 years ago)
LOR: 1 from a professor and most likely going to request from the dentist where I shadowed

I know that my stats aren't great and I haven't taken the DAT yet so it's hard to say..

Anyways, what do you guys think of my case? Should I go for my dream profession or just continue on with pharmacy? Should I let them know that I was once a pharmacy student? If yes then do you think it would make me become a better applicant? or would it back-fire me since they might think that I'm indecisive? Please let me know what your opinions are and what my focus should be at this point.

Thank you for all of your time.

Azxken, do you mind pm'ing me and chatting for a bit since your profile is private? I am also a pharmacy student in Philadelphia College of Pharmacy and I'm planning to pursue dentistry. I have the same stats as you and wanted to ask you some questions/bounce some ideas. Much appreciated!