Pharmacy Student in the Philippines and planning to transfer to U.S.

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

espe

10+ Year Member
Reaction score

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
I am not familar with the educational system in Philippines, but from your post I take it that you are an undergraduate student with a degree in Pharmacy. This degree, probably equvialent to a BS, allows you to practice as a pharmacist when you graduate from the university.

I believe the best action for you right now is to send a couple of emails to the pharmacy schools you are interested. Explain your situation, and ask if the courses you are taking count toward prerequisite completion.

As for recommendation for CC, I know couple of cc that can satisfy most prerequisite courses. You can check the sdccd (san diego community college district) and pcc (pasadena community college in LA). Any community college is fine though, you just have to double check with the pharmacy schools to see if they accept its courses. Just send them course syllabus, they should be able to tell you right away.

You dont need to have a BS to apply to pharmacy school, but you need to get the BS before the matriculation. I have been to several pharmacy info days for UCSF, and I know they value experience more than gpa unlike other california schools. Most people I know that got accepted have unique extracurriculum experience with strong leadership ability. Imo, having just a 4.0 gpa and 99% pcat alone would not get you in UCSF.

There are different opinions regarding to whether or not having a BS can increase your chance. Imo, pharmacy schools favor a bit to candidates with BS. This is just base on my observation alone, so take it with a grain of salt.

Last edited:
I am not familar with the educational system in Philippines, but from your post I take it that you are an undergraduate student with a degree in Pharmacy. This degree, probably equvialent to a BS, allows you to practice as a pharmacist when you graduate from the university.

In the Phillapines perhaps. In the US, there are several programs for people who have the BS who want to continue on to be a PharmD.

You dont need to have a BS to apply to pharmacy school, but you need to get the BS before the matriculation.

I believe you are talking about a specific school. While the standard is certainly moving towards requiring a bachelor degree, it is not required at all schools, although most in California do require.

There are different opinions regarding to whether or not having a BS can increase your chance. Imo, pharmacy schools favor a bit to candidates with BS. This is just base on my observation alone, so take it with a grain of salt.

At some schools this may be the case. My mileage varies. ;)

Members don't see this ad :)
ah my apologies, I was thinking of few schools that do not req. BS.

As for the shortcut program in US, I can only think of the common 7 yrs program. Is there program that give you a pharmD in just 4 yr after highschool?

Good Luck and Welcome to the Forum =D

Why don't you try Industrial Pharmacy from UP Manila? Don't they have a five-year Pharmacy program? I know someone who graduated from UP Manila and passed the boards in California. She wasn't a California resident or US Citizen prior to taking the board exam.

Regarding the B.S., some schools require a degree, for example, UC San Diego. I don't know for sure how much UCSF or UOP value a degree so you might as well email the admission counselors. They're pretty nice.

If you want to use credits from foreign universities, you need to have them evaluated. I had mine evaluated by World Education Services because that was what UCSF wanted.

Honestly, I would suggest that you just come over to the US and finish the prerequisites. If you're lucky, you might get into a community college that would credit some of your classes. The community college I went to didn't. I would say community college first because they consider residency status. Since you haven't lived in the US for a year prior to admission, I think they'll consider you out of state and charge you a lot more. If you go straight to university, it will be a lot more expensive.

Yep. I studied in the Philippines for two years (UPLB - ChemEng). So I finished some GenChem, Calculus and Physics but my community college didn't take any of it. I heard some community college credit them so you might want to email the community college you're looking into. If a community college does not credit your classes, you have no choice but to retake classes. Now that I look back, I don't regret taking some of the classes again. Even though the course title are the same, some classes just focus on completely different things. It wasn't really a retake of a class because it felt like I was learning new things again. Anyway, comparing universities and community college, universities are more likely to credit you for your foreign credentials (at least that was my impression).

Applying with foreign credentials is a pain. They always request for transcripts, which is really annoying when you have to mail internationally.

I didn't apply to UCSF directly because I didn't think I could get in. I just studied for two years in a community college, transferred to a university and got my degree. Now, I'm applying to UCSF. I really wish I get in...

It took me four years to finish my degree. I spent two years in community college and two years in a university. If you're looking to just finishing up your pre-pharmacy prerequisites, you should be done in two years.

My parents were nice enough to pay for my school. I was classified as an international student so it was a little bit hard to pay for school. You could apply for grants and loans easier since you're a US Citizen. Hmm.. I knew someone who's been in the US for a while as a permanent resident but she was classified as out-of-state because her parents were not in the US. I don't know if that's going to happen to you. If you're worried about tuition, you should definitely check your would-be residency in the schools you're considering.

Anyway, good luck to both of us (and to everyone trying to get in to pharmacy school)!

My wife last year graduated with a 5-yr PharmD degree in Albania. She started working there immediately as a Pharmacist until she moved here recently. We have already gone through WES to do a course-by-course evaluation. They evaluated all of her 160 credits that she earned in her Pharmacist Program. My question is, now that she is here, would she still need to do one of these 3-year international student programs as the above post suggests? Are there other ways for her to convert her Degree so that she is recognized as a licensed Pharmacist here in the States? We live in Massachusetts by the way in case that info helps.

Any input you guys can suggest would be greatly appreciated.

I think with a 5-year degree, maybe those international programs are not necessary. You should contact the pharmacy board. I think the process is to start taking the licensure exams

currently 3rd year college in the philippines and i wonder if after i graduate my 4 year degree course do i still need to enroll in college or university california for further knowledge and for other units? please reply. im really confuse :confused::confused:

Is being pharmacist there (Canada and US) really worth it? Im licensed pharmacist here in phil and currently taking BS Pharmacy major in Clinical Pharmacy. Would that be enough for me to take FPGEE and NAPLEX? Or there should be a need for me to earn PharmD before i can take those exams and be called pharmacist there.

Or should i stay here in Philippines and practice my profession?

-- Btw Pharmacy practice here is very different especially in community setting. (Sad to say) :/

Your opinions are very much appreciated. Thanks. :)

And I've heard that if Im pharmacist (batch 2013) here and wanted to work in US or Canada, for example. I will just land as a pharm tech?.

^Some schools in the Philippines offer the clinical pharmacy program after graduating the 4-year program.

Hi! Please help me figure things out. So I'm currently a 2nd yr. pharmacy student in the Philippines. I'm studying at University of Sto. Tomas. Since the U.S. does not allow 4-yr. B.S. pharmacy graduate in a foreign country to work as a pharmacist, I'm now planning to transfer immediately to the U.S. and enroll in a community college or university to take the pre-pharmacy requisites. It's actually not a big problem for me to transfer since I'm a U.S. citizen. So right now my problems include choosing between community college or a university to complete my pre-requisites, or should I just finish my degree here and then transfer to the U.S. then complete the pre-pharm requisites and apply to a Pharmacy school which would take me probably 3 yrs. or so. Is it really important to have a B.S. as a qualification? or taking the pre-requisites with a high GPA will suffice to be accepted in a pharm school?, I am planning to apply to UCSF and UOP since I live in California. I know these are competitive school, so does having a B.S. really matter to be able to get in, in these schools? Can you recommend me any University or Community College I can go to near glendale? and what programs should I take to complete the pre-requisites?, Actually since I'm already a 2nd yr. pharma student, I have taken courses such as Gen.Chem, Org. Chem, Bio Chem, PhyAna, Microbio., Biostat, Analytical Chem.,Phar.Chem what if I just take the lacking pre-requisites will that be okay or I really have to study there for 2 yrs. and start from the beginning. Please help me decide thanks!

Hi @espe, knowing that this thread is like really old and all. What did you end up doing with your situation? I'm really curious since I'm almost in the same position that you were in. I'm a US citizen as well, but unlike you I'm a 4th year highschool stuent which is now equivalent to a grade 10 highschool student because of the K-12 program they now recently have here in the Philippines (so I have a lucky/unlucky 2 years added I have more time to decide on where to go to college). So far my goal is going back to the US for pharm school in of course UCSF (go big & try!), but I still can't decide where to go for undergrad to finish my prequisites & get some hands on experience before pharm school. So as experience what did you end up doing? How well did it work out for you? Do you regret your decision?

I'd really like your comments/advice on this seeing as your question is the only thing I've seen so far on here that really relates to me the most. Your advice & others are highly appreciated thank you! :)

Hi @espe, knowing that this thread is like really old and all. What did you end up doing with your situation? I'm really curious since I'm almost in the same position that you were in. I'm a US citizen as well, but unlike you I'm a 4th year highschool stuent which is now equivalent to a grade 10 highschool student because of the K-12 program they now recently have here in the Philippines (so I have a lucky/unlucky 2 years added I have more time to decide on where to go to college). So far my goal is going back to the US for pharm school in of course UCSF (go big & try!), but I still can't decide where to go for undergrad to finish my prequisites & get some hands on experience before pharm school. So as experience what did you end up doing? How well did it work out for you? Do you regret your decision?

I'd really like your comments/advice on this seeing as your question is the only thing I've seen so far on here that really relates to me the most. Your advice & others are highly appreciated thank you! :)
i graduated high school in the philippines as well and went to nursing school for a year before i decided to continue my studies here in the US. my courses were evaluated but not all of them transferred. if i were you i'd move here and do the prerequisites here. its much easier to get into pharmacy school that way. its much safer and lesser hassle.

But after I becope US Rph i plan to take a PharmD course in the US. For me if money is not a problem then I'd rather study in the US. Studying the Philippines saved my parents a lot of money.

if you are planning to get a pharm.d. from US after you BS in pharmacy, you should consider these schools.
Pharmacy Study in the U.S.

If you have already completed a degree in pharmacy at a foreign institution and wish to pursue a Doctor of Pharmacy (Pharm.D.) in the U.S., you may wish to consider post-B.S. of pharmacy degree programs. The following colleges and schools of pharmacy consider foreign pharmacy graduates for admission into a post-B.S. of pharmacy (non-traditional) Pharm.D. degree program. A U.S. or Canadian pharmacy license may be required for admission. For specific admission information about these programs, please contact these colleges and schools directly:

• University of Colorado
  • Nova Southeastern University
  • University of Florida
  • Massachusetts College of Pharmacy and Health Sciences-Boston
  • Howard University
  • Shenandoah University
  • Western University of Health Sciences
http://www.aacp.org/resources/student/pages/foreignstudentsandgraduates.aspx

if you are planning to get a pharm.d. from US after you BS in pharmacy, you should consider these schools.
Pharmacy Study in the U.S.

If you have already completed a degree in pharmacy at a foreign institution and wish to pursue a Doctor of Pharmacy (Pharm.D.) in the U.S., you may wish to consider post-B.S. of pharmacy degree programs. The following colleges and schools of pharmacy consider foreign pharmacy graduates for admission into a post-B.S. of pharmacy (non-traditional) Pharm.D. degree program. A U.S. or Canadian pharmacy license may be required for admission. For specific admission information about these programs, please contact these colleges and schools directly:

• University of Colorado
  • Nova Southeastern University
  • University of Florida
  • Massachusetts College of Pharmacy and Health Sciences-Boston
  • Howard University
  • Shenandoah University
  • Western University of Health Sciences
http://www.aacp.org/resources/student/pages/foreignstudentsandgraduates.aspx

These would grant them the PharmD, yes, though they're probably not necessary for that poster.
If he/she graduated from a 5 year curriculum, he can just go through the equivalency process and practice with his BPharm. Seems like the much cheaper option.

These would grant them the PharmD, yes, though they're probably not necessary for that poster.
If he/she graduated from a 5 year curriculum, he can just go through the equivalency process and practice with his BPharm. Seems like the much cheaper option.

I agree with you. For whatever reason, the poster said he wants to enroll in "pharm.d classes" in the US after, which would defeat the purpose of saving money and studying abroad lol. Perhaps he didn't know how lengthy and expensive that is.

I agree with you. For whatever reason, the poster said he wants to enroll in "pharm.d classes" in the US after, which would defeat the purpose of saving money and studying abroad lol. Perhaps he didn't know how lengthy and expensive that is.

Makes sense.
Had a family friend of mine who got his "MPharm" in UK and is now practicing in USA. Interesting path to consider with all the saturation/debt talk, but the additional time to get through the equivalency process seems daunting.