Pharmacy Supervisor??? More money???

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Toothguy80

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
So I heard from someone that if you become a supervisor at a pharmacy, you can make up to 250K per year, is that true?

How do you make over 200K in this field?

thanks

Members don't see this ad.

I don't believe that is true, although I am not exactly sure what pharmacy supervisor is. I know there is like pharmacy manager and pharmacist in charge(PIC) but they don't make that much more than regular staff pharmacists.

I've only worked for two chains, but from my experience, the store manager/PIC makes a little more than staff pharmacists - maybe $10-20K a year more. The district manager makes more than this, but I don't know how much. I doubt that you could make $200k/year without either working a lot of overtime or owning your own pharmacy.

Members don't see this ad :)
Depending on where you are located, you can figure that retail pharmacists will earn between: $100,000 and $130,000.00 per year based on a 42 hour week and depending on geographic location and responsibilities assumed.

A Pharmacy Supervisor (as opposed to a store manager) earns more, but I don't think (I don't know for sure as I never asked my boss what he earns) they make about 10% more in salary.

There are perks:

• They pick up your cell phone or a portion of it.
  • They pay for your car.
  • You have more flexibility with your time.
There are also downsides:

• You are never off.
  • You are responsible for 20 stores instead of one.
  • You have to deal with 50 whining pharmacists instead of 1 or 2.
I think the biggest upside to being in field management is your bonus structure is much more rewarding than at the store level.

If you want to stay on the bench, you would have to work 70 hours a week to earn $200,000.00 per year...

Reactions: 1 user
Each chain may have a different definition of a pharmacy supervisor. CVS has a staff pharmacist, then a PIC (pharmacist in charge),then a Pharmacy Supervisor, then a District Manager, then a regional manager and finally area vice president. A district manager (Non-RPH) generally does not make more than a pharmacist. A pharmacy supervisor generally is always a pharmacist and they do not make 200k or more per year at CVS. 10% more seems right. Honestly, I do not see any perks to being a pharmacy supervisor. You are salaried, work more than 40 hrs per week, and yes, you must listen to 40 rphs whine and listen to pt complaints. I would rather work 50-55 hrs per week and make more cash, and then go home at the end of the day. Walgreens has a pharmacy manager and then a district pharmacy manager I believe. Salaries and perks are probably the same, but not 200K or more. To reach that level, I would believe you would have to be a regional manager or area vice president.

Depending on where you are located, you can figure that retail pharmacists will earn between: $100,000 and $130,000.00 per year based on a 42 hour week and depending on geographic location and responsibilities assumed.

A Pharmacy Supervisor (as opposed to a store manager) earns more, but I don't think (I don't know for sure as I never asked my boss what he earns) they make about 10% more in salary.

There are perks:

• They pick up your cell phone or a portion of it.
  • They pay for your car.
  • You have more flexibility with your time.
There are also downsides:

• You are never off.
  • You are responsible for 20 stores instead of one.
  • You have to deal with 50 whining pharmacists instead of 1 or 2.
I think the biggest upside to being in field management is your bonus structure is much more rewarding than at the store level.
If you want to stay on the bench, you would have to work 70 hours a week to earn $200,000.00 per year...

What do you think the avg bonus is for field management? CVS Pharmacist bonuses are a joke! Any input?

The biggest downside to being in field management is that you will turn into a total douche bag meeting the bonus structure because you easily forget what it's like to work at the store.

The biggest downside to being in field management is that you will turn into a total douche bag meeting the bonus structure because you easily forget what it's like to work at the store.

Agreed, 100%. Our sup and for that matter, our district office, has forgotten what its like to work at the store. A lot different than being on a conference call all day.

My gf works at CVS in LA area (real LA, not a suburb) and she said her old manager made a lot in bonuses. Something like a cent for every x-amount of scripts filled. And their store is one of the busiest stores in the region.

I wouldn't be surprised if he pulled in $150-170k/yr after salary, bonuses, etc. But he hated it, worked extra hours when floaters called in sick, handled ALL compaints, and now transferred to a new area and works as a regular staff pharmacist.

My gf works at CVS in LA area (real LA, not a suburb) and she said her old manager made a lot in bonuses. Something like a cent for every x-amount of scripts filled. And their store is one of the busiest stores in the region.

I wouldn't be surprised if he pulled in $150-170k/yr after salary, bonuses, etc. But he hated it, worked extra hours when floaters called in sick, handled ALL compaints, and now transferred to a new area and works as a regular staff pharmacist.

and he worked in california, which has a higher starting salary to begin with...

When I was a director of pharmacy, some of my staff made more money than I did because of overtime....even though my base pay was higher.

I usually work between 55 to 60 hrs per week. That works out to be around 40-50k in overtime. My sup puts in 50 hrs per week, but is salaried. Yes, he gets an impala and his phone paid for and some stock. For my lifestyle and and what I want to accomplish, being a sup is not for me. For others it may be suited, but you are normally a sup for 5-6 years before even being considered for promotion. As a PIC I really don't answer to anybody and they leave me alone. From what I have seen, a sup has to answer to the DM who answers to the regional etc. That def is not for me.

If you want to make over 200K a year get into corporate pharmacy. The director I work with makes 150ish plus bonus and he's not here more than 40-45 hrs/week. He does high level operations management for the mail order pharmacy.

Members don't see this ad :)
How do you make over 200K in this field?

1 - sell your body!

2 - don't become an SP...you may make a bit more cash, but you have to deal with ALL the problems, the unhappy phone calls, the middle of the night pages, the staffing problems, shortages, errors....etc etc etc

3 - see #1

I think they make a little more than a Pharmacy Manger in salary. By the time you figure in all the time they spend dealing with problems it comes out less in the end.

Besides no amount of money is worth selling your soul and crossing over to the dark side. I swear once you get promoted to supevisor they take your brain out and put it in a jar at the last pharmacy you worked at.

1 - sell your body!

2 - don't become an SP...you may make a bit more cash, but you have to deal with ALL the problems, the unhappy phone calls, the middle of the night pages, the staffing problems, shortages, errors....etc etc etc

3 - see #1

A gigalo works? :hardy:

Btw, what is the pharmacist in charge? Is that the pharmacy manager if we compare to Walgreens?

A gigalo works? :hardy:

Btw, what is the pharmacist in charge? Is that the pharmacy manager if we compare to Walgreens?

Yes. At Walgreens you have a pharmacy manager (the PIC) for each store and a couple of staff pharmacists at each store who are underneath the pharmacy manager. We have lots of pharmacists at Walgreens because all stores have overlap. The pharmacy supervisor is in charge of a district. There are about 100 pharmacists in my district. There's 6 districts in the Tampa Bay area. There is another layer of management that has 2 districts, so they manage the 2 pharmacy supervisors. They are salaried, so no overtime. I, however, get paid time and a half for overtime. That's currently $75 an hour. But, I prefer to enjoy my days off by the pool.

The district manager has to do with store management, not pharmacy. You can go that route if you want.

So you are a staff pharmacist and on hourly rate???

I thought all pharmacists were salaried. Well, I base it on seeing the check of one of the staff pharmacists when I worked at Walgreens. :D

In order to become a store manager and then go on to district management, you have to go through being an EXA which my first EXA said was crap in the pay vs. the amount of work they do. Plus, as EXA or asst manager, you can be moved around a lot [or not] but still you can end up going very far for your job. I dunno but maybe the college hiring program of walgreens and others takes a different route?

The PIC at our mail order facilty is in charge of all the pharmacists there. If one makes a mistake, it can come back on him so basically he is getting paid more to put his butt on the line.

They make a little more. Question is: Is it worth it? You have to balance the promotion with the responsibilities, thereof. You don't get money for nothing, these days...

I have worked for 2 different district pharmacy managers and they seem to love their jobs. and their bonuses are GREAT!!!!!!!!!!
I mean just the store pharmacy manager can pull in 12-15k extra in bonus. So it just depends on the company that you work for.

If you want to make over 200K a year get into corporate pharmacy. The director I work with makes 150ish plus bonus and he's not here more than 40-45 hrs/week. He does high level operations management for the mail order pharmacy.

What exactly is corporate pharacy? Just trying to get more info on possible job opportunities.

What exactly is corporate pharacy? Just trying to get more info on possible job opportunities.

. Do you mean working for big pharma? Or like in corporate offices of CVC etc.

Yes. At Walgreens you have a pharmacy manager (the PIC) for each store and a couple of staff pharmacists at each store who are underneath the pharmacy manager. We have lots of pharmacists at Walgreens because all stores have overlap. The pharmacy supervisor is in charge of a district. There are about 100 pharmacists in my district. There's 6 districts in the Tampa Bay area. There is another layer of management that has 2 districts, so they manage the 2 pharmacy supervisors. They are salaried, so no overtime. I, however, get paid time and a half for overtime. That's currently $75 an hour. But, I prefer to enjoy my days off by the pool.

The district manager has to do with store management, not pharmacy. You can go that route if you want.

Is there a lot of OT opportunies with walgreens? CVS always has shifts, but it is straight pay.

Is there a lot of OT opportunies with walgreens? CVS always has shifts, but it is straight pay.

There's always some shifts available. They try their best to find a part-timer to fill in, so they don't have to pay the time and a half. You have to look on the computer the day before to make sure that they didn't find someone else.

There's always some shifts available. They try their best to find a part-timer to fill in, so they don't have to pay the time and a half. You have to look on the computer the day before to make sure that they didn't find someone else.

So if you booked a shift you have to look the day before to make sure it wasn't booked by a part timer? and the day before?

Each chain may have a different definition of a pharmacy supervisor. CVS has a staff pharmacist, then a PIC (pharmacist in charge),then a Pharmacy Supervisor, then a District Manager, then a regional manager and finally area vice president. A district manager (Non-RPH) generally does not make more than a pharmacist. A pharmacy supervisor generally is always a pharmacist and they do not make 200k or more per year at CVS. 10% more seems right. Honestly, I do not see any perks to being a pharmacy supervisor. You are salaried, work more than 40 hrs per week, and yes, you must listen to 40 rphs whine and listen to pt complaints. I would rather work 50-55 hrs per week and make more cash, and then go home at the end of the day. Walgreens has a pharmacy manager and then a district pharmacy manager I believe. Salaries and perks are probably the same, but not 200K or more. To reach that level, I would believe you would have to be a regional manager or area vice president.

Yea, I pretty much agree with that.

Ive been asking about becoming a supervisor. I was at a meeting with 3 supervisors, 2 DMs, an RM, and an AVP today.

We had a Q and A session and my question was exactly this...Expectations of a supervisor, and differences in salary.

The answer basically consisted of on average a staff pharmacist who picks up a few extra shifts will bring in more money than a pharmacy supervisor. A supervisor isnt paid for OT, except if he covers a shift on the weekends. Their are perks like someone mentioned including the car, gas, phone, stock, bonus potential etc, but listening to complaints all day and night would really suck. Id rather stay a staff pharmacist and work a couple shifts to pick up money than basically be "on-call" 24/7 fixing problems.

I doubt any supervisor is seeing 200k working for CVS.

I work in procurement for a large health insurance company and we have our own mail order pharmacy. The VP of Operations is a pharmacist. The Director of Operations is a pharmacist. There are a couple of pharmacists who handle contracting with Big Pharma. There are pharmacists who determine the formularies for the health plan

I used to work for a long term care pharmacy provider. The VP of OPs was pharmacist and they also had a pharmacist who determined the formulary. There were quite a few other pharmacists with corporate positions but I am not sure exactly what their job responsibilities were. I know they weren't pushing pills but they were pulling in 6 figures so there are other opportunites out there.

Yea, I pretty much agree with that.

Ive been asking about becoming a supervisor. I was at a meeting with 3 supervisors, 2 DMs, an RM, and an AVP today.

We had a Q and A session and my question was exactly this...Expectations of a supervisor, and differences in salary.

The answer basically consisted of on average a staff pharmacist who picks up a few extra shifts will bring in more money than a pharmacy supervisor. A supervisor isnt paid for OT, except if he covers a shift on the weekends. Their are perks like someone mentioned including the car, gas, phone, stock, bonus potential etc, but listening to complaints all day and night would really suck. Id rather stay a staff pharmacist and work a couple shifts to pick up money than basically be "on-call" 24/7 fixing problems.

I doubt any supervisor is seeing 200k working for CVS.

I dont want to sound like I have no life, but at 60 hrs per week on average (12 hours * 5 day) one can pull in almost $170,000 per year. Now, the way I see it if I am a supervisor, I'll probably be working around 50-52 hrs per week at around $120,000 per year salaried, with a car, phone, a laptop and some stock. Now add on the customer complaints from 12-15 stores, 40 Rphs wanting something and getting the sick calls. No thanks. I will work an extra 8 hours (compared to a sup) and bring in 50k in overtime and go home at the end of the day. Honestly, the money is great, but building a relationship with these patients is priceless!:) Now mind you, I work these 12 hour days, but at a busy store it goes by fast and I also pick up every sunday (a slow easy day)! It is worth it in my eyes!

I dont want to sound like I have no life, but at 60 hrs per week on average (12 hours * 5 day) one can pull in almost $170,000 per year. Now, the way I see it if I am a supervisor, I'll probably be working around 50-52 hrs per week at around $120,000 per year salaried, with a car, phone, a laptop and some stock. Now add on the customer complaints from 12-15 stores, 40 Rphs wanting something and getting the sick calls. No thanks. I will work an extra 8 hours (compared to a sup) and bring in 50k in overtime and go home at the end of the day. Honestly, the money is great, but building a relationship with these patients is priceless!:) Now mind you, I work these 12 hour days, but at a busy store it goes by fast and I also pick up every sunday (a slow easy day)! It is worth it in my eyes!

:thumbup:

Couldnt agree more.

at 60 hour per week...you have no life..:smuggrin:

Are you married? If not, hopefully you work in crack town where you can buy some "love" on the cheap! :laugh:

:D
ahhh, 7a to 7p, its not so bad. I still have time for "other" activities.

Like what? Eating and sleeping. I did it for 3 months when we were short a Pharmacists (5 ten hour days and 9.5 hours on Saturday). It pretty well sucked and I do not ever want to do it again. Great money but so what I would rather have the time off and a life.

Like what? Eating and sleeping. I did it for 3 months when we were short a Pharmacists (5 ten hour days and 9.5 hours on Saturday). It pretty well sucked and I do not ever want to do it again. Great money but so what I would rather have the time off and a life.

ehh, yeah eat, sleep, and .... well anyway, 2 days off a week and off by 7 pm. Have to pay some bills (school and a car) and then I will cut back. I take vacation in 4-5 day long weekends so i dont have to use up all my vac. My partner and I work that out. Anyway, id rather still be a dispensing rph than sell my soul to the darkeside.

ehh, yeah eat, sleep, and .... well anyway, 2 days off a week and off by 7 pm. Have to pay some bills (school and a car) and then I will cut back. I take vacation in 4-5 day long weekends so i dont have to use up all my vac. My partner and I work that out. Anyway, id rather still be a dispensing rph than sell my soul to the darkeside.

I think Zpack would say you're already at the darkside :smuggrin:

Anyone know what the current rate or a rough estimate of pay is? Is this a Mon-Fri job 8-430?

Anyone know what the current rate or a rough estimate of pay is? Is this a Mon-Fri job 8-430?

hahahahahahahahahahahahaha! No pharmacist job is 8-430. Managers of hospital pharmacies can make a lot more than staff, and mostly have regular hours. Managers of chain pharmacies make only slightly more than a regular pharmacist and have crazy hours. Managers of both hospital and chain have to deal with a lot of different issues and have all kinds of meetings and special expected activities that cut into their time off.

hahahahahahahahahahahahaha! No pharmacist job is 8-430. Managers of hospital pharmacies can make a lot more than staff, and mostly have regular hours. Managers of chain pharmacies make only slightly more than a regular pharmacist and have crazy hours. Managers of both hospital and chain have to deal with a lot of different issues and have all kinds of meetings and special expected activities that cut into their time off.
Im talking about Pharmacy supervisor. I've probably only have seen mine 4-5 times in the past year. From what i'm told yes you are on call but it's most 8-430 M-F job. You visit stores and put action in place. This is CVS btw

The base compensation is probably the same as a staff pharmacist but after bonus (which can reach up to 60k+) and profit sharing I figure they walk away with at least 150k-180k.

Seems to me like these positions are revolving doors and are 24/7. If it was just visiting stores it would be great but you also have to give speeches at meetings, deal with hiring/firing, DEA and state board compliance, pressure from your superiors, etc. Fits well for some personalities but I wouldn't like it. The whole job depends on your ability to deal with people.

The base compensation is probably the same as a staff pharmacist but after bonus (which can reach up to 60k+) and profit sharing I figure they walk away with at least 150k-180k.

Seems to me like these positions are revolving doors and are 24/7. If it was just visiting stores it would be great but you also have to give speeches at meetings, deal with hiring/firing, DEA and state board compliance, pressure from your superiors, etc. Fits well for some personalities but I wouldn't like it. The whole job depends on your ability to deal with people.
I heard base is around 150k so i'm guessing after bonus maybe close to 180-200k?
Yeah I agree there is some extra stuff as meetings and making sure your stores are compliant with DEA, but to be able to not here "lane one" and "1 pharmacy call" is pretty tempting lol

I heard base is around 150k so i'm guessing after bonus maybe close to 180-200k?
Yeah I agree there is some extra stuff as meetings and making sure your stores are compliant with DEA, but to be able to not here "lane one" and "1 pharmacy call" is pretty tempting lol

Yeah it very well could be a higher base. The huge lack of job security is what would scare me away, plus I wouldn't want to me the one apologizing to a family when one of my pharmacists accidentally kills someone

emerging leader?

emerging leader?

He sounds like he's managed to become a really good PIC without becoming a brainwashed CVS drone. A rare finding