pharmacy tech dilemma

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

sluggymoon22

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
i am a new pharmacy tech and have been working at walgreens for a few months. due to technician hour cuts i have not been getting much hours (<15) . I've been applying for other pharm tech jobs and got a call/interview from walmart..the pharmacy manger said the position is for 30 hours/wk (and possibly turning into full time if script volume increases, etc). This sounds appealing to me since i get so much more hours. But i feel like i finally got the hang of wags computer system and all my coworkers are so nice and helpful that i feel like im backstabbing them. If i do get the position at walmart, what should i do. Leave wags, start training process again, learn how to use the comp sys...? or just keep hoping that i will get more hours in the future?

Has anyone worked for both companies before and can share the pros and cons? Is walmart's comp system easy to use like walgreens? I know script counts varies in different states but does walmart usually have high script volume? any information will be appreciated!

Members don't see this ad.

i am a new pharmacy tech and have been working at walgreens for a few months. due to technician hour cuts i have not been getting much hours (<15) . I've been applying for other pharm tech jobs and got a call/interview from walmart..the pharmacy manger said the position is for 30 hours/wk (and possibly turning into full time if script volume increases, etc). This sounds appealing to me since i get so much more hours. But i feel like i finally got the hang of wags computer system and all my coworkers are so nice and helpful that i feel like im backstabbing them. If i do get the position at walmart, what should i do. Leave wags, start training process again, learn how to use the comp sys...? or just keep hoping that i will get more hours in the future?

Has anyone worked for both companies before and can share the pros and cons? Is walmart's comp system easy to use like walgreens? I know script counts varies in different states but does walmart usually have high script volume? any information will be appreciated!

I would move to WM to get the hours. If that WG were so nice to you, they would give you the hours already. And now you will know both systems, WG and WM, so you will have more options in the future as a tech imho.

Reactions: 1 user
Before you move to Walmart, have you talked to the pharmacist at Walgreens to see if you could pick up hours at all?

Though I am sure the people are nice, it is hard to justify staying at a job with minimal hours when you really need the income and experience. Like oldstock said above me: Walmart would be a great opportunity to diversify your background as a technician. I can't really comment on the computer system as I have not worked there.

I don't work at either, but I have heard Walmart's system is really easy to use (we had a tech that use to work at Wal-mart at they complained about our system all the time). You should go where you will get experience. If they are only letting you work 15 hours (or less), I wouldn't say it would be a 'surprise' if you chose to leave. Your coworkers should understand that you have to do what's best for you. If you really want to stay at Wags, you could try to get hours at another store to supplement.

Reactions: 1 users