Pharmacy to Medicine

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Ambrosia89

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
-- Edited for privacy --

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
You took an acceptance into pharmacy school and then applied to med school?
I have nothing definite to contribute, but I'm not really sure they're gonna be happy with that at all. Ballsy move, but i doubt they'll take any explanation for it

Drugsarefun has had experience with this. PM him/her.

Members don't see this ad :)
Hi guys, this message is for pharmacy students switching into medicine.

I wanted to know why some pharmacy students are switching to medicine. What are the differences between the 2 professions. When the ADCOM asks "why medicine and why are you switching out of pharmacy", what do you reply?

BTW, I'm a first yr pharmacy student with a medicine interview this year. I'm sure this question will be asked..the reason I chose pharmacy was because things with med didn't work out last year. I obviously can't say that in the interview...what would you say?

Thanks a lot!

I just did this. They'll certainly ask you about the switch in every interview. No I won't give you my answer, but I can tell you I was brutally honest with my reasons for the switch. You better think of a better reason than using pharmacy as a backup because that makes you look dishonest. Also, if you don't know the differences in the 2 professions how can you tell them why you want to be a doctor?

I too completed one year of pharmacy school and then applied to med school. I have had a few interviews, with a few more upcoming in the next few weeks.

I haven't really been asked why I'm making the switch, because I did a good job explaining my motivations in my personal essay. When/if the topic comes up in my future interviews, I plan on being very honest. While I always wanted to be a physician, when the time came to apply to schools, I was really not in a position to attend med school (family issues). I applied to pharm school because I thought I would be satisfied with this "lesser" profession, and when I realized that wasn't the case, that I would only be truly happy if I went through with my dream and applied to med school, I went ahead and took the mcats.

Honesty is the best policy, but the key is to present it in a positive way.

Good luck!

wow..you guys definitely took the longer route...

I wouldn't call pharmacy a "lesser" profession. "Lesser" than what? Less amount of time in school? Less long hours put in at work? With all due respect, I don't see how one profession is "better" than another. Maybe medicine is better for you, just like pharmacy is better for me. Could I have gone to med school? Pharmacy is my true passion.

Hey, you'll be thanking us (future) pharmacists when you're a resident and an attending. Remember that we are in this together as a team. We each have our specialized knowledge. Don't forget that we've got your back. Remember that when you think pharmacists are "lesser" than you....

Last edited:
I wouldn't call pharmacy a "lesser" profession. "Lesser" than what? Less amount of time in school? Less long hours put in at work? With all due respect, I don't see how one profession is "better" than another. Maybe medicine is better for you, just like pharmacy is better for me. Could I have gone to med school? Yeah. I had the experience, grades, and damn good LORs from my work at Mayo Clinic, but pharmacy is my true passion.

Hey, you'll be thanking us (future) pharmacists when you're a resident and an attending. Remember that we are in this together as a team. We each have our specialized knowledge. Don't forget that we've got your back. Remember that when you think pharmacists are "lesser" than you....

I think he meant lesser prestige in view of society, because hours wise i put almost as much time as the med students at my University. Well obviously I don't have to study for my boards yet like they do but class wise i put just as much time as they do. It could be a subjective opinion if not then.

I wanted to know why some pharmacy students are switching to medicine. What are the differences between the 2 professions. When the ADCOM asks "why medicine and why are you switching out of pharmacy", what do you reply?

BTW, I'm a first yr pharmacy student with a medicine interview this year. I'm sure this question will be asked..the reason I chose pharmacy was because things with med didn't work out last year. I obviously can't say that in the interview...what would you say?

Thanks a lot!

I got my PharmD. in 2010. Worked retail since then. I just got 3 acceptances and 5 wait lists. I haven't decided where to go yet. PM if you have any questions about my transition. It isn't as rare as you think. I personally know 5 people who've done it.

(Also you should really find out the differences between the professions. That a n00b question. And you need to be honest in your reasons for switching. I was and it worked. If you are ashamed of your reasons, then you shouldn't be applying.)

Just like accepting an offer into medical school, accepting the offer for pharmacy school is a very big commitment you have to make to the profession, meaning you are very serious about pursuing pharmacy. Now you are saying you want to switch out from pharmacy just after one year. To me, this is BS. If you are serious about pursuing medicine, why did you apply for pharmacy at the first place? Frankly, no excuses should be accepted for your switch. Admission committee probably will consider that you have commitment issues, unless you finish your PharmD, then get an MD degree. I am in Pharmacy School, but not PharmD program, and have consulted quite a few advisors on this topic. All of them responded with big NO on temporarily enrolling in PharmD program and then switching to MD.

Premed advisors are the last group of people you wanna talk to about anything related to medical school admission. LOL Plus, why should he spend thousands of dollars to complete the PharmD when he has already decided that medical school is what he wants? It makes absolutely no sense. You need to get a new advisor. I have a friend who quit after completing the first semester of pharmacy school. He applied to medical schools the following year and got in. It wasn't an issue at all.

The thing is he/she should not go into pharmacy at all, if he/she wants to pursue medicine. For what I know, pharmacy school takes those who do not necessarily have the most stellar academic record, but have tons of working related experience in pharmacy and determined that this is the right career for them. Plus, he/she is using PharmD as a backup because of the unsuccessful experience of applying for medical school. It brings about lots of questions about his/her commitment to a profession. Just my opinion. Btw, I don't have premed advisor, only pharmacy advisors who serve on the admissions committee.

Last edited:
What was your main reason in deciding. Have you worked at a pharmacy before??? Why are you pursuing medicine now?

You will have to convince them why you have a change in heart in making this commitment to medicine and why you're not going to drop out after 1 year like you are about to do with pharmacy.

Members don't see this ad :)

Thanks a lot!

I would be honest. Say you applied to pharmacy school because you were rejected from medical schools in the past and that medicine is your passion. You thought that going to pharmacy school could be a substitute for medical school. But when you were there, you found out that it was not what you expected. You now realize that instead of dealing only in drugs, you want to provide the whole spectrum of care for patients: from prevention, to counseling, and of course drugs.

Spin your decision to pharmacy school not as a backup but because it was the only outlet available in your view to pursue medicine. And you are just trying to stay on course with your goals by applying to medical school.

P.S. I am not a pharmacy student that switched to medicine.

Reactions: 1 user
You now realize that instead of dealing only in drugs, you want to provide the whole spectrum of care for patients: from prevention, to counseling, and of course drugs.

What makes you think pharmacists don't do counseling, or prevention?

Three difference between a doctor and pharmacist is that doctors diagnose, something a pharmacist can't do. rph may learn about a lot of common conditions and recommend an otc product but it always comes with the disclaimer to see doc if it doesn't improve in X days.

Also, rph is on a lower rung than MD. You see stupid script from doctor, but you can't do anything about it cause you're just an rph. You get lectures on how to deal with docs, to not make them feel like they made an error and you are correcting them.

I decided to finish the PharmD program because I was so close anyway. I went into pharmacy school with the full intention of being a pharmacist. My change of heart came way late..5th year. Also the clinical rotations were great experiences that made me like medicine even more. My goal was to be in med school in two years after my PharmD. I worked full time, to pay off student loans and finance the MCAT and applications and travel for interviews.

This was my time line:

Bachelor's in Pharmacy May 2008 - Age 21
Doctor of Pharmacy May 2010 - Age 23
June 2010 - Licensed Pharmacist
July 2010 - Took and EMT Class (too boost my medical experience)
August 2010 -Present*******WORKING FULL TIME - Age 24
January 2011 - April 2011 - Studied for MCAT and took MCAT
June 2011 - Finished Primary application
July 2011 - Finished Secondary applications
(still working full time)
September 2011 - 1st med school interview - Age 25
October 17th 2011 - 1st Med School Acceptance (and rejection)
October 2011-Dec 2011 - More interviews and acceptances (and rejections)
October 2011 - Present - Working full time until June 2012, then starting school in the summer.

In 2 year after getting a PharmD I am in med school with no undergraduate debt @ age 25.
Avg age of matriculation in med school 24/25 ---> i'm right on target.

It can be done. Plus, I know six people from my school alone who have done this also.

Hi guys,
I am also finding myself in this situation. I am a pharmacy student in my first year. I love pharmacy but I've been feeling the call to medicine. I just want that more clinical/direct patient care and so after thinking about it for a couple of months I've decided I am going to make the switch.

I'm just wondering what you guys think my chances are. My undergrad GPA was only around 3.2 but everything else was up there (killed the pcat). But how do you think I'll stand now applying for med school? I feel like I should look more qualified than I would have before because I will apply as a non-traditional applicant and will have completed my whole first year of pharmacy (which as of now is going great). Do you think that will make up for my lower undergrad GPA?

And my other big question is about fulfilling letters of recommendation. I don't even know how to approach this because most med schools require letters from professors (as you all know), but I can't imagine starting to ask my pharm professors to write them for me (just because I'm switching) and plus if I'm not accepted I will just stay in school. So any advice? Being a non-traditional applicant do you think there is a way around this?

Last edited:
LazerMD,

I'm curious what you did (letters of rec)? and how it all worked out for you?

Thanks a lot!

I also once considered pharmacy. However, I realized that I didn't want to work at Walgreens or CVS. As long as you are honest at the interview, I think you will be fine. :cool:

What makes you think pharmacists don't do counseling, or prevention?

Three difference between a doctor and pharmacist is that doctors diagnose, something a pharmacist can't do. rph may learn about a lot of common conditions and recommend an otc product but it always comes with the disclaimer to see doc if it doesn't improve in X days.

Also, rph is on a lower rung than MD. You see stupid script from doctor, but you can't do anything about it cause you're just an rph. You get lectures on how to deal with docs, to not make them feel like they made an error and you are correcting them.

just out of curiosity, how do you define a "stupid script"?

if it is something as simple as drug interactions that isn't always the doc's fault and its a major reason why pharm is something more than bean counting. I'm also curious if a pharmacists training is sufficient to comment on the physiological side of the treatment of illnesses.

Exactly, how many more years would one have to attend Med School after acquiring a Pharm.D??

I believe some of the classes in med school would be similar to the ones taught in pharm school. This could save some time off those years!

I am not aware of any medical school that will accept transfer credits other than from other medical schools (and this is usually for transfer between lecture and clinical years). while there may be some overlap in subject matter, pharmacy school does not hit these subjects from the same point of view as medical school. i really doubt anyone doing this route will get to shorten their med schooling

I currently work with several pharmacists and you don't have to be a drug "expert" to do what they do all day. I would literally pull my hair out if I had to do that for the rest of my life. Therefore, I can see why some pharm students would want to make the switch. I think they are way overpaid for what they do. I have a friend who has a graduate degree in applied computational mathematics and she has a really complex job but does not make any where near what a pharmacist does. It is mind boggling that they get paid six figures just to check, initial and release drugs. :eek:

I currently work with several pharmacists and you don't have to be a drug "expert" to do what they do all day. I would literally pull my hair out if I had to do that for the rest of my life. Therefore, I can see why some pharm students would want to make the switch. I think they are way overpaid for what they do. I have a friend who has a graduate degree in applied computational mathematics and she has a really complex job but does not make any where near what a pharmacist does. It is mind boggling that they get paid six figures just to check, initial and release drugs. :eek:

is 6 figures normal for a CVS pharmacist?

wow... just googled it.

IMO that seems high. although my view is tainted somewhat. I used to date someone who schmoozed her way into pharm school and she may be clinically ******ed... I don't have high opinions of abilities if she is representative of what it takes to get into pharm school

wow... just googled it.

IMO that seems high. although my view is tainted somewhat. I used to date someone who schmoozed her way into pharm school and she may be clinically ******ed... I don't have high opinions of abilities if she is representative of what it takes to get into pharm school

Retail pharmacists make the highest salary. I work as a consultant (contractor) with pharmacists who supervise techs, who are compounding drugs in an aseptic (clean room) environment. They make $50+/hr to check, initial and release drugs on the computer.

this is why i raise an eyebrow when i hear things like the previously posted "doc writes an idiotic script".

my first impulse is "who the F are you to correct it?"... ive overheard the pharm students studying in our common area at my school.....

*puts on hipster glasses* I was balancing chem equations before it was considered doctorate material

this is why i raise an eyebrow when i hear things like the previously posted "doc writes an idiotic script".

my first impulse is "who the F are you to correct it?"... ive overheard the pharm students studying in our common area at my school.....

*puts on hipster glasses* I was balancing chem equations before it was considered doctorate material

I love asking them science and clinical questions. Only to watch them scramble. :laugh:

Hi guys,
I am also finding myself in this situation. I am a pharmacy student in my first year. I love pharmacy but I’ve been feeling the call to medicine. I just want that more clinical/direct patient care and so after thinking about it for a couple of months I’ve decided I am going to make the switch.

I’m just wondering what you guys think my chances are. My undergrad GPA was only around 3.2 but everything else was up there (killed the pcat). But how do you think I’ll stand now applying for med school? I feel like I should look more qualified than I would have before because I will apply as a non-traditional applicant and will have completed my whole first year of pharmacy (which as of now is going great). Do you think that will make up for my lower undergrad GPA?

And my other big question is about fulfilling letters of recommendation. I don’t even know how to approach this because most med schools require letters from professors (as you all know), but I can’t imagine starting to ask my pharm professors to write them for me (just because I’m switching) and plus if I’m not accepted I will just stay in school. So any advice? Being a non-traditional applicant do you think there is a way around this?

This guy just bumped the thread asking for help. Let's not reply the thread OP since it is old.

Hi guys,
I am also finding myself in this situation. I am a pharmacy student in my first year. I love pharmacy but I’ve been feeling the call to medicine. I just want that more clinical/direct patient care and so after thinking about it for a couple of months I’ve decided I am going to make the switch.

I’m just wondering what you guys think my chances are. My undergrad GPA was only around 3.2 but everything else was up there (killed the pcat). But how do you think I’ll stand now applying for med school? I feel like I should look more qualified than I would have before because I will apply as a non-traditional applicant and will have completed my whole first year of pharmacy (which as of now is going great). Do you think that will make up for my lower undergrad GPA?

And my other big question is about fulfilling letters of recommendation. I don’t even know how to approach this because most med schools require letters from professors (as you all know), but I can’t imagine starting to ask my pharm professors to write them for me (just because I’m switching) and plus if I’m not accepted I will just stay in school. So any advice? Being a non-traditional applicant do you think there is a way around this?

Did the switch after P2. PCAT doesn't really reflect well on to what the MCAT will be like. 3.2 GPA is not impressive for MD admissions, so depending on how you did in pharm you may be slightly better or worse off than before. You'll have to fulfill all the requirements for the medical schools (including a bachelor's if you don't already have one). Letters of recommendation will have to come from your undergrad and pharm school most likely. If you have a faculty advisor ask him/her. It won't be the best rec, but it will be one. There's no way around the requirements other than sleeping with the dean of admissions as far as I know.

Completing 1 year of pharm school isn't going to have all the schools drooling over you. Most pharm classes won't even count in Math/Science GPA. It will make you slightly different, but all you've really completed is a year of basic science and some intro to pharmacy stuff. Sorry to break it to you.

As to those of you criticizing practicing pharmacists. They do a tough job. They reconcile all the drugs a pt may be on that the prescribers don't know about and determine the appropriate course of action. Docs do make drug mistakes, and the RPh is tasked with catching those before they reach the patient. Then they check and release.

Did the switch after P2. PCAT doesn't really reflect well on to what the MCAT will be like. 3.2 GPA is not impressive for MD admissions, so depending on how you did in pharm you may be slightly better or worse off than before. You'll have to fulfill all the requirements for the medical schools (including a bachelor's if you don't already have one). Letters of recommendation will have to come from your undergrad and pharm school most likely. If you have a faculty advisor ask him/her. It won't be the best rec, but it will be one. There's no way around the requirements other than sleeping with the dean of admissions as far as I know.

Completing 1 year of pharm school isn't going to have all the schools drooling over you. Most pharm classes won't even count in Math/Science GPA. It will make you slightly different, but all you've really completed is a year of basic science and some intro to pharmacy stuff. Sorry to break it to you.

As to those of you criticizing practicing pharmacists. They do a tough job. They reconcile all the drugs a pt may be on that the prescribers don't know about and determine the appropriate course of action. Docs do make drug mistakes, and the RPh is tasked with catching those before they reach the patient. Then they check and release.

Hey thanks for the response, just the stuff I'm looking for. Ya I figured ill have to take the dreaded MCAT, I'm guessing I'll just take it this summer. So what was your timeline like? When you say you made the switch after p2, does that mean you started applying after p1(my current situation) and were accepted after p2 ( starting med what would have been your p3)?

And as far as getting letters of rec, that's not a bad idea to ask faculty advisor. Is this what you did? And if you don't mind me asking how did your professors and other faculty handle your decision? Were they supportive? And did you get them to write you any letters of rec?
I just don't want to burn any bridges if you know what I mean. Because if I'm not accepted I'll stay in pharm school and keep applying.

Thanks for your response by the way, very helpful

You need to start studying for the MCAT now if you plan on taking it this summer. I didn't worry about burning bridges because I had stats that led me to believe I'd be accepted somewhere so I wouldn't be returning to the school, but I was still polite to everyone. You should really get that MCAT score before deciding to ask for letters. If you get everything together and don't do well, you'll have to start over again next year. Applied the cycle that began my P1/P2 summer and started med school when I should be a P3.

As far as offending people, I explained my decision in a completely open manner (even to the dean) and they understood. As long as you don't get up in the middle of class, pull down your pants, and moon everyone while proclaiming pharmacy sucks, you won't offend anyone. I got most of my recs from undergrad profs I knew better, as well.

You will be asked in every interview why you want to switch. You better have a damn good answer or you'll look like a fool. No I won't give you my answer to that question.

PCAT doesn't really reflect well on to what the MCAT will be like.

Second this, I "killed" the PCAT and then managed an above average score on the MCAT, but there was no slaying going on. Totally different beast. Kick the good PCAT score out of your head b/c it really doesn't mean anything and could only give you false confidence on the MCAT.

Second this, I "killed" the PCAT and then managed an above average score on the MCAT, but there was no slaying going on. Totally different beast. Kick the good PCAT score out of your head b/c it really doesn't mean anything and could only give you false confidence on the MCAT.

Ya, good advice. I know the PCAT is nothing like the MCAT, but i should just probably forget about it all together.

You need to start studying for the MCAT now if you plan on taking it this summer. I didn't worry about burning bridges because I had stats that led me to believe I'd be accepted somewhere so I wouldn't be returning to the school, but I was still polite to everyone. You should really get that MCAT score before deciding to ask for letters. If you get everything together and don't do well, you'll have to start over again next year. Applied the cycle that began my P1/P2 summer and started med school when I should be a P3.

As far as offending people, I explained my decision in a completely open manner (even to the dean) and they understood. As long as you don't get up in the middle of class, pull down your pants, and moon everyone while proclaiming pharmacy sucks, you won't offend anyone. I got most of my recs from undergrad profs I knew better, as well.

You will be asked in every interview why you want to switch. You better have a damn good answer or you'll look like a fool. No I won't give you my answer to that question.

Also good advise. Ill definitely take the MCAT before I start stiring things up (so to speak). And hopefully they will be understanding of my decision, as long as I can hold back that urge to moon. But thanks for the advice, it helps alot, especially from someone who has gone through it.

I hate to bring up this thread again but I had a question concerning this discussion. So I thought rather than starting a new one I would just ask here, because I’m guessing you’ll have at least somewhat of an answer for me.

I’ve really been thinking about the whole GPA issue and I realize that my 3.2 is very low. My question is since I don’t have an undergrad degree (don’t laugh, around 120 hours toward BioChem), when I apply though AMCAS will it count my pharm classes toward my cGPA and sGPA? Or would this not be the case because the classes themselves are not considered undergrad classes? Any idea?

And regardless if they count or not, I’m hoping ADCOMs look at a year of great performance on a professional degree…at least somewhat. I’m busting my butt and it is far more difficult than my undergrad so you would think they would somewhat take that into consideration?

But what do you think on both topics? Will it help either way?

Thanks for the replies. And again, I'm sorry for bring this one back for another round.

I’ve really been thinking about the whole GPA issue and I realize that my 3.2 is very low. My question is since I don’t have an undergrad degree (don’t laugh, around 120 hours toward BioChem), when I apply though AMCAS will it count my pharm classes toward my cGPA and sGPA? Or would this not be the case because the classes themselves are not considered undergrad classes? Any idea?

Pharmacy classes do not count for sGPA but they will count for cGPA. However there are some pharmacy classes that can be 'argued' to be science. For example some would say that pharmacology should be considered a science class. Also during my third year of pharmacy school (in a six year program - so it would be your first year) I took pathophysiology and biochemistry, which would both count towards sGPA. But classes such as Pharmacy Practice and Pharmacy Management definitely do not count towards science.

Pharmacy classes do not count for sGPA but they will count for cGPA. However there are some pharmacy classes that can be 'argued' to be science. For example some would say that pharmacology should be considered a science class. Also during my third year of pharmacy school (in a six year program - so it would be your first year) I took pathophysiology and biochemistry, which would both count towards sGPA. But classes such as Pharmacy Practice and Pharmacy Management definitely do not count towards science.

Ya, I know not all class but like the ones you listed or others (biopharmaceutics, pharmacokinetics...). So even though they are professional level classes, they will still count toward by AMCAS overall GPA's? Because that would be great, especially since things are going so well.

Ya, I know not all class but like the ones you listed or others (biopharmaceutics, pharmacokinetics...). So even though they are professional level classes, they will still count toward by AMCAS overall GPA's? Because that would be great, especially since things are going so well.

Yes they will. It also depends on how your program is structured. If the professional level classes count towards your bachelor's degree, they will count in the undergrad GPA calculation. If they count toward the PharmD, it will count toward grad GPA. AMCAS also will break down BCPM into undergrad and grad BCPM. There are a few professional classes that counted toward my science GPAs. I forget all of them exactly, but it included anatomy and medicinal chemistry and maybe a few more. Pharmacology and pharmacokinetics did not count toward science GPA on my application.

AMCAS isn't entirely clear about pharmacy specifically.
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------
If you have enrolled in a professional degree program (Nursing, Pharmacy, Veterinary Medicine, etc.) leading to a Bachelor’s degree:
FR, SO, JR, and SR statuses should be assigned.

If you have enrolled in a professional degree program (Law, Medicine, Dentistry, Veterinary Science, etc.) leading to a doctorate degree prior to receiving a bachelor’s degree: Refer to your transcript or contact the school to confirm course level. In many cases, GR status may be assigned to professional-level course work leading to a doctorate degree, even if an undergraduate degree has not been earned.
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Pharmacy should probably be grouped in with the "professional degree program leading to a doctorate", but is specifically mentioned in "professional degree program leading to a Bachelor's degree"

I'm guessing they still haven't updated their instructions since the B.S.-->PharmD change. The way they word it leaves a little flexibility and it's ultimately up to you in how these classes are classified as far as graduate/undergraduate.

AMCAS isn't entirely clear about pharmacy specifically.
If you have enrolled in a professional degree program (Nursing, Pharmacy, Veterinary Medicine, etc.) leading to a Bachelor’s degree:
FR, SO, JR, and SR statuses should be assigned.

If you have enrolled in a professional degree program (Law, Medicine, Dentistry, Veterinary Science, etc.) leading to a doctorate degree prior to receiving a bachelor’s degree: Refer to your transcript or contact the school to confirm course level. In many cases, GR status may be assigned to professional-level course work leading to a doctorate degree, even if an undergraduate degree has not been earned.
Pharmacy should probably be grouped in with the "professional degree program leading to a doctorate", but is specifically mentioned in "professional degree program leading to a Bachelor's degree"

I'm guessing they still haven't updated their instructions since the B.S.-->PharmD change. The way they word it leaves a little flexibility and it's ultimately up to you in how these classes are classified as far as graduate/undergraduate.

I'm really scared about this and am going to call or something to verify. I'm also in a 0-6 year, with NO BACHELORS and this is a huge problem as I only took 3 semesters of chemistry and 1 of biology, so I have 3 things against me. I'm not really sure what to do here besides split up the first 3 years as undergrad, and rest as graduate.

I'm really scared about this and am going to call or something to verify. I'm also in a 0-6 year, with NO BACHELORS and this is a huge problem as I only took 3 semesters of chemistry and 1 of biology, so I have 3 things against me. I'm not really sure what to do here besides split up the first 3 years as undergrad, and rest as graduate.

I wrote them and received no further clarification. I ended up doing first 2 years as undergrad and the rest as graduate. I think you could also legitimately split it up as 4+2.

Moral of the story. It really is up to you in how to split these up based on your interpretation of the aforementioned paragraphs. AMCAS has no official further clarification for 0-6 pharmacy students that I was able to attain.

That sounds reasonable; can we talk over PM? I'm still concerned about the course "deficiency" and other things.

I don’t have an undergrad degree

This may bar you from acceptance in to most medical schools if not all of them. 1 year of pharm school != a degree. Do some research because without a degree, your options are severely limited.

I would think most of your first year classes (i.e. basic science) can get added in to your science GPA, but there is the graduate separation. Keep in mind that your undergrad work is what is most likely compared to other applicants since it is constant for all applicants.

Do you have your Pharm.D. or will you by the time you enroll? If you don't have a degree, you'll be limited/excluded from many med schools. How are you applying without all your pre-reqs? It's going to be a waste of time if you don't have those completed.

From what you've posted, you're not going to even get looked at by any med schools without the 2 semesters of bio, and 4 of chem (2 gen, 2 orgo) or a degree (you cannot get in to med school without a bachelor's like you could for pharm school). Hopefully I am interpreting what you've posted as wrong, but if I'm right, save your time and money and apply after you've completed the necessary requirements to even be considered.

eagles22, that's the growing trend among pharmacy schools. A majority of us don't have bachelor's degrees. We go straight from HS -> PharmD. It's frustrating as hell to think that medical schools reject us because we don't have a bachelor's.

I will have my PharmD by the time I would matriculate to med school. The thing is, I took a semester of "medicinal chemistry" and my advisor said our A&P2 counts as Bio2. As long as they let me take courses before matriculation and they specify which courses I will take them in the summer while studying for my board exams if necessary. Have you heard of this?

eagles22, that's the growing trend among pharmacy schools. A majority of us don't have bachelor's degrees. We go straight from HS -> PharmD. It's frustrating as hell to think that medical schools reject us because we don't have a bachelor's.

I will have my PharmD by the time I would matriculate to med school. The thing is, I took a semester of "medicinal chemistry" and my advisor said our A&P2 counts as Bio2. As long as they let me take courses before matriculation and they specify which courses I will take them in the summer while studying for my board exams if necessary. Have you heard of this?

Just to clarify, I have done the pharm --> med switch. I would contact med schools to make sure they'll accept those classes. Med chem is a different beast than orgo although there is some overlap. I would also contact just to make sure they'll take the pharm.d. in place of a bachelor's. I couldn't imagine they'd say no, but a professional degree is different than an academic degree. It's always better to be 100% certain than to guess and lose an application cycle. Good luck in making the transition and on applying. It's completely worth it.

Just out of curiousity, have you taken physics yet?