PharmD considering Medical School

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Bocephus

7+ Year Member
Reaction score

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Patient volunteering?

Non-clinical volunteering?

Good reason for bailing on Pharmacy?

Are you running from Pharmacy or to Medicine?????

I'm going be graduating within the next few weeks from pharmacy school and was considering pursuing medical school. At the moment i was looking for guidance to see if applying in then next cycle (2017) would be reasonable.

Regarding my pharmacy school structure, it was 2 years pre-pharmacy, followed by 4 years of pharmacy school. I took most of the med school prerequisites, excluding Physics 1 & 2. I had a different physics requirement at my school. I was also classified as an undergraduate for my first 5 years of school. I won't receive a BS degree. I will only receive a PharmD.

I'll graduate with a 3.7+ cumulative GPA over the last 6 years which is in the top 15% of my class. My first 2 years science GPA is a 3.73; however, depending on what pharmacy school classes count (biochemistry, human phys/path) and how I'd do in physics it could be up to around a 3.8.

I held officer positions in various pharmacy organizations and have done other volunteer work including health fairs. There's more too, but I wasn't sure how far back I could list activities. I also worked for 4 years at a hosptial pharmacy throughout school. Additinally, I have done clinical research and likely will have one of my poster presentations published before I apply. I haven't done any research in the laboratory.

I have not taken the MCAT so I was going to have to prepare for it. Also, my shadowing experience is on the lower end so I planned to get a minimum of 50 hours over the next year, but would try for closer to 100 hours if possible.

Would applying next cycle be reasonable? Also are there some other things that I may have overlooked, excluding being able to explain why the career change? Also I know it's hard to say where I could apply without an MCAT, but otherwise how competitive of an applicant would I be?

I'm going be graduating within the next few weeks from pharmacy school and was considering pursuing medical school. At the moment i was looking for guidance to see if applying in then next cycle (2017) would be reasonable.

Regarding my pharmacy school structure, it was 2 years pre-pharmacy, followed by 4 years of pharmacy school. I took most of the med school prerequisites, excluding Physics 1 & 2. I had a different physics requirement at my school. I was also classified as an undergraduate for my first 5 years of school. I won't receive a BS degree. I will only receive a PharmD.

I'll graduate with a 3.7+ cumulative GPA over the last 6 years which is in the top 15% of my class. My first 2 years science GPA is a 3.73; however, depending on what pharmacy school classes count (biochemistry, human phys/path) and how I'd do in physics it could be up to around a 3.8.

I held officer positions in various pharmacy organizations and have done other volunteer work including health fairs. There's more too, but I wasn't sure how far back I could list activities. I also worked for 4 years at a hosptial pharmacy throughout school. Additinally, I have done clinical research and likely will have one of my poster presentations published before I apply. I haven't done any research in the laboratory.

I have not taken the MCAT so I was going to have to prepare for it. Also, my shadowing experience is on the lower end so I planned to get a minimum of 50 hours over the next year, but would try for closer to 100 hours if possible.

Would applying next cycle be reasonable? Also are there some other things that I may have overlooked, excluding being able to explain why the career change? Also I know it's hard to say where I could apply without an MCAT, but otherwise how competitive of an applicant would I be?

I'm a pharmd who will be matriculating to an allopathic school this fall. Feel free to PM with questions

FWIW the pharmacist is the smartest person on multidisciplinary rounds. Saves lives and money on a daily basis. Hammer the MCAT and you are fine. Know a handful of PharmDs that went MD/DO. Just meet the pre-req's and be conversational and you got it.

Bigger issue is to talk to pharmDs that did this route and are practicing. See if the regret it and if the sacrifice was worth it. PharmDs in my neck of the woods make a pretty penny for bankers hours.