PharmD/MD Career

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

123med321

Membership Revoked
Removed
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi,
I am going to a school which allows you to complete pharmd in 6 years without bachelor's degree (or PCAT test). My also want to get my MD. Are there any careers (or specialties within medicine) which having a PharmD and MD would be beneficial? How does the admissions process work to medical school if I don't have a bachelor's degree? Do you know of anyone who has gone this route? When should I take the MCAT? Is the extra two years worth it to complete pharmd and md?

Thanks

Members don't see this ad.

Hi,
I am going to a school which allows you to complete pharmd in 6 years without bachelor's degree (or PCAT test). My also want to get my MD. Are there any careers (or specialties within medicine) which having a PharmD and MD would be beneficial? How does the admissions process work to medical school if I don't have a bachelor's degree? Do you know of anyone who has gone this route? When should I take the MCAT? Is the extra two years worth it to complete pharmd and md?

Thanks

Ask J DUB.

Members don't see this ad :)
Hi,
I am going to a school which allows you to complete pharmd in 6 years without bachelor's degree (or PCAT test). My also want to get my MD. Are there any careers (or specialties within medicine) which having a PharmD and MD would be beneficial?

Thanks

Honestly, two extra years for a pharmD will be of marginal benefit to you as a physician. Cases where I can think of it having some use would be: specialties where you have heavily medicated patients (Infectious disease, heme/onc ect) or doing research related to pharmacy. In either case I don't think it'd be worth the two extra years though.

How does the admissions process work to medical school if I don't have a bachelor's degree?
You are describing a fairly novel case for admissions so I can't give you a 100% answer. But I imagine they would overlook your lack of a bachelors degree if you have a doctorate.

Do you know of anyone who has gone this route? When should I take the MCAT?

A few people have done it, it's pretty uncommon though. Hopefully one of them will see this thread.

Ideally you should take your MCAT by June of the year you will be applying. Med schools start accepting applications in early June and interviews start in September at most schools.

To my knowledge most med schools require bachelors degree to apply.
Now I'm really curious about your logic behind doing both pharmd and md. Why?

A lot of people appear to make the transition from pharmacy to medicine. I don't think in that instance you need the bachelor's. For a young 18 year old going into a straight six year Pharm.D. program it's probably a pretty good idea. It may not help your physician practice out directly, but then why would it need to? The knowledge you have will help you regardless, but there isn't necessarily a role specifically for the pharm/physician. Academic positions come to mind like perhaps teaching pharmacology to med students or some pathophysiology (name varying depending on program) type of course to pharm students.

Hi,

Thanks

Not really. Why not try MD/PhD instead.

I don't understand why you would go for PharmD/MD. They are for two different professions. You can't do the roles of Pharmacist and MD in a hospital or retail setting. There are rules that specifically delineate what each profession does.
I'm guessing the people who finish Pharmacy and then go for MD are doing it to be a Doctor, not some Pharmacist/Medical doctor hybrid.
If that's your dream, go for it. But to my mind if you want to be a Medical Doctor with a deeper understanding of drugs go for MD/Phd.

Hey, if you want that alphabet soup after your name, why not? The PharmDs/MDs I've heard of say the combo is helpful and view it as a positive thing. At the very least, you'll be an MD with the best handwriting.

Hi,

Thanks

It is possible to get both PharmD and Md, But.......question is what you really want to do with it.....they are two seperate lines.....but can intermingle at a particular point. you need a great dedication and commitment to achieve both PharmD and Md. I know that almost all Med schools require at least a bachelors degree and you have to pass MCAT.
I am not sure if after completing your PharmD, med schools can waive your requirements like Bachellors degree or even MCAT....if i were you I will ask this question to an admissions councellor of a Med School......:D

Hi,

Thanks

think completing a residency with a specialization and you really will be like a Physician.....without an MD though:D

Last edited:
Hi,

Thanks

Back when they had the old B. Pharm I heard of people doing this, but if you're going to do MD anyways, just go MD. Your PharmD will get you nothing as an MD except delay your schooling 2 years.

for medical school you have to have a BA or BS to be accepted regardless of how many masters or doctorate degrees you have! BA or BS is required!

for medical school you have to have a BA or BS to be accepted regardless of how many masters or doctorate degrees you have! BA or BS is required!

nope, incorrect

+1.

Med schools have a de facto BS/BA requirement. Technically speaking many only have a 90 credit requirement. Which is why I think they'd let an advanced degree holder in without a bachelors.

Yup, veyep is confusing de facto and de jure requirements. The requirements were made such to allow for extraordinary/unusual circumstances (in this case, having a PharmD absent a BS and applying to MD school counts as such).

Wouldn't that be more than 2 extra years?

He said he is in an 0+6 program for pharm d, so that's 6 years. Then 4 years of school for MD + residency right?

Also I'm thinking you don't need a bachelors if you have a doctorate :rolleyes:

Wouldn't that be more than 2 extra years?

He said he is in an 0+6 program for pharm d, so that's 6 years. Then 4 years of school for MD + residency right?

Also I'm thinking you don't need a bachelors if you have a doctorate :rolleyes:

They are comparing the PharmD then MD route, versus an undergrad then MD route. The PharmD the OP is looking at is 6 years, undergrad typically takes 4 years. Thus 2 extra years.

It might help you out if you become an endocrinologist MD. But doing both degrees is probably more work than it's worth.