PharmD/MD Careers?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

123med321

Membership Revoked
Removed
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi,
I am going to a school which allows you to complete pharmd in 6 years without bachelor's degree (or PCAT test). My also want to get my MD. Are there any careers (or specialties within medicine) which having a PharmD and MD would be beneficial? How does the admissions process work to medical school if I don't have a bachelor's degree? Do you know of anyone who has gone this route? When should I take the MCAT? Is the extra two years worth it to complete pharmd and md?

Thanks

Members don't see this ad.

That's pretty pointless if you know you want to be a doctor. Though I have heard that pharmacists are amazing on rotations.

When you talking about careers for a given level of training, this really translates into "what can I get paid for (I don't make the rules, this is how it is)?" While PharmD knowledge would be helpful to practicing physicians, you will be hard-pressed to find a clinical job/role that will compensate you for both physician and pharmacist services. There are probably pharmaceutical companies out there that would love to get their hands on a MD/PharmD, but probably not a lot of patient contact.

Even for a specialty like toxicology (a board certified fellowship) where intimate knowledge of all medications is necessary, a toxicologist who is a MD/PharmD is no more or less qualified than one who is only a MD (residencies and fellowships are the great equalizers). So even in this example, the pharmD experience may make the training easier, but in the end you will still be in the same place as the MD/non-PharmD.

I don't think that not having a BS or BA will hurt you because you will have earned an advanced degree and demonstrated your academic abilities. However, you will most definitely get the question, "why do you want to switch from pharmacy to medicine?" My only advice is to have a good answer for this question (this is common for anyone who is entering medicine with previous healthcare training outside of medicine).

-admissions committee interviewer / senior medical student

P.S. There is a SDN member that posts frequently who is a PharmD and has been accepted to medical school (I cannot remember their name, but this fact is stated in their signature). If you can find them, they should be able to provide specifics about their experience.

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
P.S. There is a SDN member that post frequently who is a PharmD and has been accepted to medical school (I cannot remember their name, but this fact is stated in their signature). If you can find them, they should be able to provide specifics about their experience.

I think s/he is talking about J DUB. If not, ask J DUB.

If you want to be a doctor go to medical school

If you want to be a pharmacist then go to pharmacy school

There are completely different fields.