PharmD or MD

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

lyyuan

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
This question is for any students or practitioners with more exposure to the field than I have ;) –

I do not yet hold either degree and would like to find out what sort of specializations are available. If any one has suggestions for where to find this sort of info I would love to know . . .
What careers are available that blend pharmacy and anesthesiology? I can’t decide if I want to complete med school or go with the PharmD. I don’t think I am able to complete both (time and cost issues). Is there a specialization that allows you to work in the hospital/OR environment that involves both pharmacy and anesthesiology? If so, which education is necessary?

Thanks so much for any thoughts!

Members don't see this ad.

This question is for any students or practitioners with more exposure to the field than I have ;) –

I do not yet hold either degree and would like to find out what sort of specializations are available. If any one has suggestions for where to find this sort of info I would love to know . . .
What careers are available that blend pharmacy and anesthesiology? I can’t decide if I want to complete med school or go with the PharmD. I don’t think I am able to complete both (time and cost issues). Is there a specialization that allows you to work in the hospital/OR environment that involves both pharmacy and anesthesiology? If so, which education is necessary?

Thanks so much for any thoughts!

If you want to do do anesthesiology in the OR then you better go MD. There will probably never be pharmacists in the OR (at least in the near future).
Why cant you do both degrees? Six year pharmd then directly to MD. THat means you goto med school at 24 which is the average age of entry.
However, this is a big risk since transition of professions is always more difficult.
The only "blend" of anesthesiology and pharmacy is kind of indirect in my opinion. Many anesthesiologists can do fellowships in critical care and become ICU docs. As you must know critical care pharmacists have proven their worth inthe ICU.

Thanks so much for the reply :) I appreciate it, thing is that I'm already 25 ;) completed a dual BS in Bio and Physics with a chem minor and couldn't decide what to do for that past couple of years . . . in the process of interviewing for pharmacy and contemplating just skipping it and going to Med school . . .

So you haven't heard of anyone working as a pharmacist in the ER or OR? I have a friend going through training for radiology tech and he said one of the hopsitals he's been interning at has several - course he's not exactly sure what they do - he has minimal contact with them as a student.

Maybe if I get to pharmacy I'll just work on applying to med school during the first year and see where it goes . . . I hate that the rotations are the last year and there is little exposure in the begining to the range of possible specialities . . . going to research more :)

Thanks again!

Members don't see this ad :)
I don't think that there are many pharmacists working alongside anesthesiologists but I know that it will be a field where the involvement of a pharmacist will surely increase. The field of pharmacy is rapidly spreading into every direction of medicine. We don't just work in retail anymore. Wherever you see medication use you can bet that a pharmacist has an opportunity to offer their expertise. The thing with anasthesiology is that it just hasn't jump started yet.

Try reading this article, Hope it helps

http://www.anesthesiologynews.com/index.asp?section_id=21&show=dept&issue_id=222&article_id=6303

You sound like me a few years back. I went back and forth between medicine and pharmacy. I have a biochem degree, and I knew I had the credentials to go to med school, but I really loved the science and biochemistry of medicine better than the thought of actually practicing it (if that makes sense). On rotations, whenever I hear an attending ask a resident if they did a rectal, I feel like I made the right choice to go into pharmacy.:D
Now that I am about to graduate, I am glad that I don't have years of medical residency ahead of me. I can still work with doctors, but go home after my shift and enjoy the rest of my life instead of working 80 hours a week. There are so many opportunities now for pharmacists to specialize, or teach, or become whatever type of practitioner you want to be.
Just my two cents :)

Reactions: 1 user
I am in PharmD now because I wanted the drug knowledge and back up for MD in case I could not get in. Plus, I need the part time money during med school! I too would like to combine the two and be an anesthesiologist.

Plus, the PharmD will let you know if you can handle MD. It is like triple A. Hard but not as hard as med. Btw, I am 27 so I am not a youngster.

Some people make thing you are nuts but I love to learn and enjoy the challenge. You only get one shot at life. You might as well do what you want. I would just be bored working every day unless it is challenging.
I already did that for 4 years.

Costs of both can be managed. I got a Masters in Business while I was working my way through science prereqs. Try to stay in-state. As long as you do not throw money away, you should be able to pay the loans off pretty easy. I figure I would be around 300K down after my BA, Masters, PharmD, and MD.

At my hospital, we have an OR pharmacist that works strictly there with a tech. I am not sure what she does because I have never worked in that section, but there is something in the OR as a pharmacist. There probably is some minimal anesthesiology contact.

I am in PharmD now because I wanted the drug knowledge and back up for MD in case I could not get in. Plus, I need the part time money during med school! I too would like to combine the two and be an anesthesiologist.

Plus, the PharmD will let you know if you can handle MD. It is like triple A. Hard but not as hard as med. Btw, I am 27 so I am not a youngster.

Some people make thing you are nuts but I love to learn and enjoy the challenge. You only get one shot at life. You might as well do what you want. I would just be bored working every day unless it is challenging.

Costs of both can be managed. I got a Masters in Business while I was working my way through science prereqs. Try to stay in-state. As long as you do not throw money away, you should be able to pay the loans off pretty easy. I figure I would be around 300K down after my BA, Masters, PharmD, and MD.

At my hospital, we have an OR pharmacist that works strictly there with a tech. I am not sure what she does because I have never worked in that section, but there is something in the OR as a pharmacist. There probably is some minimal anesthesiology contact.

I have never seen a pharmacist in the OR. The anesthesiologists keep and store the medications. I guess you can call them the pharmacists of the OR. Whenever a surgeon has a question on dosing they go right to the anesthesiologist. To the OP i think if what you really want to do is related to anesthesiology, you will find being a clinical pharmacist disappointing.
Also, i would suggest you do not goto pharm school for 1 year only to apply to med school. It will look bad. Trust me I've been through the pharmd--> MD transition.

My hospital has an OR pharmacy running during the times most surgery occurs, so it's like 5:30-6 M-F and limited hours on Saturday. They mostly check the kits that go into the ORs, hand them to anesthesia residents, make IVs prn, and answer questions...but being anaesthesia, you won't really be telling them about what's a better sedative etc. We have like 40 something ORs, so I imagine most hospitals won't be like this. We also have an ED pharmacist. But that's besides the point.

However, the bottom line is that (at least currently) if you want to be a pharmacist, you *can* work in the OR, but you will not be going into ORs making critical med decisions the whole time, if at all. Your sole purpose is to dispense drugs and know about them, you'll work with anaesthesia but not right next to them as they're playing with a laryngoscope. If you want to be the one pushing the propofol or intubating or doing anything patient-related, go with anaesthesia.

Thanks so much for all your replies! I appreciate all the info/opinions . . .

J DUB:
Then are you currently finishing your PharmD? or did you switch to MD? or doing both at once? Might I ask where you're going to school? and was it as difficult to switch as others are saying? Thanks!

OHMAN0125:
How exactly did the transition go for you? Why did you change? If I get into a PharmD program I'm afraid if I turn them down and end up not going to med school I might not get in again . . . at least if I go for the first year I have that option open to me if I don't get into med - does that make sense?

Also, i would suggest you do not goto pharm school for 1 year only to apply to med school. It will look bad. Trust me I've been through the pharmd--> MD transition.

This is true. I just started med school this fall after 4 years of practicing pharmacy. I took a lot of crap from my interviewers about this. They don't get it. Or maybe I don't get it. Whatever. Point is, pick Pharm.D or MD. Don't go into it planning to do both. It won't help you get into med school.

Thanks so much for all your replies! I appreciate all the info/opinions . . .

J DUB:
Then are you currently finishing your PharmD? or did you switch to MD? or doing both at once? Might I ask where you're going to school? and was it as difficult to switch as others are saying? Thanks!

OHMAN0125:
How exactly did the transition go for you? Why did you change? If I get into a PharmD program I'm afraid if I turn them down and end up not going to med school I might not get in again . . . at least if I go for the first year I have that option open to me if I don't get into med - does that make sense?

Still PharmD. Talked to med school, said ok as long as I did well and do well on MCAT. No big deal from them, more of why, just come now? Just be prepared for the interview. I go to Univ of SC. We do not have a combined program or anything. I got accepted to PharmD before I took the spring MCAT last year. It was going to be my backup but I got the MD/PharmD in my head and the more I liked it. Therefore, since the MCAT was going paperless to CBT, I decided to wait and take the MCAT this summer after some toughing up in Pharm school. It definitely has helped my critical thinking and ability to pile lots of info into my head. I used to read manuals and edit them on the computer for a job, so I am very used to reading and comprehending on screen. The hardest part for me before was the length of the MCAT along with Physics. I just got tired and my scores reflected it. I am almost certain I can go higher on the CBT.

I did not delay PharmD school because I feel that I am 50/50 candidate for med school. It all depends on the MCAT score. I have never been a good standardized testtaker, but we take alot of MC tests in pharmacy school and it is helping. So, I figured while I try to get a high MCAT score I can work on my PharmD not to waste time. I already wasted one year before studying and waiting. I did not take the real deal MCAT because my practice scores were not where I wanted them. It may work out, it may not. At least, I can have a nice career either way.

This is true. I just started med school this fall after 4 years of practicing pharmacy. I took a lot of crap from my interviewers about this. They don't get it. Or maybe I don't get it. Whatever. Point is, pick Pharm.D or MD. Don't go into it planning to do both. It won't help you get into med school.

You are certainly right. Having the PharmD will not help you and you will have to explain yourself. I did this to the admissions and told them my plans and they said ok, take the MCAT and we shall go from there. I am sure when I apply to med school and interview it will be a favorite topic. Good thing I learned corporate interviewing skills in my Masters!

They seemed to understand that I am a 50/50 shot based on my practice MCAT scores previously and did not object to me doing the PharmD to secure myself. Like they told me everyone does not get in!

I just could not give up the PharmD acceptance with a coin flip for getting to MD. I like to roll the dice, but not with my own future. I rather be safe and lose a some money potential. My point is that you are on point.

It is not a good road to travel to get into med school. But, I think it can be done with some good explanations.

To me, I think the combo would be great. Diagnosis the patient medically, then prescribe the meds based on being a drug expert.

I have never seen a pharmacist in the OR. The anesthesiologists keep and store the medications. I guess you can call them the pharmacists of the OR. Whenever a surgeon has a question on dosing they go right to the anesthesiologist. To the OP i think if what you really want to do is related to anesthesiology, you will find being a clinical pharmacist disappointing.

I'm a pharmacist who works in the OR - what do you want to know?

Members don't see this ad :)

What do u actually do? Are you in the room while they are operating? That seems like a waste of hospital money. Why do you need a pharmacist when there's an anesthesiologist in there?

Well, I guess I'd like to know exactly what you get to do - what are your responsiblities and experiences? How did you end up in that position/specialization? What kind of education did you get to follow the PharmD . . . basically . . . I want to know everything :D but you can start there and I'll ask other questions (if you don't mind of course).

I've just been interested in a pharmacy career in the ER/OR environment but haven't been able to find anyone that knows about the possibilites out there.

Thanks so much!!

Go MD, unless you want to be bored out of your mind sitting around behind a counter counting pills for the rest of your life. Beside, MDs are respected way more, you actually are helping people, unlike pharmacy, and the money is not bad ( way more then pharmacy on average).

Go MD, unless you want to be bored out of your mind sitting around behind a counter counting pills for the rest of your life. Beside, MDs are respected way more, you actually are helping people, unlike pharmacy, and the money is not bad ( way more then pharmacy on average).

What an a$$. Haha:laugh:

You can call me what you like, nothing I said is untrue. There is no competition between an MD or Pharmacy. Enough said!

You can call me what you like, nothing I said is untrue. There is no competition between an MD or Pharmacy. Enough said!

And what do u do as a profession? That you can speak so boldly on MDs and PharmDs.

was about to ignore u, but my ego told me not to...so here i am with a reply.
so what are you? MD or Pharm.D? huh? or just some student trying (really really hard after 2-3 yrs) to get into nursing school? EVen if u're an MD, i don't give a **** when u have such attitude. I do respect MDs as much as I respect the janitor who cleans up the pharmacy in the hospital because without the janitor, we have a load of shi*** in the toilet. So heck, he's cooler too with the Spanish accent and working hard with a smiley face on. And this is even funnier, some clueless MD last time wrote this: "Rocephin per pharmacy". WTF? No offense to the good MDs there...

One time at one of the hospital that i rounded at, this MD didn't listen to the PharmD to DC (discontinue) Lovenox (4 attemps made and kept being ignored and the PharmD was smart enough to document everything) . Patient ended up bleeding badly and died in Code Blue for excessive bleeding....That MD got into trouble with the admin. Don't know what happened after since i was about to leave for another rotation. Ridiculous!

I would tend to disagree. I went to med school for 2 years but eventually decided to focus on a pharmD and pharmacy school is significantly more difficult in terms of coursework and content. In addtion, pharmacists are among the most respected professions in the country according to the polls. I specifically made the switch because the quality of life of a pharmacist is significantly higher than that of an MD and I decided that was what was more important to me. I have a great deal of personal experience in regards to the QOL issue with 3 doctors in the family and your job is essentially your life.

Thanks so much for the reply :) I appreciate it, thing is that I'm already 25 ;) completed a dual BS in Bio and Physics with a chem minor and couldn't decide what to do for that past couple of years . . . in the process of interviewing for pharmacy and contemplating just skipping it and going to Med school . . .

So you haven't heard of anyone working as a pharmacist in the ER or OR? I have a friend going through training for radiology tech and he said one of the hopsitals he's been interning at has several - course he's not exactly sure what they do - he has minimal contact with them as a student.

Maybe if I get to pharmacy I'll just work on applying to med school during the first year and see where it goes . . . I hate that the rotations are the last year and there is little exposure in the begining to the range of possible specialities . . . going to research more :)

Thanks again!

You already have a hell of a backup with degrees in both life and physical science.

If I were you I would decide on one path and pursue it 100%.

Applying to one profession is expensive and time-consuming as it is.

Reactions: 1 user
I have a Masters in Pharmacy now i have the option to choose either continue to PharmD or MD ??? i liked working in a small community Pharmacy, but the work is repetitive and i never used the Pharmacology i learnt. Hospital Pharmacy is basically protocols and e-mails. Clinical Pharamcy still a developing area with little growth only the TOP pharmacits become clinical Pharmacists.

Clinical Pharamcy still a developing area with little growth only the TOP pharmacits become clinical Pharmacists.
We got a live one here! Hah, some people certainly like to think they are a "top pharmacist" when they get a clinical job, but most of us live on planet Earth. I know plenty of dumb pharmacists who got their clinical job because of who they knew. The docs and the rest of the pharmacy roll their eyes at their asinine recommendations. ICU docs will often call a staff pharmacist that they trust and respect over someone with more credentials than sense.

Also you probably won't get anymore answers from bumping this 9 year old thread than you will the one you made yourself. This is a pretty small forum, just stick to that one thread.

Clinical Pharamcy still a developing area with little growth only the TOP pharmacits become clinical Pharmacists.

and the naterobinson award for drinking the most kool aid goes to....

Reactions: 1 users

You only get one life..

So why waste it working?

If I could do it all over I would go MD.
We got a live one here! Hah, some people certainly like to think they are a "top pharmacist" when they get a clinical job, but most of us live on planet Earth. I know plenty of dumb pharmacists who got their clinical job because of who they knew. The docs and the rest of the pharmacy roll their eyes at their asinine recommendations. ICU docs will often call a staff pharmacist that they trust and respect over someone with more credentials than sense.

Perfect explanation. I'm sorry but one year of residency, aka an additional year of p4 rotations, does not equate to even come close to 3 years of staffing. Its BS. Let alone a new resident trying to recommend over a staff pharmacist thats been there for 30 years.

I work 40hrs a week and make as much as a pediatrician, I don't take any work home, I don't get paged for anything, I'm not on call for anything.

Best of all: I don't have to touch anybody.

Yeah I'd do it again.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile app

Wtf this thread is 9 years old?? Who bumped this ****?

Reactions: 4 users
I think the primary advantage of going to medical school over pharmacy school is if the person is planning on going to medical school with the goal of going into an extremely high-paying specialty like orthopedic surgery or radiology or even pain medicine. In that case, the additional 4-8 years of training (I.e., residency/fellowship) are easily justified by the $400k-$500k minimum earning potential of doctors who practice in specialties such as those.

I think the primary advantage of going to medical school over pharmacy school is if the person is planning on going to medical school with the goal of going into an extremely high-paying specialty like orthopedic surgery or radiology or even pain medicine. In that case, the additional 4-8 years of training (I.e., residency/fellowship) are easily justified by the $400k-$500k minimum earning potential of doctors who practice in specialties such as those.

I'd make a horrible surgeon. I can't even label an insulin vial straight, I would trust myself to set sheets on a mattress, much less someone's hip.

I'd make a horrible surgeon. I can't even label an insulin vial straight, I would trust myself to set sheets on a mattress, much less someone's hip.

your last two posts match me to a T - I bring home 140k and work 40 hours a week, not a minute more. And ya, I label the worst of anyone I know. hell, I tried wood working and couldn't nail two boards together straight

Reactions: 1 users
your last two posts match me to a T - I bring home 140k and work 40 hours a week, not a minute more. And ya, I label the worst of anyone I know. hell, I tried wood working and couldn't nail two boards together straight

I've had my share of ikea disasters, put it that way :cries in a corner: