pharmD/PhD

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

CMVpromoter

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
How common are these programs?

How does tuition work? Is the PhD funded?

What kind of research do the graduates end up doing?

How much money do most graduates end up making?

Members don't see this ad.

How common are these programs?

How does tuition work? Is the PhD funded?

What kind of research do the graduates end up doing?

How much money do most graduates end up making?

I'll bump this just because I haven't really heard anything about the income after you earn the Ph.D. I would assume it is more than just the pharm.D alone.

Members don't see this ad :)
Honestly, your best bet would be to contact someone at a school you're interested in. I'm not sure you're going to find too many people in this forum that have completed that program.

These dual-degree programs are more common than you would think.

Most large public universities (USC, UCSF, UCSF, UT, UK, UM, etc.) have these programs because they usually have funding for both a developed pharmacy and research department.

Acceptance various depending on the academic institution... some will allow you to apply directly to both programs initially, others will require you to wait 1-2 years through pharmacy school to apply for graduate school.

Tuition also various depending on the school. For example, some will give you a full ride for all 6-7 years on the premise that you will complete the PhD program. This style is similar to many MD/PhD programs in which you'll have all tuition paid for the MD (along with a living stipend thanks to the PhD program, which is around 25-35K a year depending on the living expenses in your area).

PhD programs will always be funded: the first two years of graduate school are paid for thanks to the NIH training grant (if you're a US citizen). After you select a lab to join that also accepts you, the laboratory will then pick up your tab and pay your tuition and living expenses from their research funds. Some labs might be multi-million-dollar-a-year labs (thanks to their many grants), others might only have 1 or two grants. The poorer or smaller labs will generally want you to make your money by doing extra TA'ing or by applying for your own fellowships (which you should always be doing anyways since it looks great on your resume).

Research that graduates do can be limitless. What ever your heart desires, there will be a lab studying it!

From this forum, it seems that PharmD's make near the 6 figure mark off the bat (depending where you live). A PhD will garner ~65-85K starting depending on the size of the company you join and it's location, which can easily increase to around 200K if you become a senior research scientist tier III (kinda like powering-up). However, do not think a dual-degree will naturally have an additive effect on salary.

Best of luck to you!

I also wanted to mention that PharmD/PhD programs are competitive! There are usually only a handful of spots (since a University normally only has X-amount of funding available for more grad. students).

Typical PharmD or MD programs might have ~120-150 spots, whereas MD/PhD or PharmD/PhD programs might only have ~10 spots or less.

Keep those fingers crossed! Good luck.