PharmD / Psychology Master Possible?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

SportsLover21

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hiya Folks,

- Quick Question. Since many pharmacy schools offer dual programs (PharmD/M.B.A/MPH etc.), is it possible to dual enroll but choose a masters in a different discipline? I know some schools are very specific in what masters program they offer but I assumed since you'll be apart of 2 schools, it won't matter?

Thoughts?

Members don't see this ad.

Most of the pharmacy schools with a dual master's degree program I've seen have some sort of arrangement with the school offering the master's. For example, you would finish your third year then go earn the master's before coming back to finish the fourth. Otherwise they would work it in with the normal curriculum somehow.
I would think once you're accepted you would look into trying to get a psychology master's, and it might have to be after your PharmD or with a less-than-ideal arrangement. Another thing to consider is your financial aid for the program and how the qualification/amounts might change.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
ye, they have an arrangement for joint degrees where the other degree's courses would fulfill the pharmacy upper elective requirement

PharmD + Master in Psy = what for ????

How about preparing yourself for a residency ?? Thats more produxtive imho :)

PharmD + Master in Psy = what for ????

How about preparing yourself for a residency ?? Thats more produxtive imho :)

I was kind of thinking this as well. The closest field I can think of utilizing both unless you just want the education of the master's is being a psychiatric clinical pharmacist. All you really need is a residency for that.

Reactions: 1 users
I was kind of thinking this as well. The closest field I can think of utilizing both unless you just want the education of the master's is being a psychiatric clinical pharmacist. All you really need is a residency for that.

To be honest, I think the OP doesnt know what he even wants and/or what he is really talking about :) lol

Reactions: 1 users
To make a long story short, I'm actually a psychology major intending to obtain my bachelors before pharmcy school. Did I mention I'm also a biology major too? ^_^ Lets just say I spent the better half of the my teenage years behind textbooks …. 3 years at my univ. without a single semester off .. yeah that means spring and summer too...

I love both disciplines. When combined, it's complete harmony. I personally would have no intention of using the psychology degree… it's more or less a continuation of my intrinsic curiosity. If allowed the privilege to pursue both simultaneously, I will take the opportunity in a heartbeat. I'm all about higher education as it leads to a more complete understanding of the world.