PharmD w/ exp. applying to MD. What are my chances please?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

trx283

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi all,

First let me take the time to thank you for reading this.

I am a non traditional student, graduated from PharmD school in 2008 and have worked a variety of clinical and retail pharmacy positions. I have completed my additional prerequisites for med school while working as pharmacy manager.

MCAT in 2010 and scored a 28. (8VR, 11PS, 9B)
cGPA is 3.75 (including pharm graduate courses)
AMCAS sGPA is 3.85

Questions please:

1) what do you think my chances of getting into a US school would be, what about the Carribeans?
2) what do you think my list of schools should be, I live in Texas?

Thanks for your time, any input is much appreciated.

Members don't see this ad.

Members don't see this ad :)
Hi all,

I am a non traditional student, graduated from PharmD school in 2008 and have worked a variety of clinical and retail pharmacy positions. I have completed my additional prerequisites for med school while working as pharmacy manager.

AMCAS sGPA is 3.85

Questions please:

1) what do you think my chances of getting into a US school would be, what about the Carribeans?

Your MCAT is invalid now (too old), so when you retake it, that will have an enormous impact on your chances!

Edit: Beaten to it. :(

Reactions: 1 user
Echoing the posters above me, you're going to have to re-take the MCAT. I have absolutely no idea how the new MCAT is going to be scored, but if you can get a 30+ equivalent you'll be in good shape for most mid tier medical schools. If you're not averse to going DO, I'd say getting anything over a 25 would be sufficient. Stay far away from anything in the Carribbean.

As a former pharmacist myself, you're going to have to sell your story as to why you're leaving a decently paying pharmacist manager job for a spot in medical school. Make sure to shadow some doctors so it doesn't seem like you're blindly jumping from one profession to another. Switching from pharmacy to medicine has been the best decision of my life and although it might be a long and arduous road, it is most certainly worth it. Feel free to PM me if you have any specific questions. Good luck.

Retake MCAT and you are in good shape for Texas schools! They have their own application so it is in your best interest to apply early May and to all of them. With such a strong GPA, a solid MCAT and your experience I think you have a great shot of ending up at a Texas school! There are 10 medical schools in the state right now so best of luck!

You need to retake the MCAT and grad courses are not a part of your cGPA. They may be part of your sGPA, though. Keep in mind that pharmacy/pharmacology is an allied health science and does not count as BCPM, but physiology and biochemistry DO count as BCPM.

Good luck!

I expect that you will do well on MCAT considering your pharmacy background. Do not attend Caribbean medical schools and you should apply to all Texas schools. Whether you should apply OOS will depend on your MCAT.

Hi all,

AMCAS sGPA is 3.85

Questions please:

Remain in pharmacy before you go to a Caribbean school