PhD Applicants-2015

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Hi All!

I applied for my PhD in public health, specifically within departments of social/behavioral health with a focus in tobacco.

My degrees are from the University of Florida -- Go Gators!
M.S 4+1 program in Family, Youth and Community Sciences with specialization in nonprofits/ngos (thesis)
MPH certificate in Social and Behavioral Sciences
B.S in Family, Youth and Community Sciences with Minor in Anthropology

Related Experience:
1 month international health internship experience in Guatemala
2 years working at local health department and local Tobacco Free organization - Thesis came out of my research here
1 year AmeriCorps working at local npo - little research experience here, but lots of program management experience
1 year teaching and research assistantship - taught over 100 students in two 3,000 level undergraduate courses, did research and evaluation for 4-H grant (Presented this research at national conference)
3 years international health work experience in Lima Peru working for major INGO and local npo - did research for both organizations, currently manage and lead small nonprofit in Peru.
No published work unfortunately, but several presentations at APHA, another at a smaller conference and several presentations here in Peru.

GRE: 84% verbal, 52% quan. 93% writing -- I know my quan score is low, but all the schools say minimum is 50% - whew!

I applied to the following (in order of preference based on faculty/program)

1) Emory
2) UNC
3) University of Maryland - I have an interview tomorrow at 4pm! So nervous/excited!
4) Johns Hopkins
5) University of South Carolina
6) Brown - Denied today, 2/11/2015
7) Tulane
8) NYU - Denied in late January... boo.
9) UGA

I don't have any answers from the other schools yet, so I'm hoping that's a good thing... longer wait hopefully means acceptance??? Prior to my applications I contacted every school, including all faculty members who I want to work with. I had faculty interviews with 6/9 schools with 12 different people (Brown and Hopkins did not wish to skype beforehand - said they only do interviews after applications. NYU never answered... ).

Good luck everyone and I'm praying my interview goes well! Would love to go to MD or any of my other top schools =)

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user
Looks like things are picking up this week. Grad cafe has a few acceptance posts today from UMich, UMN, UNC, and Hopkins.

Members don't see this ad :)
That's a good sign.

Anybody getting letters or phone calls from programs? It looks like this year it's almost all via email and websites.

Would anyone here consider attending a program without guaranteed funding?

Would anyone here consider attending a program without guaranteed funding?

It depends on a lot of factors.

Financially, how can you pay for it? Savings? Loans? A rich uncle? Side jobs? If you have to go loans, will you be able to efficiently clear out 50k - 100k worth of debt with the job you get post-graduation? If you pick up side jobs (TA, industry, etc), will you be able to work/earn enough and save time for classes/research/studying?

Does the school offer something you absolutely can't pass up on? Fast track into a dream job? A one-of-a-kind faculty match?

Basically, there are a lot of question marks that are unique to each individual and each program. Make sure you look deeply into fellowships, RA/TA jobs, scholarships, etc, etc, etc. If you get accepted, ask your department for help in this realm. If they accept you, they clearly want you, so they will (or should) at minimum help you game plan this to some degree,

Thank you both for your opinions on this. I don't have a masters so I planned to pay for that anyway. I didn't get assigned a permanent advisor at Pitt (they told me I would get one after I put down the deposit). I worry I wouldn't be working with someone that has similar interests, plus lack of any funding lined up leaves a lot of uncertainties. I know I want to do research, I have been out of undergrad for 7 years and put a lot of thought/time into considering what I want to do with my life. But from what I have read it seems like there may be better funding opportunities if I were to go for the masters first. I got into my top choice for a masters program so I am leaning towards that. Anyway, short story long :), thanks again for your thoughts on the subject.

Has anyone heard anything back from BU's DrPH program?

Does anyone know the typical timeline a program will let you know funding options? That is, for those programs that didn't include the funding info the initial acceptance offer.

I'm slated to visit a school for their Visit Day in mid-March, and I would like to know my funding option before I go. It'll influence my decision quite a bit.

I was accepted to Maryland last week with full funding... I was asked for an interview at UMD and then 3 weeks later (last week) was accepted. (So incredibly happy!)

Still waiting to hear from UNC, Tulane, USC - Columbia and UGA. Has anyone heard from these schools? I've been denied from Emory (my first choice, boo), NYU, Brown and Hopkins.

In response to other thread - I am high need for funding and already have 50k in debt from 3 degrees --- I don't think I could say yes if a school didn't offer funding!

That's going to vary by school. Best to just be upfront and ask if they know when those offers will come. Schools aren't naive, and they know funding will be a major factor in decisions.

Anyone else waiting admission decisions? I'm still waiting on UT, UMN, and Maryland. Not feeling too confident at this point in the admissions cycle.

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
Thank you! It is! Super congrats to you on USC! Are you going to accept? Where else did you apply to? I'm social/community and behavioral sciences, fyi. =)

I love Maryland, but am holding out to hear from UNC and USC... I don't think I would say yes to Tulane or UGA now though. It'll be tough decision for me if I get a good package at UNC though...

I was accepted to USC a couple weeks ago. I applied for Epidemiology, so the timeline may differ if you're looking at another concentration.

Congrats on UMD! That must be a big relief to get a fully funded offer, as well.

I really like the USC faculty, plus the funding package I was offered is very tempting. Also was accepted to Iowa and UIC, but no details on funding yet.

I'm sort of in the same boat, still waiting to hear from my top choice (Minnesota). Then there's the whole issue of receiving funding....
Yep - totally know what you mean... Well, I'll let you know if I get into USC! =) Good luck! I wish they would just let us know already haha The waiting is the worst!

Thank you both for your opinions on this. I don't have a masters so I planned to pay for that anyway. I didn't get assigned a permanent advisor at Pitt (they told me I would get one after I put down the deposit). I worry I wouldn't be working with someone that has similar interests, plus lack of any funding lined up leaves a lot of uncertainties. I know I want to do research, I have been out of undergrad for 7 years and put a lot of thought/time into considering what I want to do with my life. But from what I have read it seems like there may be better funding opportunities if I were to go for the masters first. I got into my top choice for a masters program so I am leaning towards that. Anyway, short story long :), thanks again for your thoughts on the subject.

Having been out of my PhD for a few years and on my second job (my first "real" job), I would not go to school without at least tuition/school fees covered. Employment can be tricky, and the first fellowship out of grad school can be really low paying--there's a lot of interest to rack up. Some careers pay well (enough), but may others, you may not get paid well for quite a while. And PhD normally takes 5+ years, that's a lot of opportunity cost + no income + no "work experience" for employers to give you a huge pay day when you do go for a job.

But that's me--I'm a pretty risk averse person. For some people, that uncertainty is okay.

Having been out of my PhD for a few years and on my second job (my first "real" job), I would not go to school without at least tuition/school fees covered. Employment can be tricky, and the first fellowship out of grad school can be really low paying--there's a lot of interest to rack up. Some careers pay well (enough), but may others, you may not get paid well for quite a while. And PhD normally takes 5+ years, that's a lot of opportunity cost + no income + no "work experience" for employers to give you a huge pay day when you do go for a job.

But that's me--I'm a pretty risk averse person. For some people, that uncertainty is okay.
Thank you for the advice. I actually decided to go with the masters first. I know I will be a lot more competitive once I have one and will have a greater chance to get some funding!

Hey All,

I'm currently an MPH student at BU and was wondering if anyone had any info on Colorado's School of Public Health PhD epi program or that school in general??? Thanks!!!!!!!!

I was accepted to Maryland last week with full funding... I was asked for an interview at UMD and then 3 weeks later (last week) was accepted. (So incredibly happy!)

Still waiting to hear from UNC, Tulane, USC - Columbia and UGA. Has anyone heard from these schools? I've been denied from Emory (my first choice, boo), NYU, Brown and Hopkins.

In response to other thread - I am high need for funding and already have 50k in debt from 3 degrees --- I don't think I could say yes if a school didn't offer funding!

I was accepted to UGA's Epi Ph.D. program back in February. Should be hearing about funding this week.

Thanks for being so hopeful and sharing all of your experiences. Generally, have employment outcomes been pretty good for your Epi PhD classmates? I've only seen figures for Yale and Emory, but outcomes seem much better than for PhD graduates in other fields who sometimes get stuck in perpetual post-docs. A lot of that must be because many Epi graduates go into industry, but I also saw a figure from Yale that said around 50% of graduates (!) had faculty positions within 5 years of graduating, and only 1 or 2 were in postdocs. Obviously, I don't expect to get rich working in public health, but I would like to earn a comfortable salary.

I was accepted to UGA's Epi Ph.D. program back in February. Should be hearing about funding this week.
Thanks for letting me know! I don't know what's taking the health, promotion and behavior department so long, even if its a denial I'd rather just know and get it over with! =) and CONGRATS! =)

For anyone that applied to UTHSC - I randomly checked the website and saw my decision posted (rejection).

Thanks for letting me know! I don't know what's taking the health, promotion and behavior department so long, even if its a denial I'd rather just know and get it over with! =) and CONGRATS! =)

Have you been checking gradstatus.uga.edu? That's where I found out mine well before the letter was sent out.

Thanks for being so hopeful and sharing all of your experiences. Generally, have employment outcomes been pretty good for your Epi PhD classmates? I've only seen figures for Yale and Emory, but outcomes seem much better than for PhD graduates in other fields who sometimes get stuck in perpetual post-docs. A lot of that must be because many Epi graduates go into industry, but I also saw a figure from Yale that said around 50% of graduates (!) had faculty positions within 5 years of graduating, and only 1 or 2 were in postdocs. Obviously, I don't expect to get rich working in public health, but I would like to earn a comfortable salary.

Nobody will get wealthy working a "typical" job--whether it's academics or industry. Comfortable also will be different depending on your spouse's income + children + student debt. Finances these days are much different than our parents' generations, so our expectations have to be different.

I have a feeling these employment numbers will be shifting in the coming years--I think fewer are going for academic positions. Most of my classmates have gone into other types of research positions (non-faculty) and obviously myself I've gone into biotech industry. They've all had no issues finding employment (unless it's for an academic position--in which case it's just waiting around to find a position in a place he/she wants to live). Typical salaries for beginning epi faculty is in the $70-75k-ish range for assistant professors. Biotech industry starting salaries are $110k+ (regional variation). Previous salary history will affect these salaries quite a bit. And there are many more jobs available in biotech these days, as well. So for me, it was a pretty easy choice. Plus, many great cities have biotech options. Of the jobs I interviewed for when I was looking--I had a choice of 3 biotech and 1 academic job in 4 different locations. I realized that as I was interviewing, more than job, location was more important to me. So I chose the place that made the most sense to me. Now that I'm a few months in, I made the right choice. Extremely happy living here in LA.

This is of course assuming that being something other than an academic is an acceptable form of employment. If working in biotech is not an ideal situation, then looking at government options (FDA, CDC, or NIH) is an option, although those positions are pretty rare and competitive, too, and mostly limited to DC or Atlanta.

T
Nobody will get wealthy working a "typical" job--whether it's academics or industry. Comfortable also will be different depending on your spouse's income + children + student debt. Finances these days are much different than our parents' generations, so our expectations have to be different.

I have a feeling these employment numbers will be shifting in the coming years--I think fewer are going for academic positions. Most of my classmates have gone into other types of research positions (non-faculty) and obviously myself I've gone into biotech industry. They've all had no issues finding employment (unless it's for an academic position--in which case it's just waiting around to find a position in a place he/she wants to live). Typical salaries for beginning epi faculty is in the $70-75k-ish range for assistant professors. Biotech industry starting salaries are $110k+ (regional variation). Previous salary history will affect these salaries quite a bit. And there are many more jobs available in biotech these days, as well. So for me, it was a pretty easy choice. Plus, many great cities have biotech options. Of the jobs I interviewed for when I was looking--I had a choice of 3 biotech and 1 academic job in 4 different locations. I realized that as I was interviewing, more than job, location was more important to me. So I chose the place that made the most sense to me. Now that I'm a few months in, I made the right choice. Extremely happy living here in LA.

This is of course assuming that being something other than an academic is an acceptable form of employment. If working in biotech is not an ideal situation, then looking at government options (FDA, CDC, or NIH) is an option, although those positions are pretty rare and competitive, too, and mostly limited to DC or Atlanta.

Thanks, really helpful. Good to hear that there are a decent number of options for employment. At first I was kind of thinking it was a government vs academia choice, but it sounds like there are plenty of options in biotech, think tanks, etc. I'm definitely not going anywhere without full-funding, and luckily don't have any debt from undergrad, so student debt shouldn't be an issue.

Hi! Has anyone heard back from Tulane? I applied to the Tropical Medicine PhD program and have heard nothing yet.

Hi! Has anyone heard back from Tulane? I applied to the Tropical Medicine PhD program and have heard nothing yet.

Hey, I applied to the Epi program and emailed them a little under 2 weeks ago and they said that applications are still under review...

I haven't heard back either... taking forever!

Have you been checking gradstatus.uga.edu? That's where I found out mine well before the letter was sent out.
Thanks -- checking now!!!! Never got a letter but was denied -- oh well, it was last school I wanted to go to anyways, and I'm already in one of my top choices =)

Last edited:
Anyone still waiting to hear back? I have 2 programs that I've heard nothing from. Typically, not a good sign by now.....

Anyone still waiting to hear back? I have 2 programs that I've heard nothing from. Typically, not a good sign by now.....

Still waiting to hear back from UAB, South Carolina, and Tulane. Tulane has had my application since Novemeber, and still no word..

Still waiting to hear back from UAB, South Carolina, and Tulane. Tulane has had my application since Novemeber, and still no word..
I applied to Tulane PhD in Community Health Sciences. I called today and Admissions told me the department has my application "on hold". I tried calling department but got no answer. I know some schools are on spring break this week, so that doesn't help.

I'm also waiting on South Carolina. All of my applications were sent in Mid-November. I've been accepted somewhere and really just want to make my decision already, so I hate that these two schools are slow!

Maybe they are fighting to choose between us? LOL What program did you apply to tguffey?

USC just told me that if I don't hear by Monday to call back. They should have final decisions this week/early next week I guess.

Tulane said my application is on hold, I just got in touch with someone at the department and they said they are waiting on the professor I would possibly work with... I take that as an acceptance from the committee and just waiting on answer from the professor! =D We shall see! She said she'll call/email me back asap.

USC just told me that if I don't hear by Monday to call back. They should have final decisions this week/early next week I guess.

Tulane said my application is on hold, I just got in touch with someone at the department and they said they are waiting on the professor I would possibly work with... I take that as an acceptance from the committee and just waiting on answer from the professor! =D We shall see! She said she'll call/email me back asap.

I just called the Tulane Epi dept after reading your post and she told me that admissions letters were sent out and should be arriving soon. When I asked her if she could tell me my decision, she said that I should go ahead and accept any other offers. We both kinda laughed after that lol. I was expecting it but now that I know for sure, I can focus on making my decision.

I applied to the Tropical Medicine PhD program. I just called Tulane and they said that my application has been accepted by the department and is now under review by the university. Does anybody have any idea about this process? Is university review more selective than departmental?!? I'm so excited and so nervous all at the same time!

Thanks for letting us know about SC and Tulane - hopefully I'll be hearing something this week! I applied to Epi for both.

Epi Ph.D. Were you priority deadline admission? I only submitted mine in early February.

No, but I submitted in late November. I think the adcom met in mid February, then I imagine they have met again or will do so very soon.

UNC Admitted Students day was yesterday-- for all PhD tracks. UTHS, Austin Regional campus (Health Behavior) got back to me about a month ago with an acceptance. Hope that helps!

I just received an acceptance email from Tulane for the Tropical Medicine PhD program. I' so freaking excited!! Tulane was definitely my first choice :)

I just received an acceptance email from Tulane for the Tropical Medicine PhD program. I' so freaking excited!! Tulane was definitely my first choice :)

Did they send you a letter via snail mail? Congratulations!

I applied to the Tropical Medicine PhD program. I just called Tulane and they said that my application has been accepted by the department and is now under review by the university. Does anybody have any idea about this process? Is university review more selective than departmental?!? I'm so excited and so nervous all at the same time!

I just got my email today saying the same thing! FINALLY. I applied for Community Health Sciences. I saw that you got accepted! Way to GO! --- Tulane didn't give me details, but U Maryland did. They told me that when the department recommends you its almost 100% that you will be accepted!

Did you get any kind of graduate assistantship package? Hopefully we'll find out soon...

I'm still waiting to hear from USC-Columbia... taking their sweet time. I want to know already so I can make my final decision! =)

I just called the Tulane Epi dept after reading your post and she told me that admissions letters were sent out and should be arriving soon. When I asked her if she could tell me my decision, she said that I should go ahead and accept any other offers. We both kinda laughed after that lol. I was expecting it but now that I know for sure, I can focus on making my decision.

Sorry about the denial but its nice that you both could laugh a little after. Were you accepted elsewhere? =)

Did they send you a letter via snail mail? Congratulations!

They notified me by email and said that a letter was also in the mail stating the same thing. If you haven't heard anything, you can try calling and ask to check on the status of your application. They're very helpful.

I just got my email today saying the same thing! FINALLY. I applied for Community Health Sciences. I saw that you got accepted! Way to GO! --- Tulane didn't give me details, but U Maryland did. They told me that when the department recommends you its almost 100% that you will be accepted!

Did you get any kind of graduate assistantship package? Hopefully we'll find out soon...

I'm still waiting to hear from USC-Columbia... taking their sweet time. I want to know already so I can make my final decision! =)

Congrats HNPlima! They said they would be sending information on funding later on. I talked to my departmental administrator and she said that she should know something by next Monday.

I'm still waiting to hear from three other programs too :-/

What's everyone hearing back funding-wise (you don't have to say specific schools)?

I've got one really good package, one so-so, and a couple others that are pretty disappointing, to be frank.

tguffey3 - any news yet from either schools? Try emailing/calling!

I'll call Tulane today. I called SC and they said Thursday they will notify me about acceptance and funding. They graduate director said "Don't worry that you haven't heard anything yet", so I'm hoping that's good news.