PhD Applicants-2015

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
I'll call Tulane today. I called SC and they said Thursday they will notify me about acceptance and funding. They graduate director said "Don't worry that you haven't heard anything yet", so I'm hoping that's good news.

That's good news. So glad we should know this week from SC!

Members don't see this ad.

What's everyone hearing back funding-wise (you don't have to say specific schools)?

I've got one really good package, one so-so, and a couple others that are pretty disappointing, to be frank.

One school is a good package, one school waiting on funding info, and third waiting on acceptance and funding =)

Congrats HNPlima! They said they would be sending information on funding later on. I talked to my departmental administrator and she said that she should know something by next Monday.

I'm still waiting to hear from three other programs too :-/

Epps! 3 others?! Which ones? I'm just waiting on one more, but still waiting on info from Tulane (funding, advisor, etc)

Members don't see this ad :)
Epps! 3 others?! Which ones? I'm just waiting on one more, but still waiting on info from Tulane (funding, advisor, etc)

There are two state schools but the main one I'm waiting to hear back from is the One Health PhD program at the University of Florida.

Sorry about the denial but its nice that you both could laugh a little after. Were you accepted elsewhere? =)
Yeah I have 3 acceptances so I'm pretty content. Still haven't heard from one school but I don't think I'd go there even if I got in.

What's everyone hearing back funding-wise (you don't have to say specific schools)?

I've got one really good package, one so-so, and a couple others that are pretty disappointing, to be frank.
I've got two pretty decent packages (full tuition, 20k+ stipend) and am waiting to hear back from the third. But they're aware of my fully-funded offers and so they're trying to speed up the process. So for those of you who have some funded and some "still waiting on funding" offers, I would suggest letting the "waiting" schools know about your funded options. It might help speed things up.

Yeah I have 3 acceptances so I'm pretty content. Still haven't heard from one school but I don't think I'd go there even if I got in.

I've got two pretty decent packages (full tuition, 20k+ stipend) and am waiting to hear back from the third. But they're aware of my fully-funded offers and so they're trying to speed up the process. So for those of you who have some funded and some "still waiting on funding" offers, I would suggest letting the "waiting" schools know about your funded options. It might help speed things up.

It may also help you get a large package :)

There are two state schools but the main one I'm waiting to hear back from is the One Health PhD program at the University of Florida.

I went there for undergrad and masters =) I'm a super Gator =)

Hey Raspberries -- So are you just writing and asking when you should here on funding offers because you have been offered a fully-funded offer from another school?

Vestal - Did you get a funding offer from Tulane?? I got my official letter of acceptance today, but it only came with a link to ASPPH funding opportunities. =( I don't want to have to go "scholarship searching" and I also want a graduate assistantship because of the training part of it!

Maryland is a better fit for me overall, vs. Tulane being a good fit on advisor/rank of program. If Tulane offers me a graduate assistantship then that changes things a little bit...

Has Tguffey heard anything from Tulane yet??

Hey Raspberries -- So are you just writing and asking when you should here on funding offers because you have been offered a fully-funded offer from another school?

Vestal - Did you get a funding offer from Tulane?? I got my official letter of acceptance today, but it only came with a link to ASPPH funding opportunities. =( I don't want to have to go "scholarship searching" and I also want a graduate assistantship because of the training part of it!

Maryland is a better fit for me overall, vs. Tulane being a good fit on advisor/rank of program. If Tulane offers me a graduate assistantship then that changes things a little bit...

I haven't heard about funding yet. My contact at Tulane said it should be a couple of days and then she'll know. SO FINGERS CROSSED!!

Did you like University of Florida? What did you think of Gainesville?

I haven't heard about funding yet. My contact at Tulane said it should be a couple of days and then she'll know. SO FINGERS CROSSED!!

Did you like University of Florida? What did you think of Gainesville?

I loved the University of Florida. It is HUGE with about 70,000 students. It's what makes the town. There's a cool midtown and downtown section to go out. Lots of clubs on campus, great libraries. The school of PH is located with the school of nursing/other health professions so everyone is together in the area by Shands Hospital, so generally you are in the same area for everything. I did my MS too, so I was funded through that, so i'm unsure of funding opportunities at UF.

You're EPI right? So it wouldn't make sense if I asked you for your contact name =P I'm going to write back the person who emailed me/my other contact about graduate assistantships and when we will find out since I have another offer... I was hoping Raspberries could give a few tips or show what she sent =)

Last edited:
I loved the University of Florida. It is HUGE with about 70,000 students. It's what makes the town. There's a cool midtown and downtown section to go out. Lots of clubs on campus, great libraries. The school of PH is located with the school of nursing/other health professions so everyone is together in the area by Shands Hospital, so generally you are in the same area for everything. I did my MS too, so I was funded through that, so i'm unsure of funding opportunities at UF.

You're EPI right? So it wouldn't make sense if I asked you for your contact name =P I think I might write back the person who emailed me/my other contact about graduate assistantships and when we will find out since I have another offer... I was hoping Raspberries could give a few tips or show what she sent =)

No I'm in tropical medicine. Sorry :-/ I knew who my contact was because it was listed in my acceptance email. Is there a name listed in your email? Or maybe email the contact listed on the Tulane website? It's: [email protected]

You're EPI right? So it wouldn't make sense if I asked you for your contact name =P I'm going to write back the person who emailed me/my other contact about graduate assistantships and when we will find out since I have another offer... I was hoping Raspberries could give a few tips or show what she sent =)

Thanks for the info about UF by the way!

No reply yet :/ I emailed Therese Carter to see if she could answer me directly

Members don't see this ad :)
Just heard back from SC Epi!
I'm guessing you got in?! Congrats! I got an email asking for a skype meeting on Friday sometime...

Just got a GA position I interviewed for at UMD though... Tulane isn't offering anything, but said there are possibilities of getting a TAship after you finish a class but you only get $1500 dollars per class.... or RAship is possible but only when you matriculate. I'm 99% positive not going there now.

No I'm in tropical medicine. Sorry :-/ I knew who my contact was because it was listed in my acceptance email. Is there a name listed in your email? Or maybe email the contact listed on the Tulane website? It's: [email protected]
Thanks - they were just slow on the official email. I have everything now =)

I'm guessing you got in?! Congrats! I got an email asking for a skype meeting on Friday sometime...

Just got a GA position I interviewed for at UMD though... Tulane isn't offering anything, but said there are possibilities of getting a TAship after you finish a class but you only get $1500 dollars per class.... or RAship is possible but only when you matriculate. I'm 99% positive not going there now.

Yes. I was accepted and offered in-state tuition. No stipends since I was late applying, but they said some should open up next semester and gave me a bunch of other GAs to apply for in the Fall - so we'll see. That's awesome about UMD - very hard offer to refuse. Also, that's crappy about Tulane. I finally got in touch with someone in admissions - they said they mailed me last week so I confirmed the address and it was completely wrong. They're sending me a new letter, so it will still be a few days before I hear. They refused to discuss it over the phone. So infuriating.

Sorry I didn't see this - haven't logged in a while. I actually had just emailed them asking when we'd find out about funding and they said they'll talk about it on Admitted Student Visit Day. So I just waited till then. At the visit day itself, they were talking about funding and how it's just on a rolling basis depending on if a faculty member gets funding, or if there are TA positions that open up. But they followed it up with - "however, if you do have funded offers from somewhere else, let me know" - and so I did haha. She's been on the lookout for me since then but nothing has come up yet. And I have to decide by 4/6 because that's the fully-funded school's deadline :(. I'm just super conflicted.

I got funding so I'm going to Tulane! I'm so excited! Anyone else on here going to New Orleans?

So where is everyone going? I'm going to post my stats for next year's cohort.

UG: Public Health Education. GPA: 3.0
Masters in Public Health (Epidemiology) from low/mid range school of public health. GPA: ~3.8
GRE: Verbal:160; Quant:156; AW: 4.0
Conference presentations: None
Publications: 1 as second author. 1 as first author, but not accepted by time of application. Name on a couple of white papers/technical reports.
Work experience: 1 semester internship w/county health department in undergrad; 1 year of AmeriCorps after graduating; 1 year full-time health education for county healthy department; 1.5 years (and counting) working for research center.
LoRs: 1 from faculty advisor, 1 from faculty/work supervisor, 1 from county health department manager.
Research interests: Cancer epidemiology, chronic disease epidemiology, nutritional sciences/nutritional epidemiology.

Applied: UIC, Minnesota, South Carolina, Texas, and Pitt
Accepted: UIC, Minnesota, and South Carolina
Attending: UIC

I liked Minnesota's program, but the funding offer was not viable for me. Headed to UIC this fall!