PhD in Clinical Psych

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

alistphdaspirant

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello,

I write from India.
I am currently doing a MPhil in psychology and I have planned for the research project (thesis requirement for completion of the program) in Social Psychology. I am interested in a mixed career of clinical practise and research in social psychology. So, I wish to study Clinical Psychology in the USA, with full funding.

Can someone help me find answers for the following queries?

1. Which is the best PsyD program? Will I get full funding if I get offered an admission?
2. If I choose to do a PhD in Clinical Psychology, is it a problem if I do my MPhil thesis in Social Psychology. Is it better to do the post graduate level research too in Clinical Psychology?

Please help
A-list PhD Aspirant :)

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Hello,

I write from India.
I am currently doing a MPhil in psychology and I have planned for the research project (thesis requirement for completion of the program) in Social Psychology. I am interested in a mixed career of clinical practise and research in social psychology. So, I wish to study Clinical Psychology in the USA, with full funding.

Can someone help me find answers for the following queries?

1. Which is the best PsyD program? Will I get full funding if I get offered an admission?
2. If I choose to do a PhD in Clinical Psychology, is it a problem if I do my MPhil thesis in Social Psychology. Is it better to do the post graduate level research too in Clinical Psychology?

Please help
A list PhD Aspirant :)

Your social psychology degree will be helpful regarding your research interests. Regarding clinical practice in the USA, the degree needs to be in clinical, counseling or school psychology, and at the doctoral level (PsyD, PhD), unless you have a terminal master's degree (like LCSW or MFT) that allow you to practice (as in therapeutic interventions and implementation of treatment plans).

1). The best bet is to search old SDN threads on the topic. "Best programs"...either PsyD or PhD...have been discussed ad nauseam. You'll benefit from reading through the existing SDN discussions. Some programs will offer full and partial funding, some will not. So your own research will be needed to figure out who offers what, which programs seem good for you, and to read up on their reputations and statistics here and other places.

2) No, it is not a problem to have a Masters in any degree (especially if the degree afforded you research experience), but you must make sure you have prerequisite courses before you apply to doctoral programs in professional psychology (again, clinical, counseling or school psychology). And you will need to link how your existing degree(s) relate to why you want to study clinical psychology (both in your narratives and personal statements). I know folks who have attended doctoral training with masters degrees in business, public health, even journalism...but they all had the necessary coursework also to secure a spot in clinical doctoral programs.

Each program brochure should clearly state this, and if the program does not, you can contact the graduate school office of the university. You may eventually consider your MPhil in Social Psychology...a 'resume builder." It is painfully true that I consider my M.A. degree in general psychology the same, a 'resume builder,' meaning it got me where I needed (a clinical degree), but with less than 10 credits transferring to my doctoral program, it mainly prepared me for being an efficient graduate student and molded my research interests in further. And yes, it is always great to do post-graduate level research to make your application more competitive. I don't know if it is necessary for you, in particular, but you can decide that after doing some more self-study on the topic of how and which program to apply.

Good luck! :luck:

Last edited: