PhD in Counseling Psychology after MA in Biblical Counseling?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

corndog56

7+ Year Member
Reaction score

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Probably not with masters in biblical counseling, no.

Practically, you'd have to deal with the fallout of the unpleasantness of those discrimination lawsuits from anti-gay students and footnote 4 nonsense (I'm not suggesting that you're homophobic, that all people who attend biblical programs are homophobic, or that it would be ok for a program to discriminate on the basis of religious background; I'm just stating what I think is reality).

Christians need counseling too. I'm not clear about why you'd need a biblical counseling degree to do research on their preferences and outcomes for various modes of therapy.

Members don't see this ad :)
There are a number of programs with a religious emphasis. Normally they are in Theology or Seminaries. Rosemead has psychodynamic and Christian focus in all of their PhD and PsyD Clinical Psychology programs and their student get an MA in Theology. I have heard that Our Lady of the Lake PsyD program is similar.

Many psychologists working from an integrated biopsychosocial model fully recognize the importance of spirituality, belief systems, and religion for positive treatment outcomes.

Wheaton has a Christianity religious focus in their PsyD clinical psychology program. There are many clinical psychology program that emphasize biblical studies and integration of psychology and religion.

There is even a book that integrates the Bible and psychotherapy and some of these psychologist actively engage in prayer during sessions.

Last edited:
I have never met a nouthetic counselor, I think I would enjoy it.

Can I message you? =D

There are a number of programs with a religious emphasis. Normally they are in Theology or Seminaries. Rosemead has psychodynamic and Christian focus in all of their PhD and PsyD Clinical Psychology programs and their student get an MA in Theology. I have heard that Our Lady of the Lake PsyD program is similar.

Many psychologists working from an integrated biopsychosocial model fully recognize the importance of spirituality, belief systems, and religion for positive treatment outcomes.

Wheaton has a Christianity religious focus in their PsyD clinical psychology program. There are many clinical psychology program that emphasize biblical studies and integration of psychology and religion.

There is even a book that integrates the Bible and psychotherapy and some of these psychologist actively engage in prayer during sessions.

Thanks, I have looked at these schools. While I do think the program is right up my alley, I would highly prefer to go to a funded PhD program. We all know that Psychology isn't the best paying field out there, and $150k+ in debt is not an option. Christianity, likewise, is not a well compensating profession, unless you're one of those heretics on TV ;)

Do you know the title of the book? Sounds like an interesting read.

I have never met a nouthetic counselor, I think I would enjoy it.

Can I message you? =D

Sure!

Why not go into pastoral counseling?

I have considered this. However, if I am going to practice an integrated approach to counseling, I would need more than a Bachelor's level understanding of Psychology.

Thanks, I have looked at these schools. While I do think the program is right up my alley, I would highly prefer to go to a funded PhD program. We all know that Psychology isn't the best paying field out there, and $150k+ in debt is not an option. Christianity, likewise, is not a well compensating profession, unless you're one of those heretics on TV ;)

Do you know the title of the book? Sounds like an interesting read.

I will see if I can find the name of the book. All of the programs I mentioned are Funded programs with small cohorts. Rosemead has many graduates on faculty at major programs

Last edited:
I have considered this. However, if I am going to practice an integrated approach to counseling, I would need more than a Bachelor's level understanding of Psychology.

I personally know three Catholic priests, one I went to high school with, that have advanced degrees in pastoral counseling are have a solid grasp of mental health.

I would try to contact someone in Div 36 to find out more about programs that would support research into spirituality. There is good work to be done on both positive and negative aspects of religion and spirituality. If you do want to be a psychologist, I think it is important to remember that we are scientists first and foremost and the challenge of integrating science with religion and/or spirituality can be formidable. Just ask Galileo or Copernicus about how that worked out. :(

Some seminaries and Christian universities also offer CACREP accredited programs in counseling. However, as I posted in another thread yesterday, be sure about pursuing counseling as a career. It is typically low paying profession and getting post master's hours towards licensure is very difficult and costly in terms of both time and money. Jobs are scarce even post licensure. Pastoral counseling is an alternative, though to be honest, I think you will have a hard time finding a job (also with an M.A. in Biblical Counseling). If you are absolutely sure you want to do psychotherapy, consider a clinical track MSW. If you are interested in ministry, I think chaplaincy is a great alternative.

Biblical Stories for Psychotherapy and Counseling: A Sourcebook (Haworth Pastoral Press Religion and Mental Health) Paperback – April 17, 2004
by Kalman Kaplan (Author), Matthew Schwartz (Author)