PhD in Counseling Psychology

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

wreckognition

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi all,

I'm going to be applying to a counseling psychology PhD program this year and I was wondering if people with that type of degree are able to work with children and adolescents in childrens mental health clinics, or if I would need to have a degree in clinical psychology instead. Thanks.

Members don't see this ad.

It will depend on the state(s) you will be potentially working in, but many (most? all?) will accept a counseling Ph.D. For licensure as a psychologist. My state requires a "doctoral degree in psychology," with no distinction between clinical or counseling at the licensure level. The doctoral program will need to meet minimum standards for content and structure, often requiring APA accreditation or equivalent. Look for specific coursework and applied training opportunities related to child/adolescent mental health so that you'll be qualified as well as credentialed.

Just curious- why are you limiting applications to just counseling programs, rather than programs of any type that will help you meet your career goals?

Hi all,

I'm going to be applying to a counseling psychology PhD program this year and I was wondering if people with that type of degree are able to work with children and adolescents in childrens mental health clinics, or if I would need to have a degree in clinical psychology instead. Thanks.

As long as your clinical practice experience and internship includes experience work with children, families and adolescents and you are appropriately licensed you will not be restricted by a Counseling Psych degree. You just want to have strong coursework in development and supervision of child/family work and shape your identity (and maybe research?) to emphasize life span practice. For example, don't do all your practicum in a university based clinic (unless they also serve the community and you would get more than 2 years of child/teen experience).

It will depend on the state(s) you will be potentially working in, but many (most? all?) will accept a counseling Ph.D. For licensure as a psychologist.
There are no states that differentiate between clinical and counseling psychology when it comes to being license eligible as a psychologist.

As they say, focus on training experiences that fit your interests with less concern about 'clinical' versus 'counseling'. I know plenty of folks in counseling psych programs who work with children as their primary area of interest and have obtained competitive child-focused internships/post-docs.