PhD in pharmaceutical outcome research?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

mandyL

mandyL
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm wondering if anyone is interested in or has any insight in a phd degree in pharmaceutical outcome research. I know it's a highly inter-disciplinary area, but many of the people in this field hold pharmD degree.

Members don't see this ad.

What kind of work can you get with that? Can one teach, if so, what subject?

Members don't see this ad :)
You can do a lot.... Government agencies, academia, public health/policy, health administration, quality improvement, consulting, global health....some of the graduates are at the NIH and similar organizations. It's a versatile degree, really. We've got graduates all over the place.

Our profs teach research methods, stats, drug lit/information, quality improvement, pharmacoeconomics, practice management, and guide the PharmD students with their senior projects (IRB proposals and all that). They teach over in public health and the med school too.

Thanks for replying, rxlea! I would be grateful if you could recommend some highly reputable programs in this area. I studied pharmaceutical science in college and now I'm a master's student in clinical trials epidemiology at Johns Hopkins School of Public Health. Guess I'm not completely new to this area but I still have confusions about what it is, how it works and what I can get out of it. I'm interested in working in pharmaceutical industry (clinical phase1-4, pharmacoeconomics, etc) and I think a phd in pharmaceutical outcome research is a good preparation.(?) How long does the program usually take to complete? What kind of research do PhD students do during the program?

maybe start by looking at the top pharmacy schools because they are more likely to have a more solid PhD program. I say this because they tend to be more research based. Look at the individual websites to get more info

Reactions: 1 user
Thanks for replying, rxlea! I would be grateful if you could recommend some highly reputable programs in this area. I studied pharmaceutical science in college and now I'm a master's student in clinical trials epidemiology at Johns Hopkins School of Public Health. Guess I'm not completely new to this area but I still have confusions about what it is, how it works and what I can get out of it. I'm interested in working in pharmaceutical industry (clinical phase1-4, pharmacoeconomics, etc) and I think a phd in pharmaceutical outcome research is a good preparation.(?) How long does the program usually take to complete? What kind of research do PhD students do during the program?

I don't know anything about the other programs. I was already in the PharmD program here. It takes about 4.5 to 5 years but if you come in with a masters it will be three or less. It's hard to give an exact timing though. It all depends on dissertation and oral defense.

As for the research:

pharmacoeconomic modeling, quality improvement, health outcomes, pharmacy education, health disparities, medication error reduction, health IT, drug-drug interactions, quality of care measures, health care access, undeserved populations, and much more. There is a plethora of things to study. Everyone comes out of the program with a unique experience and career interests/goals. As I mentioned, it's a very versatile degree. My interests are health disparities/inequities, quality improvement, and patient education.

There is more detailed information on the website though... Just google University of Arizona Pharmaceutical economics, policy, and outcomes. It will be the first hit. You can see the core curriculum and a description of the research. If you need more information, I can do a virtual introduction for you with one of our faculty.

:D

I know you said a PhD, but we have a pharmd that did a fellowship in outcomes research. She's focused mainly on pharmacoeconomics and public health initiatives. I'm doing a rotation with her in the fall. Apparently, it's a hot and upcoming field.

I know you said a PhD, but we have a pharmd that did a fellowship in outcomes research. She's focused mainly on pharmacoeconomics and public health initiatives. I'm doing a rotation with her in the fall. Apparently, it's a hot and upcoming field.

That's super cool!!!

Yeah, that's part of my interest in it. I hated stats/economics/etc before I took the quality improvement class and research methods class taught by my mentor. Then my whole world was opened up.

Let me know how the rotation turns out. Based on what I've seen of your posts, I bet you're gonna dig it.

PhD in pharmaceutical outcomes is something that I decided to do after my Pharm.D (10 yrs of college lol). I am scheduled to begin my semester this August and I cant wait to get started.I think Rxlea explained it very well but If you have any specific questions on the Ph.D feel free to PM me.I did lots and lots of research trying to find the best program and can point some out to you if you like :)

Did you have to take the GRE to get into the PhD program?

I'm also interested in this program. I am now in a master program in pharmaceutical analysis, so I am not very clear of the prospective career of the pharmaceutical outcome research PhD. At stake is to choose a good-quality PhD program. I've been searching on the webpage of the ISPE(international society of pharmacoepidemiology?), but there are also other schools of pharmacy/public health/medicine which offer similar programs. Looking up school by school is a bit exhausting, and it's great to have fellows! Hope we can share valuable information about programs and careers here:)