PhD/PsyD PhD in Psych with Emphasis on Clinical Experience

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

kmclach10

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm applying to PhD/PsyD programs in Clinical Psychology this fall for the fall 2016 semester. I really want to apply to schools with an emphasis on clinical experience rather than research. I don't dislike research or anything, however my ultimate goal is to work in therapy with clients as a psychologist. I really want to obtain experience in counselling in my PhD/PsyD. However, I'm leaning more towards a PhD programs as they seem to be more reputable and I have heard there are some with just as much clinical emphasis as PsyD programs. I've already considered doing a Masters instead, but I have decided a doctorate program is in my best interest.

I was wondering if anyone could point out a few schools that have a strong emphasis on clinical experience for their PhD program.

Thank you so much :)

Members don't see this ad.

I'd strongly suggest getting the Insider's Guide if you have not yet. While their ratings are far from perfect (particularly given there is often some variability attributable to mentors within programs), it usually paints a pretty decent picture of what schools have strong clinical experiences. Anything 3-5 (assuming they are still using a 1-7 scale) should meet your needs....the reputable programs typically don't go below 3.

Off the top of my head, U Montana and Auburn both spring to mind as schools that provide excellent clinical training, but still a solid research background. Tons and tons of others fit that criteria as well, those were just the first two that popped to mind.

Members don't see this ad :)
I'm applying to PhD/PsyD programs in Clinical Psychology this fall for the fall 2016 semester. I really want to apply to schools with an emphasis on clinical experience rather than research. I don't dislike research or anything, however my ultimate goal is to work in therapy with clients as a psychologist. I really want to obtain experience in counselling in my PhD/PsyD. However, I'm leaning more towards a PhD programs as they seem to be more reputable and I have heard there are some with just as much clinical emphasis as PsyD programs. I've already considered doing a Masters instead, but I have decided a doctorate program is in my best interest.

I was wondering if anyone could point out a few schools that have a strong emphasis on clinical experience for their PhD program.

Thank you so much :)

Where do you want to work? IMO it's better to plan it out first by who has the clinical experiences you want (don't want to intend on a VA career or a forensics career and then apply to a bunch of places without VAs or prisons).

DEFINITELY get the Insiders Guide to Graduate Programs in Clinical and Counseling Psychology book. I myself am in the process of applying to clinically oriented programs as well and that book saved my life. It lists every school that offers a PhD or PsyD in Clinical Psychology, its rating on a scale of 1-7 (1= clinical 7= research), along with average GPA, GRE scores, required classes, research emphases offered, and tons of other information for potential applicants. Its truly amazing.

Thank you all so much! You helped a lot. I bought the Insiders Guide yesterday :)

Reactions: 1 user