PhD in Psychology, PsyD or PhD in Social Work

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
D

deleted690116

Hi everyone,

Some of you may have seen my posts in the pre-medical or non-trad forums

I have been doing a lot of career exploration and soul searching recently.:joyful::confused::)

It's been insightful and wonderful.

Anyway, putting the MD option to one side, I have a few question regarding the following:

The overall differences between a PhD in Psychology, a PhD in Social work and a PsyD

1. Are fully-funded PsyD programs harder to come by?
2. I am leaning more toward PhD programs, but regarding these:
What is the main difference of the two?

Thanks and best everyone!

Members don't see this ad.

As WisNeuro suggested, search of the forums will be very helpful. In brief:

1. Yes
2. Psychology and Social Work are two different fields; it's similar in some ways to asking about the differences between a PhD in biology vs. chemistry. Although one big difference is that a doctoral degree is required to be licensed and to practice as a psychologist (in the US), while social workers are licensed at the master's level and the doctorate is generally an academic pursuit. Some day-to-day job activities will overlap (e.g., psychotherapy) while others will not (e.g., psychological assessment for psychologists; case management for social workers).

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
I think this resource has some answers you may be looking for: http://clinicalpsychgradschool.org/phdor.php

I might be missing something, but that web site seems to purposefully exclude most PsyD programs from their list of accredited programs. (http://clinicalpsychgradschool.org/accre.php)

Being philosophically opposed to freestanding professional programs is of course fine (and maybe appropriate), but this website seems misleading and manipulative. Am I missing something?

Reactions: 1 user