PhD in School Psychology Career Options

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

amanda12202

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Some background info: My predominate areas of interest are working with children on the autism spectrum, and children who are emotionally/behaviorally disturbed. I have applied to 3 programs, and am trying to decide what makes the most sense. One program is a masters that leads to ABA (applied behavior analysis) certification, while the other 2 are phds in school psychology. The Phds certainly give me more options, but I want to make sure getting a phd will be worth the time and money. What I don't want is to get a phd and a psychology license and have a job that I could have gotten with a masters and an ABA certificate. So... basically I want a phd but don't want to foolishly waste my time and money if my career options will be the same. Keep in mind, I do NOT want to be in a school setting after graduating: I would like to be in a clinic/hospital setting, or open my own practice.

Does anybody have any input on what could be done with a phd in school psychology in the field of autism or ebd? All comments are welcomed! Also any input on ABA cert. vs psych license...

Members don't see this ad.

From my (limited) experience in Canada (and the US may be very different-- funding for autism and ABA programs is radically different in Canada versus the States)-- if you want to actually and actively work with these children, an ABA certificate is all you need. The PhD will have no additional benefit unless you want to supervise or coordinate these programs (which would involve little one-to-one contact with the children). Others can comment more on the process in the US, but my instinct is that it will be similar and ABA is likely adequate for your career goals.

Hi again!

From what you've described your goals as and from what research I've done into programs and careers for myself, I would just get my BCBA and work as a provider of ABA services (which has a long reach because few people and school districts really realize that ABA is recommended, at least by the NYS DOH, as the intervention for a lot of developmental and other disabilities, including Downs syndrome) and as a consultant.

Members don't see this ad :)
Hi again!

From what you've described your goals as and from what research I've done into programs and careers for myself, I would just get my BCBA and work as a provider of ABA services (which has a long reach because few people and school districts really realize that ABA is recommended, at least by the NYS DOH, as the intervention for a lot of developmental and other disabilities, including Downs syndrome) and as a consultant.

Hello!!

I have been thinking everything over pretty intently over the last few days, and have come the the conclusion that I would prefer my phd in school psych to going to get my masters in aba. The reasons being that my end goal is to open up my own all-inclusive autism center. All-inclusive meaning (ABA, OT, PT, Parent Training et al), and feel I could do this best with a psychology license. Most insurance in most states require a psychologist the sign off on ABA programs for coverage. I would prefer to be able to supervise the programs rather than hire someone to do it. I also want to be able to contract out with school districts to help them better serve that population of students while complying with federal mandates, and feel that having a background in school psychology would better enable me to do so. Thank you so much for all of your input! :)

Not that I want to put a damper in your plans, but many many states only require a masters degree to run your own DD agency. State by state requirements differ on this, but many states do NOT require one to be a licensed psychologist to do this.

Hello!!

I have been thinking everything over pretty intently over the last few days, and have come the the conclusion that I would prefer my phd in school psych to going to get my masters in aba. The reasons being that my end goal is to open up my own all-inclusive autism center. All-inclusive meaning (ABA, OT, PT, Parent Training et al), and feel I could do this best with a psychology license. Most insurance in most states require a psychologist the sign off on ABA programs for coverage. I would prefer to be able to supervise the programs rather than hire someone to do it. I also want to be able to contract out with school districts to help them better serve that population of students while complying with federal mandates, and feel that having a background in school psychology would better enable me to do so. Thank you so much for all of your input! :)