PhD level psychologist with application in process for license

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

MDPsychologist

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello All, I am a PhD graduate in the process of applying for licensure in New York. I am wondering if I can take up a job in a exempt setting (non-profits) until my licensure application is reviewed by the board. I want to make sure that it would be legal. I have tried to contact the board but haven't been able to get any answers from them. Do I need to have a supervisor in such an exempt setting providing any kind of therapy? Looking forward to opinion from experts here in the forum. I am also having trouble finding any supervised position in New York. Does anyone have an experience and suggestions to help me find a position here.

Members don't see this ad.

I would not practice psychology without a license without a designated (and appropriate) supervisor. Seems pretty cut and dry to me.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Depending on the timing of everything, you might check to see if you qualify for a limited permit while you are waiting for the full license. Most states have some kind of limited license process for a variety of circumstances.

I have tried to contact the board but haven't been able to get any answers from them.

This doesn't seem that complicated. Have you asked a person, "I'm in the process of applying for licensure. Can I independently practice psychology at XYZ Agency in the meantime?"

Thanks for your responses. I understand that this would clearly be an ethical violation. With this in mind, how do people not from an APA-approved program find a supervised position after completion of their PhDs and before the board approves their application to sit for EPPP and limited permit. Do people usually wait until they hear from the board and clear their EPPP before finding a supervised position. I would appreciate answers from experts here. I am an international applicant and don't have experience with these. Thanks in advance.

Thanks for your responses. I understand that this would clearly be an ethical violation. With this in mind, how do people not from an APA-approved program find a supervised position after completion of their PhDs and before the board approves their application to sit for EPPP and limited permit.

I would imagine they don't.

Thanks for your responses. I understand that this would clearly be an ethical violation. With this in mind, how do people not from an APA-approved program find a supervised position after completion of their PhDs and before the board approves their application to sit for EPPP and limited permit. Do people usually wait until they hear from the board and clear their EPPP before finding a supervised position. I would appreciate answers from experts here. I am an international applicant and don't have experience with these. Thanks in advance.

Most people find a post doc while in the process of completing internship, which in the USA is the final degree requirement for a PhD. Usual assortment of networking through various means.

You're going to have trouble finding someone to supervise you until the board rules on if your degree is equivalent or not. I would not be willing to supervise someone only to have to go back to patients and say that the supervisee was deemed unqualified by the regulatory body. It's not just an ethical problem. There are very real legal liabilities including civil lawsuits, board complaints, and insurance law.

It's going to be tough sailing. I believe NY requires applicants to come from accredited programs. If the program is not accredited, it must be determined to be the equivalent of an accredited program. So, a lot of documentation and several waivers will need to be approved. Additionally, the uncertainty of not yet having taken the EPPP is another factor. A supervisor first would have to determine that your training was adequate, and they would have to take the risk that you may not pass the EPPP or that your license application may take quite a long time to straighten out. The whole time they would have to supervise and be responsible for your documentation. It's a huge time sink, and subsequently a loss of revenue for those individuals.

Reactions: 1 user
Many states won't license someone from a grad program that is not APA approved. Internship is a different story. I won't supervise someone not from an APA approved program because in my state it's a requirement.

If something is an APA ethical violation it is often against state laws in most states.

If you try to practice without a license or without being under supervision you risk fines, losing any opportunity to be licensed, and maybe even jail time.

Your school should have taught or at least discussed these things with you. One should never attend a grad psychology program that isn't APA approved.

Good luck

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk

You should wait for the board's answer before you proceed.

There's nothing wrong with an agency employing you prior to becoming licensed, but you would need to refrain from non-clinical work until you receive a license. For reasons WisNeuro pointed out, most employers won't invest money into a person who can't begin generating revenue soon after hire, especially if there's a chance that they might not be licensed right away.

You should wait for the board's answer before you proceed.

There's nothing wrong with an agency employing you prior to becoming licensed, but you would need to refrain from non-clinical work until you receive a license. For reasons WisNeuro pointed out, most employers won't invest money into a person who can't begin generating revenue soon after hire, especially if there's a chance that they might not be licensed right away.

What if the employer is a non profit organization with no intent to make money but to help trauma survivors?

What if the employer is a non profit organization with no intent to make money but to help trauma survivors?

What does that have to do with anything?

Last edited:

Profit or nonprofit is irrelevant. Even if the agency provides services free of charge with no attempt to get reimbursement, how they finance their services doesn't change the basic standards for clinical practice.

Agree with the above--wait until you hear back from the board. Even if you aren't getting paid, given that you have a doctorate in psychology and you'd be working with trauma survivors providing what most would consider mental health care, odds are that'd be viewed as practicing psychology without a license.

I think op is just confused about the NY law regarding "exempt" settings and the use of the protected title "psychologist" in such settings. These laws are on the books in a few states. The incredible majority of states with these laws are specifically referring to MA level state employees who are allowed to call themselves psychologist. In order for this work around to happen, a state agency must file for exempt status, and then the employee must file for licensure under this exempt status. It does not transfer when a person leaves the state agency's employ. It is not what OP is implying.

If the questions is what can you do while waiting for a limited license in NY, the answer is no clinical work. I was hired following completion of my degree and had to wait until my limited license was approved. That took somewhere around 6-7 months and I had an APA approved program and internship. Once that begins you can accrue supervised hours and take the EPPP to gain licensure. Some NY places are exempt from requiring a limited license (state facilities, etc), but they are rare and generally selective. This also does not change license requirements. You simply do not require approval for the limited permit in those settings. Your setting should be aware if they are exempt.

If the questions is what can you do while waiting for a limited license in NY, the answer is no clinical work. I was hired following completion of my degree and had to wait until my limited license was approved. That took somewhere around 6-7 months and I had an APA approved program and internship. Once that begins you can accrue supervised hours and take the EPPP to gain licensure. Some NY places are exempt from requiring a limited license (state facilities, etc), but they are rare and generally selective. This also does not change license requirements. You simply do not require approval for the limited permit in those settings. Your setting should be aware if they are exempt.

Thanks for the detailed response and clarifying it for me. Thankfully, I was able to talk to the board too and they clarified it for me as well.