PhD, MD, or MD/PhD?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

jfar18

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi all,

I am taking a little time after finishing my undergrad to figure out how to get where I want to go.

My career end-goal is to do both basic and clinical microbiology/infectious disease research, but to also work in a hospital lab, ideally helping with ID/micro cases.

My options are:
1) MD/PhD programs with a PhD in basic micro or translational micro/ID, followed by a clinical pathology residency, and perhaps a clinical micro fellowship

2) straight MD programs with research in the summers, CP residency, clinical micro fellowship

3) PhD programs in translational ID/micro (there are a few programs that even include some patient contact and rounding), followed by a clinical micro fellowship (and/or a post-doc?)

I am concerned about applying to either MD or MD/PhD programs though, because I'm not sure if I'd be doing it for the right reasons.
I wouldn't really be in medicine to personally help individuals face to face: I want to be in the lab.
I don't really want to disimpact bowels; I am afraid I won't have what it takes to tell a mother that her child is dying; I don't know how I would handle someone dying because of something I did or didn't do. How does anybody know they can handle that?
Also, while in medical school, I would miss micro like crazy.

I definitely want to be in the clinical laboratory though, helping interpret results. Do I need an MD for this, or could I just focus my PhD and post-grad work clinically?

Sorry for the long, rambling post. Any input would be incredibly helpful.
Thanks in advance!

Members don't see this ad.

I wouldn't really be in medicine to personally help individuals face to face: I want to be in the lab.

This comment right here makes me think that you don't need an MD. Unless you specifically want to work with patients and directly participate in patient care, then it's just a collosal waste of time and effort.

I don't really want to disimpact bowels; I am afraid I won't have what it takes to tell a mother that her child is dying; I don't know how I would handle someone dying because of something I did or didn't do. How does anybody know they can handle that?

Again, I'm a little bit worried that you don't really want patient contact. Patient contact is not all as hard as telling someone that a child is dying, but there are plenty of difficult times. There are also plenty of rewarding ones, like when a patient sends you an email to say you really helped them and they appreciate your help. If you feel the negative aspects of patient care are the predominant ones, then MD again probably isn't for you.

I definitely want to be in the clinical laboratory though, helping interpret results. Do I need an MD for this, or could I just focus my PhD and post-grad work clinically?

If you want to interpret clinical results for purposes of clinical care, then you need to be a pathologist (an MD). If you want to work on the technical aspects of developing new tests and work closely with pathologists in research and collaboration, then a PhD in a biology oriented field may be appropriate.

I'm leaning towards just telling you not to go to medical school because it seems like you're not interested in being a clinician. I mean, I'm a radiologist, which by all accounts has the least patient care of all (along with pathology). I routinely interact with patients for procedures and imaging exams, although more of my contact is with other doctors.

Perhaps it's best to find a pathologist who does what you think you want to do. If you see it, and that absolutely has to be part of your career, then go to medical school. Otherwise graduate research may be much more appropriate to your desires.

Reactions: 1 user