PhD or MSPH

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

JaneOakmede

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I have been accepted into the PhD program at Pitt and the MSPH program at Emory, both for epi (I don't currently have a masters degree). I am torn as what to do. As of now I have not been offered any funding at Pitt, which is a big turnoff. I understand that many students are able to secure research positions once they are there, so there is that possibility. I would also be paying full price for Emory, but it's only for 2 years and then I could reapply for PhD's with perhaps a better shot at getting funding. They both have faculty conducting infectious disease research, which is what I am interested in. I definitely want to get a PhD. I would also like to apply for EIS at the CDC once I have completed my doctorate. Does anyone have any insight/suggestions? Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
With a PhD, it is almost always likely that you can find a program that will take you with funding. Unless Pitt has some faculty that you really want to do research with, I would actually suggest going the MSPH route first. Assuming you do some good research while at Emory (doubt this would be an issue), you could very well get into a PhD program with full funding. This would add an extra two years and you'd still be taking on debt, but your debt load would be potentially lighter.

It's great that you have been accepted into a PhD program and I imagine it would be incredibly difficult to turn down either of those options! I would look at the total cost of attendance for each program and whether or not you would benefit (get good research) from doing the MSPH first.

With a PhD, it is almost always likely that you can find a program that will take you with funding. Unless Pitt has some faculty that you really want to do research with, I would actually suggest going the MSPH route first. Assuming you do some good research while at Emory (doubt this would be an issue), you could very well get into a PhD program with full funding. This would add an extra two years and you'd still be taking on debt, but your debt load would be potentially lighter.

It's great that you have been accepted into a PhD program and I imagine it would be incredibly difficult to turn down either of those options! I would look at the total cost of attendance for each program and whether or not you would benefit (get good research) from doing the MSPH first.
Thanks for your insight! I would love to go straight into the PhD program but it is hard without a firm funding offer. Apparently, a lot of people enter Pitt without one though (which surprised me).

Members don't see this ad :)
Thanks for your insight! I would love to go straight into the PhD program but it is hard without a firm funding offer. Apparently, a lot of people enter Pitt without one though (which surprised me).

That surprises me as well. Accepting a PhD offer without funding is a rough decision. If there are great research opportunities for you there, then go for it though! Good luck on your decision!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

That surprises me as well. Accepting a PhD offer without funding is a rough decision. If there are great research opportunities for you there, then go for it though! Good luck on your decision!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Thanks! And same to you!

Just out of curiosity, what did you decide to do? I am applying to Emory MSPH and Pittsburgh PhD now (I also don't have a masters) but I am wondering if I should apply to Pittsburgh MS instead and see if I can get transferred into their PhD program afterwards? I am from PA so Pittsburgh is my first choice due to location alone