PhD scientist considering med school

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

argonarin

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi there, this is my first post. I'm considering starting to study for the MCAT and applying for med school for 2017. I'm 31, got my PhD in 2013, and now work for a small biotech company. No family responsibilities. I like my job and love science, but I would rather work with people in some kind of caring role, and my job is not guaranteed past 2016. I have been considering medical school for over 10 years, but have put it off for various reasons. I have a 4.0 undergrad and grad school GPA. I also have experience teaching middle and high school science. Will I look like a total flake to admissions considering this will technically be my third career? I have lots of previous volunteering experience tutoring and working with kids, but no recent volunteering or clinical experience. Any recommendations for me concerning getting more clinical experience and becoming a stronger applicant?

Members don't see this ad.

Time to start shadowing an doing some clinical volunteering. Hospitals, clinics, Planned Parenthood, camps for sick kids, Ronald McDonald House, hospice, nursing homes, suicide/crisis hotlines.

You'll need to show us that you really want to be around sick people for the next 40 years, and show off your altruism, plus show us that you know what you're getting into.

I have lots of previous volunteering experience tutoring and working with kids, but no recent volunteering or clinical experience. Any recommendations for me concerning getting more clinical experience and becoming a stronger applicant?

Reactions: 1 user
Hi there, this is my first post. I'm considering starting to study for the MCAT and applying for med school for 2017. I'm 31, got my PhD in 2013, and now work for a small biotech company. No family responsibilities. I like my job and love science, but I would rather work with people in some kind of caring role, and my job is not guaranteed past 2016. I have been considering medical school for over 10 years, but have put it off for various reasons. I have a 4.0 undergrad and grad school GPA. I also have experience teaching middle and high school science. Will I look like a total flake to admissions considering this will technically be my third career? I have lots of previous volunteering experience tutoring and working with kids, but no recent volunteering or clinical experience. Any recommendations for me concerning getting more clinical experience and becoming a stronger applicant?

Fellow PhD here (public health). Did active Army prior to starting medical school so it is definitely possible. I don't think you would look like a "flake" at all. I'm married with a few kids and have had an abundance of jobs/careers. However, I agree with Goro regarding the involvement with patients/people. I was an EMT/Paramedic since high school and continued doing that throughout college and grad school.

Definitely get out there and experience some of that clinical stuff!